Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Walter (Rohrl) may need to up his insurance policy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:07 PM
GBorrelli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rsman
A 7:22 with that kind if driving leads me to beleive that the time has room for improvement.
haha i said the same thing. The guy redlined the **** out of it, and mis-shifted a few times.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Wow, that guy is moving!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
greygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to all
The ACR is something special on the track. You can be sure this pro driver did laps without banging off the limiter and compared the two. There was a reason why he choose the shift points the way he did. The paid him for the fastest lap possible. Make no mistake this guy was hangin it out big time. Bottom line nothing on this planet compares to this car for 100k if lap times are your main concern.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
That was a GT2, and a heavily modded one at that. No GT3 is in the ball park. The EDO car is a RSR wide body with lots of power, a sequential, gutted etc etc etc. Nothing like a factory car.
The EDO car is actually only 550hp and has DP bodywork. It is lightened and has a sequential. Actually, a very good, but superior match to the ACR.

What would be interesting is seeing the TechArt GT Street RS against the ACR.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:52 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kaizu
There are a lot of these superpowerful AND fast cars today.
If a modern sports car has a lot power of course it is fast on the Ring....Vipers, Vettes and GT-R's are of course crazy fast there.

But perhaps it's not always appropriate to compare test driver times and Horst von Saurma's Sport Auto times (the journalist times published in every Ring time post)

The differences in reality are always different: they are smaller.

Still I believe the fastest cars lapping the Ring on private track days and public TF will continue being Porsches in the future. For example where have been all the fast Z06's since their introduction a couple of years ago?

(Just last week I overtaked that ACR Viper on the very Nordschleife, of course it was not driven to its limits but I still passed him.. )

I've noticed that as well, there are hardly any fast Z06's at lapping days, in fact the C5Z's are usually faster. Most of the Z06's guys are old and want to let the car stretch it's legs.

Where as the same age guys in GT3's are driving their buts off for the most part (there are ALWAYS exceptions). Porsches do seem to really attrct driving enthusiasts.

Viper drivers have a BAD BAD rep where I am.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hamann7
The EDO car is actually only 550hp and has DP bodywork. It is lightened and has a sequential. Actually, a very good, but superior match to the ACR.

What would be interesting is seeing the TechArt GT Street RS against the ACR.
This pic makes me drool, but not comparable to a production line car.
http://www.exoticcarsite.com/image.p...1-gt2-rs-1.jpg

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...g-ar12865.html

Look at the video, the car is completely gutted, nothing resembling a street car. The mods alone cost as much as an ACR. Not in the same league in terms of developement, EDO took and already potent 996 GT2, reduced weight to about 2500 lbs, widened the track, added sequential and on and on.

Not a fair comparison, but if the ACR was tuned for the Ring (gearing, etc), it would be right there in the mix in the 7:15 range without a doubt.

And if it had a sequential, game over. The GT street will get raped.

Last edited by heavychevy; 08-29-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by tortesq1
Man, that ACR looked and sounded like a POS. It may be the fastest around the Ring, but I'd rather be a little slower and have some minimal creature comforts, including my car not feeling like its going to fall apart at the rev limiter. After 5 years and 50K miles do you think the Viper ACR is still cruising the Ring or its a parts car ? Anyway, if I really wanted to have the fastest sled on a track I'd buy a purpose built track beast like a Radical. Just my 2 cents (from an unabashed TT owner who likes to be swathed in leather and carbon).

Other than plastic interior, Vipers are built like tanks, which is why they weigh so much for a 2 seater sports car (3475) and only a few less lbs for the ACR. The drivetrain is bullet proof and the motors can handle ~800 whp stock.

It's a purpose built track car, and you can keep your leather and comforts, but I prefer to try not to get lapped. Radicals are cool, but try driving one with full size cars who's bumpers are at your head. One guy was killed last year by being t-boned in a radical by a fullbody car.

I'll pass on that. GT racing is where it's at, and the Viper is the closest you'll get to it without joining a race team (well other than the Cup Car).

Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 AM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
That car didnt look very ergonomically sound,looks very awkward to change gear,but boy still very fast!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 AM
ztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to behold
Anyone know what a cup car would run on the ring? Like the speedgt spec?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
I wish that they were really going to do that. I highly doubt that any future changes to the GT2 (The car that SHOULD be the car to go after all of these records)will be enough to garner huge (read 10 second) improvements at the ring. I love Porsches as much (or more) as the next guy, I just don't see it being a realistic goal.
I agree with LUISGT3 on this one. I doubt Porsche will answer. I hope they do, but…well see. If you read a lot of automotive news it is difficult to comprehend what the automotive landscape of the future will look like: one moment you’re reading about more & more cars breaking ‘Ring records, the next minute you’re reading about major sports car/supercar cancellations. Rumor of another major cancellation yesterday…

It may take a serious revision to the 911 platform to beat these times.

So the CGT, Enzo & Zonda replacements will do what, under 7:00 minutes?

Now that my friends, would be awesome.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Anyone know what a cup car would run on the ring? Like the speedgt spec?

On R888's like what they race on, close to 7:10 or less.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
blackbeast99 is infamous around these parts
Holy cow batman. Other than raising the rev limiter a little, that thing seems to be pretty solid around the track...or at least more than I thought it would be.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:12 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
I real hot to get a Viper a few years back ... my wife was very opposed to the idea but I eventually got her to be OK w/ the idea. I convinced the dealer to let me take a test drive (pulling up to a Dodge dealer in a TT does wonders) and I knew the car wasn't for me before we even got 100 yards but I put a few miles on it anyway. No doubt the cars get the job done but they're real blunt instruments ... like killin' a roach with a sledge hammer. I was VERY happy to get back in my Porsche afterwards and any thought of getting a Viper was permanently purged from my head.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:41 AM
rja - I had the exact same experience driving a 05 vert a few years back a few months before I got my vette. Hated the ride, it swayed all over the place, even compared to my M5. I'm hoping the suspension changes on the 08 have resolved that because it was very blunt and boring for me at the time.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:10 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Nice car but who cares? Overall performance package still goes to Porsche IMO. Everyone likes different teams and Porsche is my team.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Walter (Rohrl) may need to up his insurance policy.