Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Walter (Rohrl) may need to up his insurance policy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
First of all I dont think the GT2 is the best there is. I think its different but overpriced compared to a GT3 or RS. This is going to be a very different time for Porsche. The economy is different than when you could drive a 360 for free. There are some 430s at MSRP which didnt happen in the entire run of 360s. GT2s were 100k over MSRP now they are at MSRP or lower. It will be interesting to see if Porsche can continue to ignore its hardcore customer through this economy. The Viper will never be a replacement for Porsche GT cars. They are as someone said like killing roaches with a sledgehammer. I have driven one and it was bulky and not comfortable. The Porsche GT cars are as comfortable going to the track as they were ON the track.
There will be some very different paths taken by different manufacturers and it should be interesting to watch. I was forced to sell my GT3 because of my back and got a 457 hp 440 ft lbs of torque AMG for in the 65K range and it will be a nice vehicle to wait out what happens with.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:00 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
OG, if you know of any new GT2s at under MSRP, please pass the info. I would be very interested and I have several friends who would jump at the opportunity.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however I think the GT2 is quite a bit better than a GT3. Have you driven the 997 GT2? You might actually like it if you did.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:56 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Hamann 7-

I know of 3 GT2s for sale at MSRP. It may be a west coast versus an east coast phenomenon.

-Gerry

Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 AM
Porsche Fiend
I believe OG said UNDER MSRP. Do you believe these cars will sell for under sticker?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Anyone know what a cup car would run on the ring? Like the speedgt spec?
996 Cup's Lap on Slicks was 7.49 min in 1999. surely they improved a lot over time and the laps on the ring depend very much on the driver an the confidence in the car, but the nordschleife is a very fast lap with lot of uphill where you need sheer power also.

(Edo's GT2-R was build on a cup car, is extremely light and has for sure a bit more than 540HP but NO squential gearbox.)

Last edited by RS38; 09-06-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rja
It never ceases to amaze me how well the automobile marketeers have the general public eating right out of the palm of their hands. Everybody's all caught-up worrying about n-ring times ... a completely irrelevant number for a street car.
I couldn't disagree more. Ring times say ALOT about a sports-cars overall performance. Domestic manufacturers are responding to the garbage that has been flung there way for several years about being horrible handling cars. You'd have to be quite ignorant to think these times are irrelevant especially for a site like 6speed. We are a performance oriented group and for me ring times are important. However It isn't the end all be all of gauging any cars interest, so you really need notattempt to disqualify this variable. For someone who is intelligent it comes across as insecurity. Any TRUE enthusiast can respect the time. Besides isn't the new 9ff a monster around the ring?

Last edited by Nthusiastt; 09-08-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nthusiastt
I couldn't disagree more. Ring times say ALOT about a sports-cars overall performance. Domestic manufacturers are responding to the garbage that has been flung there way for several years about being horrible handling cars. You'd have to be quite ignorant to think these times are irrelevant especially for a site like 6speed. We are a performance oriented group and for me ring times are important. However It isn't the end all be all of gauging any cars interest, so you really need notattempt to disqualify this variable. For someone who is intelligent it comes across as insecurity. Any TRUE enthusiast can respect the time. Besides isn't the new 9ff a monster around the ring?
What does 1,2 or 3 seconds over 13 miles tell you? Not much. Not only that the varying degrees of intensity when it comes to testing is far too off base to make a decent comparison. And list the number of cars with factory efforts what's that like 5.

Fact is the ring thing is being blown out of proportion. And before it was some test laps here and there, etc. But when one manufacturer spends one year trying to set a fast lap using several different drivers, while others test in traffic, and others only have two weeks and give the driver 1 hour, and one gives the car one day with the driver being first time in the car.

Now what does the relative lap time tell you over 13 miles???? Not much.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You cant say definitively that a Cup Car is faster, especially not a factory one. Remember the ACR is running MPSC that many of us drive at DE's. Cup Cars are almost all running the fastest and best slick this side of pro racing. Put an ACR on a similar tire and I'd best you the ACR could win on certain layouts.

The guy missed two shifts, which cost him nearly a second each, he only had 4 runs (laps) and had never been in the car before. I would bet you if they spent the time that most others spend, which is a few weeks to a month or so, he would be at or near 7:15.

The ACR is miles ahead in terms of shear ability than the GT2. On the same tires.
that is THE most unbiased post i've seen from you. nicely done

Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
HeavyChevy has made the good point. Ring times have always been important to Porsche, but Porsche realizes ring times are not the end all of what a car is. Porsche has used the ring for years to sort out their cars and make sure they are well balanced. And, they have bragged a little about those lap times they ran, but never made a big issue about comparing their times with those of other makes. However, things have changed quite a bit. With recent activity at the ring by certain manufacturers (perhaps just one really), the ring time has become the major measure of a car when it really isn't. When you do research to compare the effect of two drug treatments on a disease, the drugs must be compared under highly standardized conditions, taking great care to insure that all conditions remain the same save for the two drugs, so that you can be sure that any effects are due to the drugs and any differences between the two drugs. Otherwise, no real comparisons between the drugs can be made. When a car runs the ring by itself, you can not really make a clean comparison between it's time and that of another car's time. All you can really say is that the car ran a good time given the conditions present at the time it ran. Certainly, a race, with rules to make sure things stay fair, is a far better way to compare two cars (such as the 24 hours of Nurburgring).

Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
The whole 'Ring Thing for 1 lap is ridiculous. The P cars excel at 24 hours at the 'Ring Thing. A lot of those other cars would be broken down after a few laps. We want fast cars that LAST, not fast cars that break.

tw

Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ihatepotholes
that is THE most unbiased post i've seen from you. nicely done

The only time you perceive bias is in the GT-R threads. I have no bias against the GT-R, I think Nissan bought many of the results, and the variety in which they are coming is proof in the puddding.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
HeavyChevy has made the good point. Ring times have always been important to Porsche, but Porsche realizes ring times are not the end all of what a car is. Porsche has used the ring for years to sort out their cars and make sure they are well balanced. And, they have bragged a little about those lap times they ran, but never made a big issue about comparing their times with those of other makes. However, things have changed quite a bit. With recent activity at the ring by certain manufacturers (perhaps just one really), the ring time has become the major measure of a car when it really isn't. When you do research to compare the effect of two drug treatments on a disease, the drugs must be compared under highly standardized conditions, taking great care to insure that all conditions remain the same save for the two drugs, so that you can be sure that any effects are due to the drugs and any differences between the two drugs. Otherwise, no real comparisons between the drugs can be made. When a car runs the ring by itself, you can not really make a clean comparison between it's time and that of another car's time. All you can really say is that the car ran a good time given the conditions present at the time it ran. Certainly, a race, with rules to make sure things stay fair, is a far better way to compare two cars (such as the 24 hours of Nurburgring).
Well Porsche tests amongst other manufacturers, so there are other people there to call their bluff if they arent running stock, or a mile from their times.

All the track rentals with in car video dont really prove anything. The fact is in racing, if it's not in the rules, you cant break them. So there is no telling what some of these guys may be sneaking past us.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Hamann I know of GT2s at MSRP and I wasnt looking. So I am guessing if I can find a GT2 at MSRP without looking, someone with your talents would be able to easily negotiate a GT2 at under MSRP, even if its just a little bit. I have a feeling that by Christmas you will be able to find a GT2 easily at under MSRP. Just my opinion exactly like the weathermans!

( the GT2s I knew about at MSRP both sold so I no longer have current info)

Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Porsche Fiend
OG, after you come down and drive my car I might have to restrain you from running to the dealer and picking up one yourself!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:58 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Nthusiastt
Besides isn't the new 9ff a monster around the ring?
no, if you mean the GT9.
There is a "slow" version the newly Gturbo (turbo upgraded GT3(RS)) that performs well on the Ring, but most of the >750 HP do not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Walter (Rohrl) may need to up his insurance policy.