Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT2 in the rain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
jpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nice
GT2 in the rain?

Hey guys, do any you with GT2's or GT3's for that matter drive these cars in the rain. The reason I ask is wouldn't normally drive mine in the rain, but I just can get enough of this car, I want to drive it all the time... its like a drug.
Are the cup tires up for the task? or should I not even think about it on questionable weather days?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 PM
SirBells is infamous around these parts
my original MSPC's came with a letter saying that they would hydroplane due to there design and tread pattern. check your book.. by the way sweet ride and don't drive it in the rain!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
While mine is awd, I have the same cup tires on mine now (had the corsas before). The corsas are fine in the rain, while the cups are just ok. They are significantly better than 'real cups', as they are slightly harder and have a slightly different tread pattern (with an extra groove). Whenever I had to drive my old car to/from the track in the rain it was emergency flashers/slow lane/white knuckle time, these are completely different. Drive it and enjoy it, just slow down and be a little cautious in heavy rain. When it comes time for new rubber, consider the corsas, as they are similar and will last longer.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
I believe your car comes with the same tires that the GT3 cars do (Michelin Sport Cup). If its the case, then I strongly suggest you be extremely careful when driving in the rain. A friend of mine had (emphasis on had...) a 997 GT3 and while driving on the highway (60mph or so) managed to hydroplane in what seemed to be just a wet road. Car went into the ditch and managed to take the whole roof a couple of inches to the right. Another friend was following in a F430, went through the same spot at the same time and nothing happened. Not to scare you, but to tell you a real life story. Heck, I run Falken Azenis RT-615 on my car (regular 996 C2) and even those suckers can get greasy when wet.

Last edited by GOB; 09-01-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I have gotten caught up in the rain several times with my toyo r888 r comp's, never had one issue although I was scared, after a while of trying to break it loose or for it to slip, I realize how stable and planted it was. I didn't go through standing water or big puddles though, MPSC's wont be as forgiving as my tires in the wet though.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
After seeing them in person this weekend, I wouldn't drive them in the rain if I didn't have to.... Although I bet they stick like glue in the dry.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 PM
RasrGirl is infamous around these parts
I only have driven mine in the rain - for about one brief minute. There is NOOOO freaking way I would do this. Not with 80 treadware rating. It's not me that I don't trust, it's the other california drivers in the rain. =)

Old 09-01-2008, 10:22 PM
RasrGirl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I have gotten caught up in the rain several times with my toyo r888 r comp's, never had one issue although I was scared, after a while of trying to break it loose or for it to slip, I realize how stable and planted it was. I didn't go through standing water or big puddles though, MPSC's wont be as forgiving as my tires in the wet though.
KEEP YOUR CAR OUT OF THE RAIN DAMMIT lol! =))

Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
stay out of any situation with lots of STANDING WATER, on cups.

my friend has a new GT2, and slithered off the highway while travelling around 60-70mph in a straight line.

lots of standing water can't be sufficiently evacuated by the MPSC's modest grooves.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM
jpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nice
Thanks for the input guys...I think I will stay out of the rain!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:00 AM
sws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of light
Hmmm. 500 HP and R-compound tires. Think about it.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RasrGirl
KEEP YOUR CAR OUT OF THE RAIN DAMMIT lol! =))
LOL I know... I will never wake up one day and be like, oh it's pouring let me take the car out. It's obviously no fun to drive in weather such as that, and why I do not. Was just saying in general though, the car is more then capable of handling the weather since I have gotten caught in the rain at the track and on the street/highway