Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Track tires, MPSC and R888

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CarNerd
The general consensus is that MPSC's are slightly faster than both Toyo R-comps but they wear faster.
Yeah the Cups are indeed faster than the R888's. That is mentioned quite rarely on web forums.

Both are good tires.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:50 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Kaizu,

what do you run?
I have tried Hoosiers, Cups, and regular 19" PS2's (which are not terrible but the
sidewalls seem so flimsy).

MK

Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
At the moment the car is back on Cups after several sets of less expensive R888's.

Have tried on track:

Street oriented:

-CS2
-Nero
-PS2

Track oriented:

-Corsa
-R888
-MPSC

Old 08-31-2008, 05:45 PM
smadja is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Dont mix the tires, not really a good idea on the track. If the tires are wearing that unevenly, you might want to check your alignment.

The R888s are good, you might want to consider the Hoosier R6(NOT A6).
why not the A6? what is the difference?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:46 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
with all due respect,
if you are driving the car to the track do not run R6. now if your are 10 miles from track sure. if longer than that... your chance of staying alive is better than just load a few bullets in a gun and aim it at your head. if it rains, i can guarantee you will be dead, in the literal sense.

mpsc is very good on track, but if there's rain, it's very scary. and if your mpsc last more than 30+ cycles, you are not pushing hard enough to benefit from hoosiers. hoosier performance falls off EXTRMELY quickly by cycle 6 or so, they aren't any faster than toyo's let alone mpsc.

toyo R888 and RA1 are phenominal tires for track use. i dont bother with hoosiers unless i am racing. hoosiers should last no more than 15HC, after that it's really just like any tires in terms of stick.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:47 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by smadja
why not the A6? what is the difference?
it takes one lap to heat up R6
A6 is ready to go immediately.
but they heat cycle out in say 6-10 HC tops.
same price, must shorter life.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
In that case, if you're considering the R6, also look at the Hankook Z214 and Kumho V710. I've heard both are equally as fast..
hankook do not come in 997 996 sizes

NT01 is very good i heard. i got them coming.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
In that case, if you're considering the R6, also look at the Hankook Z214 and Kumho V710. I've heard both are equally as fast.

LOL, no, 15-20 heat cycles (not track days) before they fall off. That's roughly 3-5 track days depending on how many sessions one gets to run in a given event.

And i wasnt asking if you run them on the stock 19 i was asking if you run the OEM Cups or the genuine Cups. There's a big difference. In hind sight i can see why the Cups you have, regardless of whether they are OEM or geniune are falling off. How many heat cycles were on them when you bought them? I assume you've yet to run a new set yet? You have to keep in mind that with the Cups you can't run them until they cord. Rather you can but after about 20 HC the performance deteroriates a lot. Same with the R888, although the R888 is supposed to last longer so maybe 25-30 HC before they fall off. But once they look like a slick, they're toast. Conversely the RA-1 can be run down to the cord and still perform quite well all the way through.

But i honeslty think it all depends on your driving style. I know a guy here, Mooty, who can run through a set of R888's in 3 days, roughly 15 HC, but he's very fast.
This is some great information guys, thanks! I probably should have asked this long ago...

So, I have decided that slicks aren't going to work for me at the moment, 100 miles from the track just isn't safe on slicks.

The first set of Cups I had were 2 track days old and the current set I got brand new, and they are the NO Porsche ones, not the regular ones, which the regular ones look like they are better, oh well...

So maybe i'll get a set of R888's this time and see how they work.

Here's a few pics of the current MPSC's, I don't know how easy it will be to see how much is actually left on them but do the fronts look worse than the rears? And since these have about 18-20 HC's on them, how many more HC's do you think I have left on these?

Fronts:

Rears:

All 4:

Here's the slightly (non-track) used fronts:

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM
RasrGirl is infamous around these parts
i went from the MPSC (two sets) to the R888s (5 rears and 3 fronts) to keeping the R888s for my practice sessions and putting on Hoosiers on 18inch wheels (R6s) and what a freaking difference!!! I didn't even have to heat cycle them. At 5pm, by turn 5 they were gripping like no other. The R888s are fabulous as well (a new set of 888s and i cut 1.5 secs of my time). I suggest you buy another set of wheels for the track, you can get some good quality inexpensive at CCW with Hoosiers, if someone will take them for you. I go through my R888s rears twice as fast as fronts. They are a great tire both for the road and track. Be sure to get your car perfect-suspension, and corner aligned. THAT makes a difference too.

sleep, eat, race......

Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
RasrGirl is infamous around these parts
One more thing.. i found with the MPSCs, they deteriorate extremely fast once they hit the "sweet spot". Maybe they are different on 18"? Whereas the R888s deterioate slower once they start to go. Mine always wear on the inside edge due to camber changes & driving it on the hwy. What i REALLY WANT is a cup car, trailor and guy to haul it for me.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RasrGirl
i went from the MPSC (two sets) to the R888s (5 rears and 3 fronts) to keeping the R888s for my practice sessions and putting on Hoosiers on 18inch wheels (R6s) and what a freaking difference!!! I didn't even have to heat cycle them. At 5pm, by turn 5 they were gripping like no other. The R888s are fabulous as well (a new set of 888s and i cut 1.5 secs of my time). I suggest you buy another set of wheels for the track, you can get some good quality inexpensive at CCW with Hoosiers, if someone will take them for you. I go through my R888s rears twice as fast as fronts. They are a great tire both for the road and track. Be sure to get your car perfect-suspension, and corner aligned. THAT makes a difference too.

sleep, eat, race......

I use the stock 19" wheels for the track and I have another set of street wheels that I use when I drive it on the street...

I can't depend on someone to take them to the track for me, so I can't really get R6's...

Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mooty
hankook do not come in 997 996 sizes
O ya, just kidding.

Originally Posted by mooty
NT01 is very good i heard. i got them coming.
Sweet, cant wait to hear your feedback. Man its nice having someone test all the different tires for you. When are you going to get a set of Cup?!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I have to respectfully disagree with kaizu, MPSC's have been eclipsed recently with the tires out there, at least in my experience, I hated the cups!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
This is some great information guys, thanks! I probably should have asked this long ago...

So, I have decided that slicks aren't going to work for me at the moment, 100 miles from the track just isn't safe on slicks.
Smart choice

The first set of Cups I had were 2 track days old and the current set I got brand new, and they are the NO Porsche ones, not the regular ones, which the regular ones look like they are better, oh well...
Sorry NO Porsche ones? So are you running the OEM Cups? Again, there's a significant difference between the two.

So maybe i'll get a set of R888's this time and see how they work.
R888's are a good choice. Remember alignment is very key. Have somone who knows suspension and tires extremely well set it up accordingly.

Here's a few pics of the current MPSC's, I don't know how easy it will be to see how much is actually left on them but do the fronts look worse than the rears? And since these have about 18-20 HC's on them, how many more HC's do you think I have left on these?
It all depends on your driving style. Like Mooty said, if you're getting more than 30 HC on the Cups you're not driving them to their full potential. Although this may differ if you're still on the OEM Cups? I dont know anyone who still tracks the OE Cups, they are that bad. Regardless, you cant always determine life by tread left, not on the track at least. That's why many people shave the RA1's and R888's. Its because they know they can only get X amount of HC out of the tire before its performance drops off significantly so they try and get as much grip as possible through those X amount of heat cycles.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I have to respectfully disagree with kaizu, MPSC's have been eclipsed recently with the tires out there, at least in my experience, I hated the cups!
I dont know Martin. I know of a guy who can run equally fast times with Hoo-Hoos and Cups. He's just more consistent with the Hoo-Hoo's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track tires, MPSC and R888