Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Track tires, MPSC and R888

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Sound advice about the Nittos...

I just checked their website
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent01%2Esizes

275 35 18 (too small)
next size listed is
315 30 18 (too big)

I have R888 in 295 for my rears... and I am not sure a 315 will fit or that I even want it to...

Although I can say that the people that I know that have the Nittos really like them...

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I also heard the NT01 was a sick tire, only thing is I need 335's like the R888's which they don't come in :/

Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
run 245 and 315 (12" rear wheels, else wont work)

i run 255/315 R888 or 245/315 R6 on 996GT3, i do have 12" rear (CCW C10)

Originally Posted by PJS
Sound advice about the Nittos...

I just checked their website
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent01%2Esizes

275 35 18 (too small)
next size listed is
315 30 18 (too big)

I have R888 in 295 for my rears... and I am not sure a 315 will fit or that I even want it to...

Although I can say that the people that I know that have the Nittos really like them...

Old 09-05-2008, 09:18 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mooty
run 245 and 315 (12" rear wheels, else wont work)

i run 255/315 R888 or 245/315 R6 on 996GT3, i do have 12" rear (CCW C10)
do you see improved lap times with wider tires?
fenders rolled I presume?

I recently had this "debate" with a cup car driver/one of my instructors... he recommended that I stay on stock sizes...

Of course I have read numerous threads looking to learn from more experienced drivers (NJGT, Mooty, dell, et al) but I am still not clear about the advantages to running wider tires.

Of course the wider front would dial out factory understeer settings, but I feel that has been done with susp, alignment, and CB set up that I have with stock size tires.

Was wondering if you could parlay your experience with wider tires vs. stock sizes...

Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
the only time i ran anything smaller than 305 is 295 on mpsc.
i like the wider tires at back to give me grip. it's one of those things that you ask 10 ppl you get 10 responses. try and see how you like them.

no, my fenders are not rolled.

Originally Posted by PJS
do you see improved lap times with wider tires?
fenders rolled I presume?

I recently had this "debate" with a cup car driver/one of my instructors... he recommended that I stay on stock sizes...

Of course I have read numerous threads looking to learn from more experienced drivers (NJGT, Mooty, dell, et al) but I am still not clear about the advantages to running wider tires.

Of course the wider front would dial out factory understeer settings, but I feel that has been done with susp, alignment, and CB set up that I have with stock size tires.

Was wondering if you could parlay your experience with wider tires vs. stock sizes...

Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM
PJS
the only time i ran anything smaller than 305 is 295 on mpsc.
i like the wider tires at back to give me grip. it's one of those things that you ask 10 ppl you get 10 responses. try and see how you like them.

no, my fenders are not rolled.
315 on 12 inch rim with no rolled fenders -- good to know!
I gotcha on the "ask 10 get 10 diff responses"... I have and I have

In ay event, not an option for me unless I get some 12 inch rears...

thanks

Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PJS
315 on 12 inch rim with no rolled fenders -- good to know!
I gotcha on the "ask 10 get 10 diff responses"... I have and I have

In ay event, not an option for me unless I get some 12 inch rears...

thanks
Mooty, dont you also run close to 2.5+ in the rear though? I had about 1.2 neg in my old Turbo and couldnt fit a 305 RA-1 on BBS E88's (GT2 offset) w/o rubbing the plastic inner hose protector

Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Mooty, dont you also run close to 2.5+ in the rear though? I had about 1.2 neg in my old Turbo and couldnt fit a 305 RA-1 on BBS E88's (GT2 offset) w/o rubbing the plastic inner hose protector
Camber does make a big difference but so can offset, CCW's as Mooty are running tend to be a bit more aggressive!

Old 09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Camber does make a big difference but so can offset, CCW's as Mooty are running tend to be a bit more aggressive!
What does it mean for a wheel to be more aggressive?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:14 PM
What does it mean for a wheel to be more aggressive?
OFFSET .

Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
OFFSET .
I know that. What i'm asking is what a more aggressive offset is.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I know that. What i'm asking is what a more aggressive offset is.
Never mind i figured it out.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:24 PM
i have a lot more than 2.5 camber
also, if you have a lot of camber, you need smaller dia springs or else you will rub springs.
a lot of variables.

very few, and i mean VERY VERY FEW ppl truly understand wheel offsets. it's not as easy as we think it is. john at CCW knows the offsets like the back of his hand. if he tells you it will fit, then it will fit. if he's wrong, he will send you the correct wheel no charge immediately. i have never had any other wheel manufacturer match his service. all my were custom made and none took more than 6 days to arrive CA from FL from the day i called him to place order! now if the rest of the car industry can be as efficient, we would have world peace and $.50 gasoline in no time.

btw, did i say i love CCW.
yes, they are cheaper but i would buy them over BBS E88 or fikse even if CCW were $5000/set.;

Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
also, if you have a lot of camber, you need smaller dia springs or else you will rub springs.
a lot of variables.

very few, and i mean VERY VERY FEW ppl truly understand wheel offsets. it's not as easy as we think it is. john at CCW knows the offsets like the back of his hand. if he tells you it will fit, then it will fit. if he's wrong, he will send you the correct wheel no charge immediately. i have never had any other wheel manufacturer match his service. all my were custom made and none took more than 6 days to arrive CA from FL from the day i called him to place order! now if the rest of the car industry can be as efficient, we would have world peace and $.50 gasoline in no time.

yes, they are cheaper but i would buy them over BBS E88 or fikse even if CCW were $5000/set.;
That's what i figured. Do you run over 3 degrees in the rear too?! I'm definitely grabbing a set of CCW's after the "season" ends and i stop doing 4-5 days a month...

Old 09-06-2008, 10:57 PM
a lot of variables.

Mooty couldn't agree more.. From my experience of fitting my E46 M3 back years ago, to my GT2, the wheels are just spot on and perfect with fitment and offset, and really built/meant for the track goer, it shows it!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track tires, MPSC and R888