Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Track tires, MPSC and R888

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
So I went to Streets of Willow Springs with the POC yesterday and the tires (as pictured earlier in this thread) worked pretty well for the first couple sessions, then, since it was well over 100 degrees, the started working like crap but so were everyone elses too, sort of.... I started the day with the pressure I drove up on, which was COLD 30 front and 32 rear and it seemed good. I dropped them down after the first session to HOT 33 front and 36 rear and ran the rest of the day like that. The second session was close to the same as the first but slightly less grip and the last two sessions I felt like I was flying but the tires just didn't stick... So besides the fact that the fronts were pretty worn to start the day anyway, I need to figure out how to get the later sessions closer to the early sessions somehow... Should I have raised the pressures or ? or is it a lose lose with the eextreme heat?

I'm going to take the wheels off shortly and see how they look and decide whether or not I want to replace the fronts with the extra set of used fronts or not before I go to Cal Speedway Roval in a couple weeks or if I should just get a new set altogether.... Which I'm trying to hold off on as I may get some 18" wheels and use the stock 19's for the street driving....

Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
As far as setup goes... I am going to bring the car in to get the alignment done before Cal Speedway, how much do I tell them on the camber so it doesn't rub on the springs and so it's driveable on the street without killing the street tires? And is there anything else I should have them do?

Old 09-07-2008, 03:21 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mooty

very few, and i mean VERY VERY FEW ppl truly understand wheel offsets. it's not as easy as we think it is. john at CCW knows the offsets like the back of his hand. if he tells you it will fit, then it will fit. if he's wrong, he will send you the correct wheel no charge immediately. i have never had any other wheel manufacturer match his service. all my were custom made and none took more than 6 days to arrive CA from FL from the day i called him to place order! now if the rest of the car industry can be as efficient, we would have world peace and $.50 gasoline in no time.

btw, did i say i love CCW.
yes, they are cheaper but i would buy them over BBS E88 or fikse even if CCW were $5000/set.;
Mooty, I agree with you SO MUCH. While I don't have CCWs for my 911 (would love to have a set, but have Avus, HRE, and Volk for that one) I asked John to make me a totally custom set for my '72 Datsun 240Z project car. Everything under the care is custom fab or wild aftermarket parts. Control arms, axles, coilovers, 5 lug hubs, spacers, 6 piston brakes, etc. NONE of the manufacturers were even able to tell us what we needed in wheel sizes, tire sizes, offsets, etc. John took all of the parts that I had on the car, coupled with certain pictures for certain angles that he asked for, and sent me one front wheel and one rear wheel with tires on them to test fit. It took me a while to get the car ready to even test fit them and he would call every so often and ask if we knew if they would fit. Eventually, I found out (I'm talking months later) that they did fit. But if they didn't, he was going to take the wheels back and build more and keep it up until they fit. Amazing. AND, the fit perfectly. That special moment when the tire is just at the lip... This dude's good. He could pull a lot more money from me for his wheels. So you see, these are his 3 piece wheels, called the Classic. I think they're going to look dope on the ol' Datsun.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Yesterday I used Michelin Porsche Cup 18" slicks and they are GREAT !!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM
jellybone is infamous around these parts
Just came back from the shop to see my car, 2 sessions on MPSC's and my rears are down to the cord on the drivers side and pretty cooked on the other.
Crap I bought these new and hoped they'd last longer than that (OEM tires).

Good read this thread though, being a relative newbie it's good to learn what to expect, thanks to all the guys on there who seem to know what they are talking about...

Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Jellybone,

I'm sorry, but I don't remember. Are you running a limited slip? If so, this varying amount of wear on the rear is odd.

Jared

Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jellybone
Just came back from the shop to see my car, 2 sessions on MPSC's and my rears are down to the cord on the drivers side and pretty cooked on the other.
Crap I bought these new and hoped they'd last longer than that (OEM tires).

Good read this thread though, being a relative newbie it's good to learn what to expect, thanks to all the guys on there who seem to know what they are talking about...
wow wtf?!?!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 AM
KandyRedCoi is infamous around these parts
dont mix tires, last time i did, my car was freakin undriveable...now that i have r888, im going big!!!

R888 FTW...if they have your sizes!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by blakt out
Jellybone,

I'm sorry, but I don't remember. Are you running a limited slip? If so, this varying amount of wear on the rear is odd.

Jared
No not running a limited slip (yet anyway). I think it has to do a lot with the camber, if you look at the car from behind you can see that the tires noticeable tilt inwards and probably when the car straightens up and I'm on the power I'm getting a lot of wear at those times, doesn't help that I was oversteering a bit at Seattle. Plus Seattle is supposedly hard on tires and in particular the rear left and front right (I'm told)...

Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by KandyRedCoi
dont mix tires, last time i did, my car was freakin undriveable...now that i have r888, im going big!!!

R888 FTW...if they have your sizes!!!
I really like the MPSC's though, very "communicative" to me, I really feel like I can tell what they're doing, it's almost like they talk to me..

This winter I'm going to make a change and run PS2's on the street, then for next season maybe run slicks for track days (Dunlops). Logistics may be a problem though. On thing I liked about my 08 Sti was you could take it to the track and have a second set of race rubber in the back, can't do that with a 911.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 AM
KandyRedCoi is infamous around these parts
^time for a trailer? hehe

Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 AM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty

very few, and i mean VERY VERY FEW ppl truly understand wheel offsets. it's not as easy as we think it is. john at CCW knows the offsets like the back of his hand. if he tells you it will fit, then it will fit. if he's wrong, he will send you the correct wheel no charge immediately. i have never had any other wheel manufacturer match his service. all my were custom made and none took more than 6 days to arrive CA from FL from the day i called him to place order! now if the rest of the car industry can be as efficient, we would have world peace and $.50 gasoline in no time.

btw, did i say i love CCW.
yes, they are cheaper but i would buy them over BBS E88 or fikse even if CCW were $5000/set.;

Mooty, I agree with you SO MUCH. While I don't have CCWs for my 911 (would love to have a set, but have Avus, HRE, and Volk for that one) I asked John to make me a totally custom set for my '72 Datsun 240Z project car. Everything under the care is custom fab or wild aftermarket parts. Control arms, axles, coilovers, 5 lug hubs, spacers, 6 piston brakes, etc. NONE of the manufacturers were even able to tell us what we needed in wheel sizes, tire sizes, offsets, etc. John took all of the parts that I had on the car, coupled with certain pictures for certain angles that he asked for, and sent me one front wheel and one rear wheel with tires on them to test fit. It took me a while to get the car ready to even test fit them and he would call every so often and ask if we knew if they would fit. Eventually, I found out (I'm talking months later) that they did fit. But if they didn't, he was going to take the wheels back and build more and keep it up until they fit. Amazing. AND, the fit perfectly. That special moment when the tire is just at the lip... This dude's good. He could pull a lot more money from me for his wheels. So you see, these are his 3 piece wheels, called the Classic. I think they're going to look dope on the ol' Datsun
I do not own CCW wheels myself as I got my car with an extra set of wheels, I do not know John but I have heard very impressive comments about him at the track. He stands by his product! If I needed wheels that is the only place I would get them.