Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Track tires, MPSC and R888

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:23 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Track tires, MPSC and R888

I have a 997S and have been running MPSC's on it for the track, I'm on my second set, I got about 8 or 9 track days on the first set, now, the set I have has 4 track days on them and the fronts look like they have maybe 1 more track day on them and they are toast, the rears look slightly better but not much. I bought a set of slightly (street) used fronts, probably 60-70% left on them, and was either thinking of putting on the fronts after the next track day and leaving the rears for 1 or 2 more track days or, getting a new set or rears and using the slightly used fronts that I have.... Is that going to be weird? Will I my back end be sliding around if I have newer fronts, and on the other had, will the front be sliding around if I have brand new rears?

It seems that when it's as hot as it's been in So Cal that the R Comp tires are crap after the first session and the rest of the day my lap times get slower and slower the hotter it gets... I was almost thinking of getting a used set of PS2's for the next couple track days and seeing how that goes, they may do better in the really hot weather? but I have a feeling I may regret that?

I was also considering getting a set of R888's since they are less money than the MPSC's and I hear good things about them... That will just leave me with an extra set of front MPSC's but it could be worse... OR, how bad would it be to put a new set of R888 on the rear and use the 70% tread left MPSC fronts?

Any thoughts on this?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:37 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
Dont mix the tires, not really a good idea on the track. If the tires are wearing that unevenly, you might want to check your alignment.

The R888s are good, you might want to consider the Hoosier R6(NOT A6).

Old 08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Dont mix the tires, not really a good idea on the track. If the tires are wearing that unevenly, you might want to check your alignment.

The R888s are good, you might want to consider the Hoosier R6(NOT A6).
I was checking out the Hoosier and wondering how they would be, but there's a couple factors for me... 1. I drive to the track, and I know some people drive to the track on slicks but I live 100+ miles away from most of the tracks I go to, so is that safe? and 2. what kind of wear do the Hoosiers take... I can't afford to get a new set of tires every 5 times at the track and by the looks of it, my MPSC's aren't going to last much longer than that, I guess using them in the extreme hot weather takes a toll on them...

Old 08-30-2008, 02:55 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Hoosiers are cheaper then MPSC, and may wear quicker, but in the end it is about the experience on track that I justify the costs with.

I have had 048's, and on to MPSC. I find the wear to be even across the tires as well as F to R. I would agree that perhaps your allignment is needing some changes.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, you can drive 100 miles on slicks. I wouldnt really recommend it though. If youre doing that sort of driving to and from the track, along with using them on the track, the R888 or Cups are probably a better choice. The Hoosiers will probably last longer than the others with proper heat cycling. The extreme heat probably is the cause of serious wear on the others. Theyre not meant for it like the Hoosiers are.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah, you can drive 100 miles on slicks. I wouldnt really recommend it though. If youre doing that sort of driving to and from the track, along with using them on the track, the R888 or Cups are probably a better choice. The Hoosiers will probably last longer than the others with proper heat cycling. The extreme heat probably is the cause of serious wear on the others. Theyre not meant for it like the Hoosiers are.
Now i'm more confused...LOL

I agree on the heat causing the exesive wear...

I am probably not going to get MPSC's next time, just because they are more expensive, and, I want to try something else... But I don't know if it's smarter to get the R888's or R6's.... I know that in the MPSC's when it rained coming home from the track, they didn't work so well and slicks, I would probably have to pull off the freeway, wound't I? I mean, how much better are the slicks going to be over the R888's and what is the wear difference?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:32 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
I have a 997S and have been running MPSC's on it for the track, I'm on my second set, I got about 8 or 9 track days on the first set, now, the set I have has 4 track days on them and the fronts look like they have maybe 1 more track day on them and they are toast, the rears look slightly better but not much. I bought a set of slightly (street) used fronts, probably 60-70% left on them, and was either thinking of putting on the fronts after the next track day and leaving the rears for 1 or 2 more track days or, getting a new set or rears and using the slightly used fronts that I have.... Is that going to be weird? Will I my back end be sliding around if I have newer fronts, and on the other had, will the front be sliding around if I have brand new rears?
No, as long as you drive a hundred miles or so to de-grease the newer tires you'll be fine.

It seems that when it's as hot as it's been in So Cal that the R Comp tires are crap after the first session and the rest of the day my lap times get slower and slower the hotter it gets... I was almost thinking of getting a used set of PS2's for the next couple track days and seeing how that goes, they may do better in the really hot weather? but I have a feeling I may regret that?
Are you monitoring your tires pressures? What hop temps are you running?

I was also considering getting a set of R888's since they are less money than the MPSC's and I hear good things about them... That will just leave me with an extra set of front MPSC's but it could be worse... OR, how bad would it be to put a new set of R888 on the rear and use the 70% tread left MPSC fronts?

Any thoughts on this?
Dont mix and match tires. The general consensus is that MPSC's are slightly faster than both Toyo R-comps but they wear faster.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by CarNerd
No, as long as you drive a hundred miles or so to de-grease the newer tires you'll be fine.

Are you monitoring your tires pressures? What hop temps are you running?

Dont mix and match tires. The general consensus is that MPSC's are slightly faster than both Toyo R-comps but they wear faster.
I watch my tire pressure... I usually drop the pressure a little after the first session and a little after that... I run low pressure usually, hot about 28-30 front and 30-32 rear.. Is that too low?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:19 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
I watch my tire pressure... I usually drop the pressure a little after the first session and a little after that... I run low pressure usually, hot about 28-30 front and 30-32 rear.. Is that too low?
Ya, try 32-33 F and 34-35 R HOT. And get them as hot as you can as quickly as you can.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
CarNerd is right on the pressures, up them a bit. The Hoosiers are pretty bad in the rain, thats for sure. As far as driving them on the track, I dont recommend them because if you get a flat, its going to be worse the the Michelins or the Toyos, you could really lose control. That and the fact if it rains, you will need to pull over and wait.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM
CarNerd is right on the pressures, up them a bit. The Hoosiers are pretty bad in the rain, thats for sure. As far as driving them on the track, I dont recommend them because if you get a flat, its going to be worse the the Michelins or the Toyos, you could really lose control. That and the fact if it rains, you will need to pull over and wait.
For most the R6's are a step up from any Toyo or the Sport Cups. But you have to find a way to get them to the track. With that, i know of one guy running sub twos at Thunderhill who runs the same times with both the Cups and R6's just more consistently with the R6's. This was in a bone stock 996 GT3 with only safety gear. I also know of another who ran sub twos in a stock 996 GT3 on Sport Cups. They are an extremely fast tire, but also an extremely sensitive and fast wearing tire. Also you can absolutely not drive the R6's in the rain and its extremely risky to do it with the Cups. I assume b/c your in California the ambient temp at the tracks you run is fairly high. Just keep in mind the Cups really like heat.

IMO if you have a way to get the R6's to the track they are definitely worth shot. Try a little higher pressures on the Cups and report back. They definitely shouldnt be falling off mid day. What are the ambient temps when they start to fall off? Are you taking pressures as soon as you get off track after each session?

Last edited by CarNerd; 08-31-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 AM
O i just noticed you're getting 8-9 days. That means you're getting 40+ HC out of Cups?! That's pretty insane considering their wear. Most get 15-20 at most. You're not using the OEM 19 in Cups are you?

Last edited by CarNerd; 08-31-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 AM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
Just to further stir the pot you should look at NT-01s. very similar to RA1s. long lasting, very streetable, and do not heat cycle.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by CarNerd
O i just noticed you're getting 8-9 days. That means you're getting 40+ HC out of Cups?! That's pretty insane considering their wear. Most get 15-20 at most. You're not using the OEM 19 in Cups are you?
The first set of Cups I bought from a guy that did 2 track days on and I get 6 or 7 track days I think, some summer, some winter. The new set have one winter and 3 100+ degree summer track days on them... You are saying that people get 15-20 track days on Cups? That's crazy... I mean, I probably have a few more days on the ones I have but it will be cutting it close if I blow a tire at the track or to or from the track... And yes, I have them on the stock 19" wheels....

Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by 'ringmeister
Just to further stir the pot you should look at NT-01s. very similar to RA1s. long lasting, very streetable, and do not heat cycle.
In that case, if you're considering the R6, also look at the Hankook Z214 and Kumho V710. I've heard both are equally as fast.

The first set of Cups I bought from a guy that did 2 track days on and I get 6 or 7 track days I think, some summer, some winter. The new set have one winter and 3 100+ degree summer track days on them... You are saying that people get 15-20 track days on Cups? That's crazy... I mean, I probably have a few more days on the ones I have but it will be cutting it close if I blow a tire at the track or to or from the track... And yes, I have them on the stock 19" wheels....
LOL, no, 15-20 heat cycles (not track days) before they fall off. That's roughly 3-5 track days depending on how many sessions one gets to run in a given event.

And i wasnt asking if you run them on the stock 19 i was asking if you run the OEM Cups or the genuine Cups. There's a big difference. In hind sight i can see why the Cups you have, regardless of whether they are OEM or geniune are falling off. How many heat cycles were on them when you bought them? I assume you've yet to run a new set yet? You have to keep in mind that with the Cups you can't run them until they cord. Rather you can but after about 20 HC the performance deteroriates a lot. Same with the R888, although the R888 is supposed to last longer so maybe 25-30 HC before they fall off. But once they look like a slick, they're toast. Conversely the RA-1 can be run down to the cord and still perform quite well all the way through.

But i honeslty think it all depends on your driving style. I know a guy here, Mooty, who can run through a set of R888's in 3 days, roughly 15 HC, but he's very fast.

Last edited by CarNerd; 08-31-2008 at 11:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track tires, MPSC and R888