Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Can 996 GT3 Engine Be Modded to 997 GT3 Power Levels ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by george3
The TruSpeed car is too strong ($$$++)

Tell me more about the re-gear, and cost?
The proper way to regear is to pull the tranny and send it to Copans and have it re-geared and then re-installed in the car... this will run $10-12K which is a lot of coin if you are looking to go "down" from a 997 to a 996-3...

Instead of the re-gear, I went with the 4.0 Porsche Motorsports ring and pinion -- sort of the poor mans re-gear. Lowers top speed from 190 something to 175 and shortens all the gears... primarily it allows you stay in the meat of the power band easier...

The ring and pinion swap including parts is $3-4K...

good luck on your search -- steve b in SD (user name) has a 9000 mile silver one with a europipe on it and I think he is still selling it...

Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Triss is infamous around these parts
Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 AM
george3 is infamous around these partsgeorge3 is infamous around these parts
Thank you for the helpful information.

http://www.manthey-motors.de/nextsho...e=html&id=1027

Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 AM
I have been in a properly re-geared 996 GT3. Very impressive. How will the re-geared option compare?

Originally Posted by PJS
The proper way to regear is to pull the tranny and send it to Copans and have it re-geared and then re-installed in the car... this will run $10-12K which is a lot of coin if you are looking to go "down" from a 997 to a 996-3...

Instead of the re-gear, I went with the 4.0 Porsche Motorsports ring and pinion -- sort of the poor mans re-gear. Lowers top speed from 190 something to 175 and shortens all the gears... primarily it allows you stay in the meat of the power band easier...

The ring and pinion swap including parts is $3-4K...

good luck on your search -- steve b in SD (user name) has a 9000 mile silver one with a europipe on it and I think he is still selling it...

Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Also-
After a ring & pinion change, what would the car be tach-ing at a 65 MPH highway speed?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Also-
After a ring & pinion change, what would the car be tach-ing at a 65 MPH highway speed?
definitely higher...thats for sure... probably around 3k-3,300 if I were to take an educated guess...

Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 AM
What are you taching now, Drew?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 AM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
Also-

2,950 rpm at 65 mph (actual speed). The speedometer in all the current Porsche 2 doors cars is off by 3.5%, so you should see 67 mph on the speedometer.

The timer doesn't lie. I have driven both the 997 and 996 GT3, the 997 GT3 feels stronger, but on instrumented testing, their acceleration numbers are about the same.

Looking for a 996 GT3 gives you the advantage of finding modified cars with $$$ upgrades.

I drove a stock 6GT3 on new Hoosier R6 this weekend, my fastest lap was 59.9 at Pocono North. Stock car, stock size wheels, 245/315 R6 and stock weight due to lighter Recaro seats and the extra weight from Cage/Harnesses/bottle, and 1/2 tank of gas. The car has iron rotors with RS19 and SRF. At that same track my 6GT3 on Hoosiers ran 56.7. The fastest 7GT3 this past weekend ran a 60.x (a very experienced driver).

A 3.2 secs difference in a 60 secs course is enormous. My old stock 2001 Boxster S on MPSC ran a 63.3 secs at the same course, with R6 it could break into the high 62s. The difference between a stock 2001 Boxster S and stock 996 GT3 is closer than the difference between a stock 996 GT3 and a modified street-legal 996 GT3.

You can find well setup and properly modified 6GT3 out there. Once you drive them, you won't be looking for more power.

The key mods are:

- Gearing
- Wider wheels/tires
- Full monoballs including front/rear toe links.
- Moton/JRZ/Ohlins 2/3/4-way adjustable
- Tuned by a good shop
- LWFW and custom LSD
- Bigger rear rotors
- 300 lbs removed

Nice to have: Europipe, ECU maps, RS wing

Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Incredibly setup GT3. And, those are great lap times. In my Evo at Pocono, I did 1:03's with a full tank of gas and a student. I'm going back this weekend with RTR. Are you going?

I'm looking to best my Evo's time.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
Incredibly setup GT3. And, those are great lap times. In my Evo at Pocono, I did 1:03's with a full tank of gas and a student. I'm going back this weekend with RTR. Are you going?

I'm looking to best my Evo's time.

I just flew East to spend the weekend with my friends at the track (Porscherama 2008), I'm flying west tomorrow, making a stop in Kansas for the SCCA Solo Nationals, and back home on Saturday, to get ready for AutoX on Sunday with PCA Orange County (new M3 vs. Any Cayman/997 Challenge)

Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
definitely higher...thats for sure... probably around 3k-3,300 if I were to take an educated guess...
I can let you know tomorrow as I will be taking it out ont he highway tonight and I will play around a bit... I can tell you that the r&p switch, in my opinion, was well worth the money.

I have the LWFW as well and the car is fantastic.

All of the Manthey stuff is great as well... search the Excellence archives and there is an article about a guy in Germany that has the Manthey 440 kit and I recall reading that he pulls cup cars on the ring...

Manthey 440 kit is big money though...

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes, the Manthey is big money. What do you think is the best bang for the buck?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
What are you taching now, Drew?
like low 2s...I dont drive under 80 much on the highway and thats around 3k...I guess what I said earlier would be for different gears...but I cant imagine it would be that low. Either way, just go for it. I promise you the fun factor will outweigh the hp factor from other cars. Either way, just get it so we can play!

-Drew

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Ill see what I can do at this event coming up with George, unlike normal, the run groups are going to be QUITE small and I may be able to get a couple clean laps in. I have NO idea how anyone that can run under 60 seconds can even get the chance to go much lower due to traffic in any normal group. Its really annoying. I couldnt best a 58 in my b stock 996tt on hoosiers for the same reason.

George, what you taking to the event?

-Drew

Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Drew,
I'm retiring the GT3, so I'll bring the Evo this weekend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can 996 GT3 Engine Be Modded to 997 GT3 Power Levels ??