Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

PCCB's durability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Why would it be a great information and source if you had already cleared this up
with your original post-saying they should never be on the track. Then forgetting the CUP car ARE using PCCBs

The truth is if your going to track several times a month then yes the PCCB rotor is a wear item. How often you use it determines the amount of wear. If you are like most of us who do 10-12 track days a year then they are fine.
old dirty b, like you i have my head shoved so far up my butt that i only concentrate on what happens in the states. the difference between you and i is you didn't even know that a cup car existed.

"pressing" left some good information about the construction of the PCCBs and why they are junk. Do you need cliff notes for that? A real carbon rotor is leaps and bounds better than the junk that Porsche puts on their cars. Hello good Marketing.

In short, PCCBs should not be used, unless you want to look like a poser and have the yellow calipers match your yellow stitched steering wheel and seat belt.

Your rationale was hey I dont drive my car that much, so they are okay for me is ridiculous. Wait a sec, you don't even have a GT3 or a car that has PCCB.

fin.

Last edited by fortyounce; 09-17-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Look we have poked enough names at each other. Just get the guy some info.
He asked a decent question and it deserved a good answer.
I had 2 GT3's with both the Gen I and Gen II PCCBs. I am more than qualified to answer his question which is more than you could say with your IQ busting first response.
If its just marketing crap then why does Ferrari, Bentley, Audi, Aston Martin
use the same rotor?

And BTW the reason I dont have my GT cars any more and this should make you happy is I have a bad back, and I will be undergoing back surgery on Dec the 3rd. I was just updating my will. I guess I am an old fart. If it goes well and I should recover, I will be back in a Porsche soon after that.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 PM
khoispring is infamous around these parts
hey old guy hope everything will go well for your surgery so you can enjoy your porsche again
man back problems that hurts!
thanks for your info! one last question did you notice those round marks on the surface of the discs and after how many track days? from the moment they come on how long is left to them before noticing really a problem in the brake performance or feel?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I submitted my Gen I PCCBs when they started craking about 6 track days in about 5 months. I thought it maybe a warranty issue. I didnt mention the track days. But Porsche came back with a Porsche tech bulletin that noted cracking was a normal wear and aging issue on the Gen Is. The bullentin showed normal wear under a variety of conditions.
I wish I still had it to show you. It may be still on my laptop. I have a friend who had a 996 GT3 and tracked it almost every weekend. 4Curves is his handle here. But he just change his pads and never had any issues other than normal wear that was less than iron brakes. He is a POC officer now and he tracks a 996 CUP car. His 996 GT3 went to his wife. She still tracks it.
The worst thing that could happen is you use them, they wear then you go to iron rotors. I know dealers now have package deals for owners wishing to replace their Ceramics with Ceramics. Instead of 6-8K per rotor its about 6-8k per set of new Ceramic rotors.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:03 AM
sws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of light
I know dealers now have package deals for owners wishing to replace their Ceramics with Ceramics. Instead of 6-8K per rotor its about 6-8k per set of new Ceramic rotors.
I'd like to know about those dealers, just in case.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I read about it on the Rennlist GT3 forum. You would have to do a search or pose the question.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
I read about it on the Rennlist GT3 forum. You would have to do a search or pose the question.
That was a one time deal. Don't expect that to happen anymore.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Look we have poked enough names at each other.
You started it. nanannanna- poo poo

Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
flyingphish is infamous around these parts
ok to sum it up:

so basically, buy the alcons and the porterfiled r64 pads? some motul fluid and im good? i only track half a dozen times a year. im probably ok keeping the pccb's on as per what im reading here....its just that id rather not pay $6K per rotor replacement cost...

peace.

jason

Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
40 ounce youre right and I apologize.

Jason at six times a year no problem. Porsche motorsport pads (green) and some motul and you will be fine.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 PM
flyingphish is infamous around these parts
thank you sir.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
This may be an ignorant question about PCCB's but I'll ask it anyway:

Are the calipers on PCCB equipped GT3s the same as the Calipers on non PCCB GT3s?

If so, if I wore out the ceramic rotors, could I just switch to steel rotors and different pads, and not have to make any other changes to my brake set up?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 AM
tocho is infamous around these parts
I switched from PCCBs to steel using the same calipers (AP Racing rotors)

Old 10-04-2008, 11:48 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Look we have poked enough names at each other. Just get the guy some info.
He asked a decent question and it deserved a good answer.
I had 2 GT3's with both the Gen I and Gen II PCCBs. I am more than qualified to answer his question which is more than you could say with your IQ busting first response.
If its just marketing crap then why does Ferrari, Bentley, Audi, Aston Martin
use the same rotor?

And BTW the reason I dont have my GT cars any more and this should make you happy is I have a bad back, and I will be undergoing back surgery on Dec the 3rd. I was just updating my will. I guess I am an old fart. If it goes well and I should recover, I will be back in a Porsche soon after that.
I'm sorry but I sincerely think you are misleading people on this forum. I guess you are trying to convince yourself you didn't make a mistake ordering your car with PCCB... or you don't really track this car hard enough to heat the brakes !

Here is the factual reality: Not one real racer will tell you to use these PCCB on a track. This is the biggest marketing scam Porsche ever did. If Ferrari or other manufacturer don't have issues with it, it's probably because their car are designed differently and the brakes don't overheat or the actual material of the PCCB is different. A lot of club race racers order their GT3 with PCCB because they have a better resale value apparently but they switch to cast iron rotors day 1 and save the PCCB for the resale to non-initiated persons like you and me, who believe in what they read in sponsored magazines or on the Porsche website.

My 997 GT3 PCCB rotors are cooked after only 2,000 miles spent on tracks. A friend of me who owns a brand new 997 GT2 have the same issue after even less mileage ! Reality is that nobody with real track experience will advise anyone to buy this piece of sh... I am switching to AP floating cast iron rotors and I will spend the rest of my life telling everyone I can how poor is the quality of these rotors and the warranty service of Porsche if I can't have a decent offer from them.

Note that I didn't want these rotors initially when I ordered my car because I had heard about issues with them; it is only after strong recommendations from the dealer's salesman that I decided to take them. He told me that the second generation didn't have the same issues and that these PCCB were tested on an Alabama track for more than 65,000 miles. Now they argue that my home track layout is the problem because it doesn't give the PCCB rotors enough time to cool down ! Looks like other lucky owners of GT3 with these PCCB have the same issue on other tracks...

Last edited by GT3Techno; 10-14-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM
loki_ut is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3Techno
My 997 GT3 PCCB rotors are cooked after only 2,000 miles spent on tracks. A friend of me who owns a brand new 997 GT2 have the same issue after even less mileage ! Reality is that nobody with real track experience will advise anyone to buy this piece of sh... I am switching to AP floating cast iron rotors and I will spend the rest of my life telling everyone I can how poor is the quality of these rotors and the warranty service of Porsche if I can't have a decent offer from them.
Can tell us a little more about your replacement AP rotors? Are you placing the front and rears? If you are replacing the rears, will you be able to keep the parking brake operational? Finally, is this a complete replacement disc and hat, or does it reuse the PCCB hats?

Thanks for any input, my steel brakes are about to crack in front and I am looking for non OEM options for rotors.
Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCCB's durability