Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

PCCB's durability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:08 PM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
I have no experince with PCCB at all...

Will PCCB fro GT3 work on 997 TT ???

2nd TT I am getting now is with steel brakes and I wanna get PCCBs for it...

WIth light Dymaq wheels and Pccbs there would great weigth savings and the car should hadle better, stop and accelerate faster )))

Old 10-19-2008, 02:27 AM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
The reason why Lemans and other racing series don't use CCB is because rules don't allow them, otherwise everybody will be running them.

Brembo is on the third generation of Carbon rotors, but only the 2nd gen is available for Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo street cars.

The new generation carbon rotors are much lighter than the Gen I/Gen II PCCB rotors.

A 350mm iron rotor from my GT3 weighed 27 lbs. The same size rotor on Gen I PCCB weighed 12 lbs. The Gen III full Carbon from Brembo weighs 8 lbs.

I put 26,000 miles on a set of Gen I PCCB on my 996 GT3 combining almost 3,000 track miles, over 100 autocrosses and street driving.

I just bought back these same rotors and put them on the 7 GT3. The front ones need replacement, because the new owner of my 996 GT3 did not change pads when they were 1/2 gone, plus he probably invoked the ABS too much (the car was new to him). Rear ones are pristine.

The weight reduction is massive, by using 996 PCCB I dropped 50 lbs from the RS on unsprung weight. The performance is great. They just need 3 things:

1) Run thick pads, do not use them beyond 50% of pad material left
2) Avoid the ABS
3) Cool down laps

People using pads in bad shape (cracked) are grinding these PCCB rotors, and they will suffer from premature failures. That kind of unawareness does not mean that PCCB are bad, it just means that some people don't check their cars before running at the track.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Thanks for info... how long do those pad last of Pccbs ???

Can we run GT3 Pccsbs of 997 TT ???

Old 10-19-2008, 04:38 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The reason why Lemans and other racing series don't use CCB is because rules don't allow them, otherwise everybody will be running them.

Brembo is on the third generation of Carbon rotors, but only the 2nd gen is available for Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo street cars.

The new generation carbon rotors are much lighter than the Gen I/Gen II PCCB rotors.

A 350mm iron rotor from my GT3 weighed 27 lbs. The same size rotor on Gen I PCCB weighed 12 lbs. The Gen III full Carbon from Brembo weighs 8 lbs.

I put 26,000 miles on a set of Gen I PCCB on my 996 GT3 combining almost 3,000 track miles, over 100 autocrosses and street driving.

I just bought back these same rotors and put them on the 7 GT3. The front ones need replacement, because the new owner of my 996 GT3 did not change pads when they were 1/2 gone, plus he probably invoked the ABS too much (the car was new to him). Rear ones are pristine.

The weight reduction is massive, by using 996 PCCB I dropped 50 lbs from the RS on unsprung weight. The performance is great. They just need 3 things:

1) Run thick pads, do not use them beyond 50% of pad material left
2) Avoid the ABS
3) Cool down laps

People using pads in bad shape (cracked) are grinding these PCCB rotors, and they will suffer from premature failures. That kind of unawareness does not mean that PCCB are bad, it just means that some people don't check their cars before running at the track.
Not using pads beyond 50% is another reason to avoid the PCCB rotors... with cast iron, at least you can use the pads as they are intended to. Do you get a 50% rebate for these 50% useless pads ??

Old 10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OldGuy
What a waste of cyber space thanks for not adding anything.
Again if you use the proper pads you will not any problem Make sure
you have a good fluid too. the problems on Gen Is were the fluid got too
hot and the ABS couldnt handle the differnt viscosity and would eat the rotors
over braking a bazillion times. If you use Porsche motorsport green pad
your fine.
On Gen IIs its not even a problem. I know guys including myslelf that tracked the PCCBS with no issues unlike 40 milligrams up there
if it is a makerting scam then Ferrari Lamborghini, Porsche and Mercedes benz are all guilty.
Yes a waste of cyber space... sounds like no matter what happens- your on Porsche's side lines.. I myself tend to think that for the track - yes they were a great marketing tool / scam too.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 AM
frederic is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3Techno
With all due respect, I think you are missing the point. It's not only that they cost more and not a big deal because you can afford it.

Porsche claims that not only they provide a better braking feel and do not fade, they add they are made of a special material that resist to overheat and last much more than cast iron. This is not true. These PCCB are a defective product and like any other defective product, the manufacturer should go back to their R&D department to find a solution and stop selling it.
I absolutely agree with you, my GT2 is 7 years old, I travelled 47 000 Kms and the PCCB are completely destroyed now. The wear indicators appeared on the first track day at Le Mans ( 300 Kms on 1 day ) after 12 000 Kms. I think that Porsche lied to her customers : 1) lied in not explaining that these PCCB needed some care in there use 2) lied in telling AND writing : "a powerful new technology designed to cope with even the most extreme conditions on RACE-TRACK and road."( WVK 202 320 02 E/WW ) and 3) lied in following the same way for all these years.
For those who ask why Audi, Ferrari, Bentley etc sell also ceramic brakes, the answer is : "TO MAKE MORE MONEY".
If there are guys here who think that car manufacturers think only to there pleasure, I think they are in the 4th dimension.......

Last edited by frederic; 11-11-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:47 AM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frederic
I absolutely agree with you, my GT2 is 7 years old, I travelled 47 000 Kms and the PCCB are completely destroyed now. The wear indicators appeared on the first track day at Le Mans ( 300 Kms on 1 day ) after 12 000 Kms. I think that Porsche lied to her customers : 1) lied in not explaining that these PCCB needed some care in there use 2) lied in telling AND writing : "a powerful new technology designed to cope with even the most extreme conditions on RACE-TRACK and road."( WVK 202 320 02 E/WW ) and 3) lied in following the same way for all these years.
For those who ask why Audi, Ferrari, Bentley etc sell also ceramic brakes, the answer is : "TO MAKE MORE MONEY".
If there are guys here who think that car manufacturers think only to there pleasure, I think we are in the 4th dimension.......

Could not have said it better… all a scam in my book.

Last edited by 0396; 01-08-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:03 AM
997GT3NM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Thanks for previous info...

What is the weight diff btw steel and PCCBs and can you feel the diff while diriving the car ???

Does it have some effects of acceleration and braking ???
44 lbs. I can't feel it, but my friend can.

Yes; how much, can't say.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:03 AM
drqiman is infamous around these parts
It appears that the ideal brake for a typical Porsche owner would be a system that is light, has awesome braking power, can work on both street and track and is long lasting and . I have driven my friends GT3 with PCCB and I can tell the difference in handling when compared to my car with iron rotors.

The Brembo GTR brakes are almost as light as the PCCB and from what I have heard, have better performance and are more durable. Anyone here with this system that would care to comment?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by drqiman@mac.com
It appears that the ideal brake for a typical Porsche owner would be a system that is light, has awesome braking power, can work on both street and track and is long lasting and . I have driven my friends GT3 with PCCB and I can tell the difference in handling when compared to my car with iron rotors.

The Brembo GTR brakes are almost as light as the PCCB and from what I have heard, have better performance and are more durable. Anyone here with this system that would care to comment?
brembo GTR is a race application and not a good choice for the street.