Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

let's talk Carrera Gt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Slick //M is infamous around these partsSlick //M is infamous around these parts
let's talk Carrera Gt

I'm getting interested in the CGT.. . . .was hoping you guys could answer a few questions.

1. Does it work for a tall guy? I'm 6'5
2. What do I need to know about the clutch? Heard there are issues.
3. How's reliability?
4. Is it easy to drive fast? I saw a video of even the Stig losing control a few times.
5. What's fair market value for one with low miles?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Slick //M
I'm getting interested in the CGT.. . . .was hoping you guys could answer a few questions.

3. How's reliability?
4. Is it easy to drive fast? I saw a video of even the Stig losing control a few times.

Thanks in advance
1. I'm 6'2 and it's OK. You may be more comfortable with the roof off. I suggest driving one before you buy.
2. Not an issue after you get used to it (a few weeks). Just be sure to buy one from someone who didn't burn it out, or pay 20K to replace.
3. Very for an exotic. I only heard of one person breaking a transmission. I haven't heard on any other major failures, even on the earlier cars. You can't buy a warranty, so don't over-rev the engine! That would be expensive. Don't slip the clutch more than a second or two. It should last 50K+ miles if you watch that.
4. It takes practice. After a few months the car feels smaller, more friendly, and more predicable at the limits. Always keep TC on. Otherwise the car may rev faster than you can think on slippery surfaces (the V10 revs like a motorcycle.. no other car is like that). Once you become used to it, no other car will come close, as witnessed by what experts are doing with the CGT on the ring against very high HP cars. Serious enthusiasts claim it's the fastest car they have, by far. More fun to drive then an Enzo or Veyron. It's like a giant go-cart.
5. $400K is a good price for 10K or less miles. Mid to low $300s are no longer around unless the car is trashed.

Last edited by Bill S; 10-12-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 AM
themarsman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bill S
1. I'm 6'2 and it's OK. You may be more comfortable with the roof off. I suggest driving one before you buy.
2. Not an issue after you get used to it (a few weeks). Just be sure to buy one from someone who didn't burn it out, or pay 20K to replace.
3. Very for an exotic. I only heard of one person breaking a transmission. I haven't heard on any other major failures, even on the earlier cars. You can't buy a warranty, so don't over-rev the engine! That would be expensive. Don't slip the clutch more than a second or two. It should last 50K+ miles if you watch that.
4. It takes practice. After a few months the car feels smaller, more friendly, and more predicable at the limits. Always keep TC on. Otherwise the car may rev faster than you can think on slippery surfaces (the V10 revs like a motorcycle.. no other car is like that). Once you become used to it, no other car will come close, as witnessed by what experts are doing with the CGT on the ring against very high HP cars. Serious enthusiasts claim it's the fastest car they have, by far. More fun to drive then an Enzo or Veyron. It's like a giant go-cart.
5. $400K is a good price for 10K or less miles. Mid to low $300s are no longer around unless the car is trashed.
+5...

Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
well said Bill and I have to agree with every statement.

Another thing to point out is the attention this car gets! I swear everyone stares at you and on the highway people drive next to you and take out their camera phones. It does get annoying at times though but that comes with the territory.

Another funny thing is when people ask what kind of car it is. Not many people know its a Porsche

Another great factor which I love is the ability to have the hard top on or off. How many High End Exotics can provide both!

Also, make sure to know where you are going that day if planning to drive the CGT. It's a car where you need to make sure no hills, good parking, etc.. Basically you plan a route for the car

Good hunting!!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I drove on for about 100 miles including through stoplights and rode in one
20 or so times.

Bill S is 100% spot on! I found the clutch quite easy to use.

Good luck it is one of the all time greatest cars. PERIOD.

MK

Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned
lemansz20 is infamous around these parts
Wish I was in your shoes lol, good luck on the hunt.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Honored Member

W8MM is infamous around these parts

3. How's reliability?

Thanks in advance
1) I'm 6'4" and I fit with a helmet if I slouch ever so slightly. I wear 36" inseam trousers and find the CGT to have more leg room than any other Porsche I have driven. At our height, getting in and out of the car is a bit athletic unless one is yoga-class flexible.

2) Clutch problems are not left-foot problems -- they are right-foot issues. The clutch itself is super sublime. The motor has NO rotary inertia so that it is easy to stall it from insufficient throttle application during clutch take-up. This is a reaction caused by learning experiences with excess throttle The factory method of using the idle servo (don't touch the gas) to run the car from rest is a practical solution that even works on mild up-hill starts.

Once one is used to how the throttle makes the motor behave, it's no problem at all and I rarely use the idle servo method for anything other than creeping around in a lot or in a garage.

3) The only reliability problem I have experienced was a transmission synchro that went balky. The 2-3 and 4-3 shifts had issues. The whole transmission was replaced under warranty and all is well now.

4) Driving the car fast is very easy once one gets used to it (sped up my brain). At first, it can be pretty intimidating because of the quick onset of sheer speed and the decreased time available between decisions. It's a bit like a computer: garbage in - garbage out.

However, it has no bad habits and tolerates trail braking like a real race car. The only handling "improvement" I made was to change the rear anti-roll bar adjustment from the factory-set middle slot (of 3) to full soft. As delivered, the tail was a little too frisky for my taste.

The adjustment allowed me (old 911 pilot) to get on the gas earlier while exiting a corner without as much rear slip-angle excitement. It improved my lap times by several seconds, but I'm not a pro driver (understatement).

5) I'll probably never sell mine, so I haven't been following the market.

Cheers,

Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
bbs993tt is infamous around these parts

3. How's reliability?

Thanks in advance
1. I'm only 5'11" so I can't offer much help other than to say that there's a lot of travel on the seat rails. I do have a long upper body (read short legs) and have no problem at all with headroom.
2. There are no clutch issues, there are driver issues who blamed the clutch. Mike used a perfect word "sublime" to describe it and as others have said, once you get used to it, it's a no brainer.
3. I had to replace an alternator (and therefore the battery). Thank GOD it was under warranty because the entire bottom of the car had to come off. No problems otherwise.
4. Other than in a straight line, which it does VERY easily, not much help here either - too chicken to track it........yet
5. There seem to be a few for sale on ebay but I haven't noticed prices coming down significantly in light of what the economy's been doing.

Good luck with your search and if you get one, you won't be sorry. It provides an experience like no other car can.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
No problems here at 6'4". Especially with the lower seat option... even better with the wide seats too. The rest is pretty much like has been said.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:15 AM
DM1
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
Only advice I can give you, is try to find a later car (05), get one that has the XL seats, and NEVER take the TC off. But even with the TC on, the car can get sideways on you.

Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Honored Member

W8MM is infamous around these parts
Oops!

Thanks Sloth and DM1, I completely forgot about the "wide-butt" seat option.

I HAVE TO HAVE the XL seats in my CGT or the circulation to my back side would be cut off.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
richkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura about
Best car ever...should never have sold mine!!! I am in the market again and there are quite a few good cars for sale.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
1. I'm 5'10" so can't help you there.
2-5. WHO CARES, it's a CGT!! GET ONE!!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of

3. How's reliability?

Thanks in advance
1) I'm 5'10", sorry can't help you on this one.
2) Like the others have said...now I really never think about it other than a standing start launch on an uphill with an SUV 6 inches from my rear bumper and creeping closer...
3) Bulletproof, so far
4) That is relative - I think you need to pay more attention when driving fast, but otherwise no harder than other cars of its class.
5) Seems that 400-450 is the range these days for under 5k miles.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Slick //M is infamous around these partsSlick //M is infamous around these parts
Thx for all the advice guys. . . the search begins.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: let's talk Carrera Gt