Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 vs 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
996 GT3 road manners

I recently completed a 2000 mile trip out west in a (new to me) 996 GT3. This car replaced an aircooled with a 2.7 RS MFI car. I was surprised how civilized and brutally over the top this new car is. The only pause for concern is that the GT3 is apparently a little lower than the old Carrera. Otherwise, Jeeeeez! Improvements everywhere, especially an a/c that actually works. 23mpg at an indicated 100-110 mph. Much quieter than the aircooled car, but when you put your foot in to it, it not only sings, but you get that power surge at 5000 and another at 7000. An amazing bit of engineering.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bma2
996 stock vs 997 stock---how much weight did she gain? And is it easier (read that as cheaper) to bump the torque/hp on one or the other? thanks, bma2
if you want bump hp, get TT or GT2.
it's foolish, pointless and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get meaningful hp out of GT3, any GT3.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
both amazing cars. I can't wait to get mine.

Regardless, RS wing upgrade FTW

Old 11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mbmanhattan

I wish....my general budget is 6GT3 territory. I want to keep my M3, so I either have to wait for 7GT3 prices to come down some more, or stick with a 6GT3.

Right now I'm leaning towards waiting for the 7GT3's to get into my neck of the woods, I just like the look and the overall package a bit more. It'll be tracked, so no PCCB's needed.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:46 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I owned a 996 GT3 and absolutely loved it. I did a few mods to it and I was able to walk away from stock 997 GT3's with it.
(If price is not an issue--> ) IMO the 997 GT3 is much better as far as the overall package is concerned. For a track only car with little street, the 6 will be more than enough for most. If you are planning on driving it to work every once in a while, take it on weekend runs etc, go with the 7. With all that said, the 7 is not necessarily worth the difference in price between the 2. Both are fantastic cars.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM
swbatte is infamous around these parts
This discussion is always interesting.

1.5 seconds per lap is accurate only for very experienced drivers. To most people, this comparison is moot.

My advice - go drive both. If $40,000 is chump change you might get the 7, if it's not, the 6 is a great buy, and it's what I went for, and couldn't be happier.

I don't know you - but can tell you that many people who buy GT3s have no idea what they are really buying. have you completely eliminated a TT from your consideration? I guess I'm asking why you want a GT3. Are you a track rat?

Give us some more details on your needs, and that may help us clear up the brain fog that comes from comparing 2 such capable cars.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
All depends on what you want. Dedicated track car, 996 GT3 modified. Combo street / DE, 997 GT3. As to pricing, it can be as little as $25-30k apart and that differential should be fairly dynamic - in 2 years there will still be a gap so it's not like you are throwing money away buying the more expensive car. Like warranty coverage? Then a 997 might be the way to go - hard to put a present value on that. Back in May I bought my 997 GT3 for mid 90s including CPO - so I have coverage through 2013 vs. say low 70s for a 996 without warranty. Nice piece of mind.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
996gt3 with Moton's, cage, seats, new race pads, and hoosiers.

Hard to beat that setup for 99.99% of us hacks

This past summer a pro driver (cup car racer) jumped into my nicely setup C2 and blew the doors off everyone in the advanced run group which included 997 and 996 GT3's. His corner speed was amazing. So what I am saying is, my slow *** car did the unthinkable to me, showed me that I have years to go before I can take it to the limit. Imagine if he drove a GT3

Last edited by c2mojo; 11-26-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by c2mojo
996gt3 with Moton's, cage, seats, new race pads, and hoosiers.

Hard to beat that setup for 99.99% of us hacks
Yup, and I know of one just like that for sale (cheap too), but with LOTS more. PM me if anyone is interested. I know the car and its owner personally and it's flawless!

This past summer a pro driver (cup car racer) jumped into my nicely setup C2 and blew the doors off everyone in the advanced run group which included 997 and 996 GT3's. His corner speed was amazing. So what I am saying is, my slow *** car did the unthinkable to me, showed me that I have years to go before I can take it to the limit. Imagine if he drove a GT3
Indeed, it's amazing the kind of circles GT3's can run around most cars in the hands of capable drivers.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
You're right on!

When my instructor drove my club coupe, its performance is amazing and can beat a lot of faster cars with normal drivers. There is really a lot to learn just with a regular C2 or C2S.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Same thing happened at the last PCA event I went to....a pro jumped into a new Carrera-S and ran circles around the entire instructor and advanced group....on street tires. His corner speed was comic-book fast....car control was off the charts.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Yea... driver makes a lot of difference in fast Porsches.

If I don't care about $40k difference between 996 and 997, I would definitely take 997. It is a fact that 997 has better chasis, more stablity compare to 996. In that sense, if you start with the 996 GT3, you can become a better driver later on. That's why those old school Porsche drivers are super fast in today's 911s. I've read the article that Walter Rohl can drive most Porsches faster than current Porsche Super Cup champions.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 PM
drnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to behold
It takes about 10k in mods to make a 996 GT3 out perform a stock 997 GT3 (both in a straight line and around the track). Considering the price difference is 30-40k, I have driven 997 GT3s and I cant justify upgrading just yet. It is a better platform to start from for sure, but then the modification bills start rolling in all over again.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Hmmm, a second and a half for $40k. Geez...
Well, a second and a half is a huge amount of time assuming the 7 really is that much faster. Also, last time I checked, MSRP on the 6GT3 was about the same as the 7GT3. As with any car, you'll save a bunch of money buying a used, previous generation model. It's a wonder anybody buys a new car it there's no point in having one ;-)

Old 11-28-2008, 08:50 AM
pplace993 is infamous around these parts
I agree! I'm also looking to get into GT3, & would love a 7GT3, I think its the best looking new Porsche made! But right now I can only afford a used 6Gt3! I've raced with both Gt3's on the track & it seems the 7GT3 is easier to drive. IMO it comes down to how much disposable $ you have( long $- 7GT3, low $-6GT3). If you can hold off till the prices come down, get the 7, but I think its not going to happen no time soon!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 vs 997 GT3