Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Trailer Tow Hook Placement 997 GT3/GT3RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I have a poor mans Cayenne S (Touareg V8) that I want to use to tow my car. I have been told that it would be fine, as it can tow 7800lbs. I have read about the brake controllers, I am not 100% sure what they do. From what I understand it allows the driver to adjust the braking bias on the trailer. Is that correct?
It basically senses how quickly the tow vehicle is stopping and applies proportional braking ..helps avoid jacknifing..here is a link. (I use a Tekonso but there are various brands). Its an essential things, and you should get in installed professionally if you are not handy. I have had two Touareg V8s..great cars.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_brakecontroller.aspx

Old 11-17-2008, 04:39 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Thanks, I had been on that site this morning, and realized the same thing that you are saying.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Here's some photos of the Rennline hooks installed on the rear of the 7 GT3.

Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lawjdc
Thanks, these pictures are helpful. I purchased a set of 45 degree Rennline tie down hooks and plan to try to install them tomorrow. Did you have need to modify them at all?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:16 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage
Thanks, these pictures are helpful. I purchased a set of 45 degree Rennline tie down hooks and plan to try to install them tomorrow. Did you have need to modify them at all?
I understand that it was necessary to bend them down a little bit. The race tech at SportHaus did it for me.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
I understand that it was necessary to bend them down a little bit. The race tech at SportHaus did it for me.
I had the RS up on the hoist this morning and installed a set of Rennline 45 degree tie down hooks on the rear cross member. The cross member attachment points are the same as on the picture appearing on my first post on this thread. To access the bolts I needed to move the sway bar out of the way which is done by removing 4 13mm bolts. The attachment point bolts are 18mm and the nut on the opposite side is 16mm. In order to achieve the correct angle so the Rennline hooks will accept the tie down strap hooks, clear the sway bar and not hang below the edge of the wheel rim they needed to be modified (bent) to about 67 degrees.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage
I modified mine. the 45 degree hooks just pointed down a bit to much so I uses a vary sophisticated method. I took a floor jack and used it to bend them up a bit. One Note on a 997 3 the oil tank is real close to the Right rear hook, just give your self some room to work with when using your tow hook.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
hardracing is infamous around these parts
For the FRONT Tie Down these work great.

Last edited by hardracing; 07-11-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hardracing
For the FRONT Tie Down these work great.

http://www.rennline.com/Front-Tie-Do...oductinfo/E32/

+1, I have them and they are great.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Yea, we used to do the "Through the wheel" Straps.
But they eventually scuff your wheels after a while, and cross pattern can pull the front toe out of alignment.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doccao
Looks like a good idea, but I still would not want to place any additional stress by towing on the chassis. Wheel strap works for me.

And that of course can knock a very meticulously set up car out of
alignment

Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
And that of course can knock a very meticulously set up car out of
alignment
Exactly.

We sell the Rennline Front and Rear Tie Down Anchors shown above all day long to customers who want better way to secure their car.

EVEN Street Cars can bennefit.

Imagine you have to get a flatbed toe to the dealership.

Do you think Joe Bobs Towing Service will give two craps about where he anchors your car. ?? NOPE.

We have seen Porsches towed to us achored on suspension links, or the Braces....etc.
Sometimes they even broke one tying it down too much.

Without a doubt, having these BIG RED Hooks underneeth, FRONT AND REAR, is just a no brainer. For piece of mind. Street or Race.

No better way to anchor your car down.

And they are very very, cheap. Like $89.95 (Front Set) and $38.95 (Rear Set)

It's a No Brainer.

Last edited by hardracing; 07-11-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
I have the front and rears from Rennline, I bent the rears down as decribed, my car is pretty low and the rears have bottomed (Maybe over a verb or something) but they still work great. The fronts are perfect as-is.

I have en enclosed trailer, I put the front ones on and stuff them under de trunk, drive in the car and I can reach the rears after the car is in the trailer, no problem.

Really do not like the through the wheels straps, messes with allignment and it depends a bout on how the wheels sits I guess, but to the frame just feels more secure.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
ngng is infamous around these parts
Do you know the torque specs for that bolt? I need to install my set.