Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Trailer Tow Hook Placement 997 GT3/GT3RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Trailer Tow Hook Placement 997 GT3/GT3RS

There are a few threads discussing the merits of using through-the-wheel straps vs chassis mounted tie down hooks (such as Rennline's: http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=E04 ) to secure a 997 to a trailer. I have ordered a set of track wheels that don't lend themselves well to through-the-wheel tie downs so despite some of the disadvantages I am planning to buy and install chassis mounted hooks. I am wondering if anyone has pictures of the chassis mounting points they've used (and which hooks - 90 degree, 45 degree or straight) for a 997 GT3 or GT3RS? Any "tips and tricks" would also be appreciated.

Last edited by Edgemontvillage; 11-13-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 AM
greygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to all
I have the 90 degree hooks on my car and they work perfectly. It makes trailering the car very easy.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by greygt3
I have the 90 degree hooks on my car and they work perfectly. It makes trailering the car very easy.
Do you have a 997? I would be interested in hearing about where on the chassis you have the hooks bolted and how many you have used?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
doccao is infamous around these parts
Looks like a good idea, but I still would not want to place any additional stress by towing on the chassis. Wheel strap works for me.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Thats a cool mod.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Rennline

I contacted Rennline directly for information on tie down hook mounting locations and hook styles for the 997 GT3 / GT3 RS. I was told they DO NOT currently have a rear tie down hook mounting point solution for the GT3 / GT RS. To mount tie down hooks in the front, part of the the plastic underbody cover needs to be cut away to expose the sub-frame mounting points. For other 997's Rennline has a rear mounting point solution (see picture above in my first posting on this thread) using 90 degree hooks. However to bolt the front tie downs the same cut-away of the chassis cover is required (yuk). Does anyone have any information on another vendor tie down hook solution for a 997 GT3 / GT3 RS?

Last edited by Edgemontvillage; 11-13-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:16 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
You didn't say if you are going to use an open trailer or a closed trailer. For an open trailer, you would use the Rennline hooks in the photo below, but bend them slightly down, about 30 - 45 degrees, so that your strap hooks will clear the sway bar. Be sure and cross your tie downs in the back so the car will not shift on the trailer.

For the front, the easy (and secure) way to do it is to use through the wheel straps. The ones made by G-Force are padded, so you have no possible damage to your wheels. See the attached photo below.

I have used this setup for two seasons now - no problems whatsoever.

Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by lawjdc
You didn't say if you are going to use an open trailer or a closed trailer. For an open trailer, you would use the Rennline hooks in the photo below, but bend them slightly down, about 30 - 45 degrees, so that your strap hooks will clear the sway bar. Be sure and cross your tie downs in the back so the car will not shift on the trailer.

For the front, the easy (and secure) way to do it is to use through the wheel straps. The ones made by G-Force are padded, so you have no possible damage to your wheels. See the attached photo below.

I have used this setup for two seasons now - no problems whatsoever.
Terrific information, thanks. I will be using an enclosed trailer however your tie down solution should also work. Are you saying that you used Rennline's 45 degree tie down hooks (modified) with mounting points in the back positioned in the same locations as in the Rennline photo on your GT3? I plan to get my car up on a lift next weekend so I'll look for these points.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:40 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
I used the Rennline 45 degree hooks in the rear I installed them where you have depicted next to the sway bar. I then bent the hooks slightly to increase ground clearance. I use 4 straps in the rear one set one set forward and back the other set crossed. No hook option for the front, I use through the wheel straps with padding works fine. You can also put a strap on your tow hook in the front for comfort.

Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2008, 04:50 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Here is my setup for the RS

Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RMcG

we have the same trailer, I would like to get some wheel covers like the one for your spare, did that come with it or after market?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:03 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Came from the trailer dealer as a standard.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:42 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

Are you towing your RS with a Cayenne?

Do you have more photo's of the towing set up

(sorry to hijack your thread Lloyd)

Ed

Old 11-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Yes..Cayenne S.. Do not have a photo of the towing setup but its standard as it came with the trailer. Towbar fitted by Porsche. I use a digital brake controller. The trailer/car together weigh 4100 lbs and I took the whole rig to a commercial weighbridge to get the loads measured on the rear wheels of the Cayenne to ensure it was within spec.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Yes..Cayenne S.. Do not have a photo of the towing setup but its standard as it came with the trailer. Towbar fitted by Porsche. I use a digital brake controller. The trailer/car together weigh 4100 lbs and I took the whole rig to a commercial weighbridge to get the loads measured on the rear wheels of the Cayenne to ensure it was within spec.
I have a poor mans Cayenne S (Touareg V8) that I want to use to tow my car. I have been told that it would be fine, as it can tow 7800lbs. I have read about the brake controllers, I am not 100% sure what they do. From what I understand it allows the driver to adjust the braking bias on the trailer. Is that correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Hook Placement 997 GT3/GT3RS