Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Help me create a modification route map for my bone stock GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by prodigue
The car will be used 90% on the street, and I'd probably hit the track at most twice a year. I'm not looking for huge BHP gains, just exploring the little areas where I can extract a little bit out of it. Main objective in my mod route map is to just make my GT3 just a tad more personalised without going ridiculous.

Is the BMC drop-in filter a popular mod to replace the stock filter element? It doesn't cost much and I'm sure the car would benefit from increased air volume since it's normally aspirated.

Oh yeah, how about the Softronic ECU? I like the convenience factor where you can flash the ECU at home.. apart from that how is this program compared to other players like DMS?

I'll keep in mind about the alignment. Cheers!
Like i said, unless you have LOTS of money to burn, hp should be very last on the list of mods, if it even makes the list. A full exhaust system and proper tune will run you north of 7k easily. Not worth it. BMC drop in wont hurt but isn't necessary. Porsche did their homework. As a testimate to this PMNA rated their stock airbox in the 996 turbo motors effective up to 700hp. If you don't believe me, ask Fabryce at GMG. Their Time Attack winning GT2 makes 700+ and they're still using the stock box. If you want a little more get up, work on reducing the weight of the car. This way you'll see performance gains in cornering and braking as well as hp to weight.

I've heard nothing but good things about Softronic stuff but again, upgrading the ECU is not necessary. Not sure who DMS is?

If you want to 'personalize' your GT3 a little more, get a nice set of wheels, do Sharky's exhaust mod, the CF interior mods you were talking about and be done with it.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 AM
drnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to behold
Sorry for being a jerk, but if you are only going to be driving the car for 20 days a year why would need to modify it?
"The car will be used 90% on the street, and I'd probably hit the track at most twice a year" - so only 18 days on the street?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
i dont think thats what the OP meant sounds like he wants to add mods to his car and plans to drive 90% of time in the street. he never stated that he'll only drive the car 20days/yr.

Originally Posted by drnano
Sorry for being a jerk, but if you are only going to be driving the car for 20 days a year why would need to modify it?
"The car will be used 90% on the street, and I'd probably hit the track at most twice a year" - so only 18 days on the street?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
prodigue is infamous around these parts
Total misinterpretation. The car would be a daily driver which would be used primarily on the street, with me hitting the tracks at most twice in a year.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Like i said, unless you have LOTS of money to burn, hp should be very last on the list of mods, if it even makes the list. A full exhaust system and proper tune will run you north of 7k easily. Not worth it. BMC drop in wont hurt but isn't necessary. Porsche did their homework. As a testimate to this PMNA rated their stock airbox in the 996 turbo motors effective up to 700hp. If you don't believe me, ask Fabryce at GMG. Their Time Attack winning GT2 makes 700+ and they're still using the stock box. If you want a little more get up, work on reducing the weight of the car. This way you'll see performance gains in cornering and braking as well as hp to weight.

I've heard nothing but good things about Softronic stuff but again, upgrading the ECU is not necessary. Not sure who DMS is?

If you want to 'personalize' your GT3 a little more, get a nice set of wheels, do Sharky's exhaust mod, the CF interior mods you were talking about and be done with it.
Point noted. Thanks.

On the subject of wheels.. what goes well with the white GT3? Criteria that I've is that it must be black and lightweight. So far I only have the BBS LM in mind..

Suggestions would be appreciated cheers!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:31 PM
drnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to behold
It was a joke (a lame one).

"he never stated that he'll only drive the car 20days/yr" - he did state that, accidentally. 90% on the street plus 2 days at the track, unless he spends alot of time doing doughnuts in the parking lot or driving offroad through the jungle, those 2 track days make up the other 10%. All up thats "20days/yr" of driving.

Anyway, to answer the original question. Do what I think are the 4 most important mods first and see how you like it:

LWFW, cup low ratio diff, muffler bypass, 18 inch rims with good R-compounds (R888, DZ03, RE55s)

The car will feel much faster, rev alot more freely and it will sound the **** too. I would look at solid bushes, cup car tie rods, control arms and sway bars and also solid rose joints (dog bones) before I started looking at fully adjustable aftermarket coilovers. Get the car corner balanced and aligned by a good workshop and the car will be "90%" as good as any GT3 out there. Everything after that and the added improvement starts to become marginal.

Last edited by drnano; 12-15-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by prodigue
Point noted. Thanks.

On the subject of wheels.. what goes well with the white GT3? Criteria that I've is that it must be black and lightweight. So far I only have the BBS LM in mind..

Suggestions would be appreciated cheers!
If your are going to stick with 19's you have A LOT of nice options. In the order I'd go...

1. BBS E88's with black or gold centers
2. Champion RS 171 Monolites
3. Champion RS98 Monolites
4. HRE C21 or C93's

If you're going to 18's

1. BBS Mags
2. BBS E88's
3. HRE C21 Cups

All of those wheels are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but IMO the best looking and extremely functional.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
ILWFW, cup low ratio diff, muffler bypass, 18 inch rims with good R-compounds (R888, DZ03, RE55s)

The car will feel much faster, rev alot more freely and it will sound the **** too. I would look at solid bushes, cup car tie rods, control arms and sway bars and also solid rose joints (dog bones) before I started looking at fully adjustable aftermarket coilovers. Get the car corner balanced and aligned by a good workshop and the car will be "90%" as good as any GT3 out there. Everything after that and the added improvement starts to become marginal.
As Chuck stated the LWFW will void the warranty and a lot of people argue for the money it doesnt make a big enough difference. No need for a low ratio diff if he wont be tracking much. Same goes for solid bushings, tie rods, control arms, dog bones, and sways. Perhaps toe links to get of the toe issues on track but like you said everything after that (especially in his case) becomes marginal. Even for those that track over 30 days a year the stock bushings, control arms, dog bones, sways, etc... are already good enough for the amount of camber needed for R-Comps and Hoosiers. Even for those who are more experienced, taking out the rubber offers very little performance and feel increase.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
looking forward for pictures.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
First, lets see some GT3 pictures in lovely SG!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:08 AM
Will post it up next week after I collect her and give it a good wax

Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 AM
If your are going to stick with 19's you have A LOT of nice options. In the order I'd go...

1. BBS E88's with black or gold centers
2. Champion RS 171 Monolites
3. Champion RS98 Monolites
4. HRE C21 or C93's

All of those wheels are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but IMO the best looking and extremely functional.
I agree with those wheels. What are the exact specifications required to fit the 997 GT3 without any spacers for 19"?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 AM
As Chuck stated the LWFW will void the warranty and a lot of people argue for the money it doesnt make a big enough difference. No need for a low ratio diff if he wont be tracking much.
I disagree. I think that the LWFW and lower-ratio diff are the most important mods after the muffler is 'upgraded'. They make the car feel alot faster (assuming thats what he wants) and are far better than an ECU flash (which probably has the same impact on your warranty anyway). Try it on your 996 and see.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Simply powdercoat the stock wheels if you like the black wheel look.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 AM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Stock wheels look okay but they weigh a ton.
Aftermarket 19s will save a lot of unsprung weight and look nicer.

I vote for RS171 Champion's in black.
Not sure what the exact offsets are, but when you order, just specify 997 narrow-body. They will certainly have the perfect specs for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me create a modification route map for my bone stock GT3