Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Oil leak on my GT3 RS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porschetech
........kevin, cause it ain't true.

think about it.........is this really some secret that porsche doesn't want anyone to know about? this is the first i heard about it and if this engine case design is so bad with oil leaks. then why has porsche been using this same engine since the 930 era?

if it was a porosity issue then yeah i would have agreed with him, as some engines had this defect and 'WAS NOT' denied by porsche either.

i'm sorry but both me and manni call 'BS' on this one
For the ones that don't know Porschetech, he's one of the mechanics that work at Livermore Porsche.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 PM
rickg87 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschetech
........kevin, cause it ain't true.

think about it.........is this really some secret that porsche doesn't want anyone to know about? this is the first i heard about it and if this engine case design is so bad with oil leaks. then why has porsche been using this same engine since the 930 era?

if it was a porosity issue then yeah i would have agreed with him, as some engines had this defect and 'WAS NOT' denied by porsche either.

i'm sorry but both me and manni call 'BS' on this one
I agree. You cant make a statement like that out of the blue with no backup info.
It's BS

Old 02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
porschetech is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
For the ones that don't know Porschetech, he's one of the mechanics that work at Livermore Porsche.
you're quite the pw here kev

Old 02-25-2009, 07:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Just put in a 996TT seal and be done with it, my friends silver 997gt3 went through 3 seals in 6 months, when they wanted to swap engines he said 'no thanks, just try the 996tt seal 1st'. Guess what? No leaks in a yr. thanks gt3of the north

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Neither my 993TT nor my 996TSCab, both on stock setups and after tuning, do any leaking. Of course both are Mezger P64/GT1 blocks.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BEN@autoscope
Hi, my name is Ben and ive been a Porsche tech for the last 4 years, we have been seeing on the new gt3 and the gt3 rs that there is an oil leak coming from the rear of the case area. Many people are being misled by the dealerships being told a whole lot of BS about it being there rear main seal that is leaking due to vacuum loss while the car is sitting, i have first hand information that it is not the rear main seal that is leaking!!! It is the case AND the case bolts!!! When i first came across this issue i to thought it was the rear main seal so i replaced it, after test driving car found oil leaking again, pulled the transmission again and pulled out the rear main seal as it pulls out in two pieces you can see that the sealing surface was dry and no oil found in between the seal, also no oil trail running down from sealing area, me and my shop forman called tech line for assistance...i was told that porsche saya to use a wicking lock tight on the case bolts to stop the leak. So we did that let the lock tight sit over night and dry...test drove again found that case was still leaking!! We contacted tech line again and they sent the area rep for porsche to the store, she made us split the case for Porsche and take pictures of what we found, rebuilt entire engine and test drove using the old air case locktight. The truth is the dealer doesnt want you to know this because there is no fix for it... the cases are bad and are always going to leak oil sorry guys
Then why doesn't the turbo leak, it's the same crankcase?
Why don't cup cars leak?
Nice theory ben, but it's just conjecture.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Then why doesn't the turbo leak, it's the same crankcase?
Why don't cup cars leak?
Nice theory ben, but it's just conjecture.
exactly...........sorry to say he was dearly mis-informed. or perhaps his own assumption

Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Former Vendor
BEN@autoscope is infamous around these partsBEN@autoscope is infamous around these parts
Everyone here has there own thoughts and opinions on the oil leak issue, the case and the RMS. All I can tell you guys is that I have spent almost 3 weeks in the engine room tearing the motor down, with the rep and my shop forman who has 25 years with Porsche...SO...we came up empty handed and could not find a solution to the problem. Was it a bad run of engines from the factory? I dont know! Is every case bad? I dont know! But I have seen this problem one to many times on to many Porsches.

My intentions are to share my knowledge on the oil leak issues! If you go through 3 RMS's then I would have your dealer re-check all your bolts! Thats all!

Have a good day!!!

-Ben

Last edited by BEN@autoscope; 02-26-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
ok so what is it really? one minute you're in here telling everyone that its this massive secret that porsche is hiding from them. now you're saying that this was something you found.

i've only come across 1 GT3 engine that wasn't a RMS leak.....it was a porous case. the M96 engines on the otherhand had nothing but RMS problems, intermediate shaft failures and crank cradles shifting inside the crankcase (hence the special tool for measuring case to crank clearance).

i don't understand your logic here as you're making this engine out to be nothing more than a glorified sieve. you seeing maybe 1-2 engines leak this way doesn't mean that all porsche engines have this problem. plus it doesn't help by you telling people to get their cases/case bolts checked

Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
nope far from it.......but you obviously do. very impressive for a 4 yr porsche vet .

Last edited by porschetech; 02-26-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Steve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the rough
Didn't CorsicanBB also have a problem with a porous case?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...resealing.html

That said, although both of you Porsche techs here have good points, I don't think either of you can discount the validity or the findings of the other. I am sure some leaks are caused by the RMS, as evidenced by the guys who installed the turbo seal, and others probably not as evidenced by the above and those that still had leaks the after install of a new seal. You can't say Porsche doesn't have it secrets when it comes to delivering cars they know have substandard parts/construction. For example, an associate of mine who has disassembled many failed 996 and Boxster motors for analysis and product development, found one interesting thing common to many of these failures - blue paint markings from the factory on or around the failed components inside the motor. The theory is either upon assembly or testing, these sections were marked in paint as substandard or defective, with the engine to go back to reassembly, or they just said, fukit and just send it out and if it comes back during warranty, we'll deal with it then.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
^^^ sorry..........what those paint markings mean is that they've been torqued and checked to correct factory spec. as an example i have a 996TT here with yellow markings around certain unions and bolts. this tells the QC person that area has been checked/inspected.

these engines are all dyno'd before installation and before leaving the factory. i don't see porsche using substandard parts or saying *** it just to save a few pennies. their reputaion is on the line here.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Steve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the rough
Sorry, but we're talking about two different things. You're talking about the yellow bolt torque verification paint. I'm talking about unique blue paint markings around internal engine components that have failed - i.e. failed IMSs and the D-chunk failures on cylinders.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
very interesting conversation guys. keep it going but keep it cool.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
i used yellow as an example.

i'm sorry but i still don't buy it.........porsche would not allow defective parts/engines to be used in any of their vehicles.

its just a theory as you said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Oil leak on my GT3 RS!