Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Oil leak on my GT3 RS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rickg87
True,
I was in a family business for almost 20 years, from 1982 - 2001.
We instituted a Service Quality Initiative company wide around 1993 pr 94. Deming's and others ways were incorporated. You manage from the bottom up. Like a reverse pyramid. Front line people have the power to change processes. Everyone is accountable to improve the process. It made our company much more efficient and valuable. Enough so that we sold and I retired very early in 2001.
Talk about getting off topic!
Very nice

We should forward this thread to Rick Wagner at GM and maybe he can learn something from your business practice

Last edited by mikymu; 02-27-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM
porschetech is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikymu
Very nice

We should forward this thread to Rick Wagner at GM and maybe he can learn something form your business practice
hahahaha......took the words right out of my mouth

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
rickg87 is infamous around these parts
It hard to imagine how short sighted these companies are.
Married to unions and politicians.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rickg87
It hard to imagine how short sighted these companies are.
Married to unions and politicians.
Sad but true. Everyone is looking out for their own interest and forgot about the company. The host can only last so long before the parasite destroy everything .....

Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 AM
ir_fuel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikymu
Sad but true. Everyone is looking out for their own interest and forgot about the company. The host can only last so long before the parasite destroy everything .....
Partially thanks to the stock market. People do not buy stocks of a company because they believe in the company, they just buy them because they hope the stocks will rise so they can sell them with a profit. They couldn't care less whether the company builds cars or sells diapers. The result is that short-term numbers become much more important than long-term vision (a bit like in politics where the maximum time-span is 4-6 years, so taking good long-term decsions which hurt in the short-term are almost never taken because I could cost them votes), with all the consequences...

Another issue (imho) is the constant "quest for growth". If company X makes Y billion dollars profit last year, and makes Y billion dollars this year, stocks go down. They always want more and more. A moment this is bound to explode, they reach the limits of the market, so they start looking for other markets/products to increase revenue. Then for some reason the economy goes bad, and they start closing down all that extra stuff "to concentrate on their core business". It might have been easier to just concentrate on that and only that from the beginning?

Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I spoke with a Porsche engineer yesterday about the on-going oil leaks. Specifically while looking at a slight oil drip under the RS. He said if you have it repaired again, the leak it will just come back again. Said the party line, the car was not driven enough.

I mentioned driving patterns is relative term as some of us have multiple cars and often drive differently than in German. So are you suggesting the seal/case was designed only German driving standards -- frequent usage and higher highway speeds? Plus it is not an issue in German and ROW? No real answer.

But his final answer intriged me, said do not get it repaired... as will not be pleased when the leak returns again in months/year(s) ahead. If kept car 5 years from now, it still will not drip any more than today, plus it is not damaging anything. "Just put a pan under rear of car to avoid drips directly on garage floor."

Made me think... that is what I did with my old V-12 Jag after the engine was rebuilt.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Jakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to behold
Interesting stuff, I thought only the older P-Cars leaked oil...

Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 AM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
Sounds like the 996 TT RMS is worth a try.

Last edited by jmla; 03-06-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM
breadslicers is infamous around these parts
Now Porsche NA is saying they won't pay for RMS repairs. I just spoke with them, second time around in 3 months. Poor design with no solution bad for Porsche name. Maybe they qualify for the lemon law or a class action lawsuit?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
Very disappointing news. I had hoped that PCNA would acknowledge the issue and offer a better fix...so much for being optimistic

Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Gt3 rms 997

Porsche has no fix and their answer, it's "normal" is a cop out for a bad engineering design. Poor attitude and poor customer service. If you're in the manufacturing business and you have a design flaw normal companies fix problems. With no fix it's nothing but excuses.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
After reading breadslicers' post, I decided to call my service advisor to see if he had any new information. He said that he has not seen the revised 997 seal fail on any stock GT3's. He believes that my car's recurring seal issue is due to my aftermarket exhaust and RS flywheel (he too has been brainwashed by Porsche). He did not have an answer as to why my car leaks much more now (with the 997 seal) than before. I'd really like to try the 996TT seal, are there any SoCal Pcar Tech's out there that can give me a deal on labor?

Last edited by jmla; 08-18-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
dtakenname is infamous around these parts
Hi,
Any news regarding the 2010 GT3,RS RMS?
Any changes in the design of this seal?
Any leaks reported on 2010 GT3 cars?
Many Thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Gt3 rms

I heard that Sharkwerks had a fix, probably a TT seal which Porsche doesn't recommend. As you know it's not a problem at Porsche only with their customers. Matter of time before the 2010 leaks, time will tell if the direct injection engine will do the same in 2012. I had a long discussion with the Porsche Scottsdale people, Penske folks, they had to laugh as well. They've fixed em and had em back in a week. Porsche should sell a pan for under the car as no one can hit the same spot twice in their garage, I tried a coffee can, no luck.

Last edited by breadslicers; 02-01-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
I was told that if we use the 996 seal, it will take away some hp.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Oil leak on my GT3 RS!