Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Front spoiler lip protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
M3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud of
What you see in this video is what i went through getting my GT3 in the carpark:

I live in paris, I got stuck in my car because it was too tight to open the door and I also had to use some wood sticks..and i almost cried when i heard the lip rubbing the ground LOL

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=QghVW7LiNng

Old 02-01-2009, 12:33 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by M3lelena
What you see in this video is what i went through getting my GT3 in the carpark:

I live in paris, I got stuck in my car because it was too tight to open the door and I also had to use some wood sticks..and i almost cried when i heard the lip rubbing the ground LOL

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=QghVW7LiNng
I wholly sympathize! At least you can take your lip off easily unlike these guys.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Second Childhoo is infamous around these parts
I need to get to the hardware store now.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Pictures of Clear protection installed

As promised, here is my report (and photos) on using clear door edging for chin spoiler protection.

I ordered a 10ft. roll of the material from this company:

http://www.brandsport.com/trmg-nc0005.html

First off all, this is what the 10ft. section looked like out of the package:

Name:  ea22352b.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  100.0 KB

Test application with the adhesive still covered with red tape:

Partially installed:

Name:  6c34773c.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  85.9 KB

Finished install:

Name:  4b384585.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  90.9 KB

This material is very firmly adhered to the underside of the chin spoiler. I already had a slight rub episode in an uneven parking lot, and the rubberized clear guarding protected the spoiler, never loosend up, and didn't show any wear from the incident. I'm going to go ahead and order another 10ft. roll just in case I tear this stripping free in the future.

Hope this helps somebody.

Dan

Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
I lowered my 997 GT3 30mm and put 10k miles on the car and the lip still looked new! It all depends on where you drive and how you drive i suppose.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
docdan

The clear door edge molding works well for painted front bumper spoiler. Glad it did it's job well already. Looks good on your set up. This simple fix has already pay dividend for me on many driveway entry and exit for the past couple months

Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 AM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz
I lowered my 997 GT3 30mm and put 10k miles on the car and the lip still looked new! It all depends on where you drive and how you drive i suppose.

Wow, I can't imagine lowering my GT3 any lower than its stock height. I'm already having a hard time backing out of my driveway.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Snacks has a spectacular aura aboutSnacks has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mikymu
The only draw back is that it won't save you from the mother of all scrapes lol

Does anyone else has other method to protect the front spoiler lip?
How much are those lips to replace?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Snacks
about $250 .....

Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
$250 vs $7 for the door guard...........hmmmm?

Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 PM
MNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really nice
3M makes an abrasion resistant film that is used on helicopter blades and nose cones for military and commercial airplanes. It increases the life of a helicopter blade by over 1,000 times. This is NOT the 3M protective film for the front of your car. This film is really expensive, but I have seen grinders try to abrade it without success. See this link. It is called PPT film.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...G=Search&co=cc

Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Gofishracing is infamous around these parts
aircraftspruce.com A whole parallel world.!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:31 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
will this work on the 997TT lips? i just purchased a new one to replace the mangled up one on my car and noticed the edge is straight, but curves in at a 90 angle. any tips or should I just use the guerrilla tape method?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
You definitely have to go sideway when you drive out of Premier's driveway. Did you have the whole front end done? What's next? GT2 seats?
Yea, I scraped mine coming out of Premier's driveway too. I have gotten a lot better at negotiating driveways now thanks to some tips from Alex@SharkWerks.

Originally Posted by Snacks
The 997TT lips are about $125 shipped from Suncoast Porsche and I had two painted for $80 or $100.

Last edited by sparkhill; 02-13-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
will this work on the 997TT lips? i just purchased a new one to replace the mangled up one on my car and noticed the edge is straight, but curves in at a 90 angle. any tips or should I just use the guerrilla tape method?
The door edge molding can be easily bend and you may have to trim off the inner portion of the door molding to allow for sharp bend. ultimately you can just cut the door molding in two to by-pass the 90 degree bend

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front spoiler lip protection