Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Windshield chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 AM
gt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to behold
Windshield chips

I am new to the world of Porsche having converted from the dark side of the BMW M3 club.

Got myself a 997 GT3 and had my first track day earlier this month. I now have a problem - I am addicted. Another problem is that my car is a daily driver and after the track day, my windshield and lights look like someone has taken a machine gun to them - there are loads of stone chips everywhere.

Any recommendations from your experience on any products which can stop or minimize the carnage? Will plastic film help at all? Or is the windshield just another disposable on the GT3's.

Seasons greetings to all

Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Nice to have met you finally on that track day!

These windshields are far too soft! I have seen some sort of film made to go on top of the windshield but can't remember who made a post about it.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
soft windshields?

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 AM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
http://www.protint.com/auto.php

Buddy of mine uses it and says it is great.
I bought it for both of my cars but it has not been installed yet.

Check it out.

Best,
Pete

Old 12-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
yeah just get a clear bra for your bumper and headlights. thats what most of us have. also, you can get the clear bra for your windshield too

Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
There's actually a window tint that you can put on the outside of the windshield instead of the inside and that can prevent rock chips.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:33 PM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
Another option is taping everything off, which is a complete hassle but an option.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:30 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
They have clear bras for windshields, my tint guy did mine when I had my windows tinted. It already saved my wind shield from cracking when a rock hit it TWICE at 50mph, it just left 2 small nicks on the film. Not to mention the countless tiny little rock chips I would've gotten without it.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:56 AM
HTP
HTP is infamous around these parts
The company that makes the windshield film is ProLine out of California. I have been looking at adding their film to my clear bra/vinyl graphics business but I have some concerns. One is liability. Some people have claimed to have had blurred vision and head aches from the film... while others have had no issues what so ever. If someone has a wreck and blames it on their vison, guess who is liable? Me, not Proline who makes you sign a liability waiver to become a dealer/installer. Second I am concerned about durrability. I have not seen any conclusive testing that shows me it is durable enough to go on windshields. Once the bugs start getting on it and windshield wipers are run, how long will it last??? If it starts to scratch or scuff up there will be some obvious vision problems to the driver... not good. And Proline builds their price up in the original install price so that when they replace it under their 2 year/24,000 mile warranty, they cover additional film. But they do not cover my labor for re-installing the film.

So if your willing to give it a shot please keep us posted on the results. There are installers out there currently aplying this film so you should be able to find someone to put it on. I have also seen the training on this process and it really isnt that difficult. Just time consuming.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Thom

Old 12-25-2008, 07:57 AM
HTP
HTP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by McDBrendan
Another option is taping everything off, which is a complete hassle but an option.
How would you tape off a windshield and still be able to drive?

I am sure you weant the front bumper/lights... so just kidding with you.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:56 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
There is a type of thick multi-layer windshield protection that can be applied to your car's windshield. I have it on my GT3, it's called a 4 ply windshield tear-off. Once the top layer of protection gets too pitted and damaged, all you do is peel it away, and you still have a fresh, clean, and protected surface beneath it. When you get down to your bottom layer of protection, you just apply a new 4 ply stack.

It's really a cool product. On my last track car, I had no windshield protection and ended up with thousands of tiny pits and cracks in my windshield.

Below is a picture of my GT3's windshield:

I'd also recommend having a clear protection like X-pel applied to your front headlights as you wouldn't want to have to replace one if a rock breaks the lens.

Dan

Last edited by docdan; 12-25-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 AM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
How would you tape off a windshield and still be able to drive?

I am sure you weant the front bumper/lights... so just kidding with you.
Haha, yes this is what I meant. A taped up windshield would be no bueno.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:05 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
My windshield is all pitted also. The rest of the front of the car has the clear bra.
Anyone know what a replcement windshield costs? Any aftremarket ones with the antenna built in?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
This is what I am going to use this year I have some small chips which my auto insurance will cover and fix for free, then I am going to cover it
http://shop.protint.com/category.sc;...?categoryId=12

Old 12-26-2008, 12:07 AM
gt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to behold
Can the tear-off products be installed by anyone or do you need professional install

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield chips