Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Has anyone changed the fluid in 997-3 LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:15 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Has anyone changed the fluid in 997-3 LSD

I am trying to change theLSD fluid in my 997-3. the bottom drain bolt is a 10mm hex(first pic). My problem is getting the filler plug off. The fill plug, is on the passenger side of the car, (pic 2) and a 9mm fits almost but will not seat in. 8mm is to small. I am afraid to jump on it and strip it out.
Questions
1) did you find the fill plug on passenger side
2) what did you use to on it
3) was it different than the drain plug

Attached Images   
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
I haven't changed it yet I'm afraid. Hope someone has and offers his insight into it.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
transmission oil change

How often are you supposed to change it?

I thought the service life for the transmission oil was in the tens of thousands of miles.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
I have changed mine, but mine is a 996-3. My filler plug was between the transmission cooler and trans. I believe you're trying to get off the wrong plug. Maybe someone that has a workshop manual laying around can chime in?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:38 AM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fortyounce
I have changed mine, but mine is a 996-3. My filler plug was between the transmission cooler and trans. I believe you're trying to get off the wrong plug. Maybe someone that has a workshop manual laying around can chime in?
Was yours on the drivers side or passenger side. Did it look like the drain plug, size a little bigger than a quarter? Did it have a recessed Hex?

Originally Posted by Jgalt
How often are you supposed to change it?

I thought the service life for the transmission oil was in the tens of thousands of miles.
You should chance it at least every season if you track the car, its not only the transmission it the LSD which gets hot during track days. the LSD will not last for ever it has friction disks that get a workout on the track.

I still need help???

Last edited by toadinlaw; 12-28-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Ok i screwed up. I was on the wrong side of the case. the fill plug is on the Driver side forward of the drain plug right next to a heat exchanger hardly no room to work. I will take pics and do a DIY shortly.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
Yup. Driver side. I used an allen key with a pipe for added leverage. It's a real pain in the ***.