Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

best place for shaved Toyo R888?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Michelin pilot sports cup vs Toyo R888

for those of you that ran both Michelin pilot sports cup and Toyo R888 on track. what is the difference and which one do you prefer (excluding cost)

Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Michelins die very fast dont last much (border dies), R888 last like hell and can take a beating, similar fast, Hoosier kills them both talking about which is fastest

Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by contigo
Michelins die very fast dont last much (border dies), R888 last like hell and can take a beating, similar fast, Hoosier kills them both talking about which is fastest
other than longevity. does R888 and cup tires perform the same on track?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
other than longevity. does R888 and cup tires perform the same on track?
IMHO MPSC are better excluding longevity and cost.

as a side note, although it does not bother me, the Toyos transmit a lot of road noise into the cabin... A LOT... not a concern of mine but just so you are aware

I bought Toyos because MPSC were on back order when I needed them and the guys running Toyos were happy with them... added bonus was that they were less money and reportedly they last longer...

If I am cooking, I get 3-4 days out of a set of tires maybe 5... I have two days on my Toyos and it looks like they might go past 5 days. This includes driving one hour each way to and from the track.

If cost, availability, and durability are equal -- I take the MPSC everytime.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by PJS
IMHO MPSC are better excluding longevity and cost.

as a side note, although it does not bother me, the Toyos transmit a lot of road noise into the cabin... A LOT... not a concern of mine but just so you are aware

I bought Toyos because MPSC were on back order when I needed them and the guys running Toyos were happy with them... added bonus was that they were less money and reportedly they last longer...

If I am cooking, I get 3-4 days out of a set of tires maybe 5... I have two days on my Toyos and it looks like they might go past 5 days. This includes driving one hour each way to and from the track.

If cost, availability, and durability are equal -- I take the MPSC everytime.
interesting - that was the information i was looking for. thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
interesting - that was the information i was looking for. thanks!
no problem -- not the Porsche OEM MPSC that comes on the car from the factory though from what I have read...

go to rennlist and search the 996 GT3 and the 997 GT3 forums as there is literally 100s of pages on this very subject.

Hoosiers>>>>>>>MPSC>Toyo etc... is the summary essentially...

The MPSC are only marginally better in my experience and since I am not DEing for money/umbrella girls, I factor in cost and longevity...

If they are close in price, I would take the cups... and I am not kidding about road noise on the Toyos.

You will not be dissapointed with the MPSC... if you are... then Hoosiers are your only choice IMHO

Good Luck

Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
marcsanz is infamous around these parts
Noticed you were in CA. You could also get them from AIM

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
no problem -- not the Porsche OEM MPSC that comes on the car from the factory though from what I have read...

go to rennlist and search the 996 GT3 and the 997 GT3 forums as there is literally 100s of pages on this very subject.

Hoosiers>>>>>>>MPSC>Toyo etc... is the summary essentially...

The MPSC are only marginally better in my experience and since I am not DEing for money/umbrella girls, I factor in cost and longevity...

If they are close in price, I would take the cups... and I am not kidding about road noise on the Toyos.

You will not be dissapointed with the MPSC... if you are... then Hoosiers are your only choice IMHO

Good Luck
IMO, people are basing their opinions off feel between the Michelins and Toyo's, they didn't even mention which was faster, and those who did from what I read said Toyo's were..

On my GT2, Pilot Cups were scary, it gives you no leeway or warning of traction loss, the Toyo's feel a bit softer but you get use to the feel of it, and the grip is just astronomical.. Michelin's def. feel a little better cornering and steering response wise, but you just have to compensate a little with the toyo's!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Treadepot.com is another good option, but on the East coast...

Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Traditionally the Toyo is a better option for audible input, the R888 as well as the RA1 both give a very audible alert that they are approaching their adhesion limits. Which is helpful to advanced and casual racers alike.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
IMO, people are basing their opinions off feel between the Michelins and Toyo's, they didn't even mention which was faster, and those who did from what I read said Toyo's were..

On my GT2, Pilot Cups were scary, it gives you no leeway or warning of traction loss, the Toyo's feel a bit softer but you get use to the feel of it, and the grip is just astronomical.. Michelin's def. feel a little better cornering and steering response wise, but you just have to compensate a little with the toyo's!
yikes .... i like tire that talks back before loosing adhesion. i have a set of MPSC coming and will try them out on track. will do R888 next and i will be ready for tire noise since i am running Yoko ADVAN A048 on my M3

Last edited by mikymu; 01-07-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
PJS
[quote=iLLM3;2203906]IMO, people are basing their opinions off feel between the Michelins and Toyo's, they didn't even mention which was faster, and those who did from what I read said Toyo's were..quote]

ill is right... mine was based on feel only... like sex... I stick with what feels better... even if it not "actually" better according to the nerds/engineers...
(I would have a different outlook if I was actually racing for a paycheck... then lap times>feel)

I am really splitting hairs though... they are both very good... and if the Toyos prove to last longer, I will keep buying them...

plus all the road noise really encourages me to not get lazy and drive around on my track tires...

You cannot go wrong either way IMHO

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by marcsanz
Traditionally the Toyo is a better option for audible input, the R888 as well as the RA1 both give a very audible alert that they are approaching their adhesion limits. Which is helpful to advanced and casual racers alike.
Agreed!!

yikes .... i like tires like talk back before loosing adhesion. i have a set of MPSC coming and will try them out on track. will do R888 next and i will be ready for tire noise since i am running Yoko ADVAN A048 on my M3
Exactly, try it out, what's the worst that will happen if you don't like them, just sell them!

[quote=PJS;2204237]
Originally Posted by iLLM3
IMO, people are basing their opinions off feel between the Michelins and Toyo's, they didn't even mention which was faster, and those who did from what I read said Toyo's were..quote]

ill is right... mine was based on feel only... like sex... I stick with what feels better... even if it not "actually" better according to the nerds/engineers...
(I would have a different outlook if I was actually racing for a paycheck... then lap times>feel)

I am really splitting hairs though... they are both very good... and if the Toyos prove to last longer, I will keep buying them...

plus all the road noise really encourages me to not get lazy and drive around on my track tires...

You cannot go wrong either way IMHO
YUP, I myself found great feel after messing with the pressures, and to be honest this could be because I went 40 series sidewall which is a little too tall IMO for my taste, people are running 35 sidewall and say its MUCH BETTER. So that was just my opinion, they work great, and last LONG!

Another option, that last just as long, even longer and grip to the cords? Nitto NT01, R888 comparable with better feel I have heard. They just don't make 335 rear for me

Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
illm3, you hit the nail on the head with pressures. 95% of R888 users who have been dissatisfied have been running tire pressures that are to low for the tire. Even though the tire has a extremely stiff sidewall construction it likes to be run at higher inflation pressures than most. Consequently, most internet complaints come from past RA1 users who are trying to use the setup formula that worked with the RA1 on the R888, when in reality even though they are both Toyo products they are apples and oranges in the real world. Gotta love the internet machine and its 100% accurate information. As I mentioned in a prior post, I am just happy that they released a 265/30/19...now the 19" 997 crowd can run a bit wider front to get rid of some understeer.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by marcsanz
illm3, you hit the nail on the head with pressures. 95% of R888 users who have been dissatisfied have been running tire pressures that are to low for the tire. Even though the tire has a extremely stiff sidewall construction it likes to be run at higher inflation pressures than most. Consequently, most internet complaints come from past RA1 users who are trying to use the setup formula that worked with the RA1 on the R888, when in reality even though they are both Toyo products they are apples and oranges in the real world. Gotta love the internet machine and its 100% accurate information. As I mentioned in a prior post, I am just happy that they released a 265/30/19...now the 19" 997 crowd can run a bit wider front to get rid of some understeer.
Yup, I had RA1's too and was a bit frustrated at first, but then I dialed it in nicely, new on full tread though they are quite scary until they degrease and heat cycle in!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best place for shaved Toyo R888?