Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

best place for shaved Toyo R888?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
doccao is infamous around these parts
When I transitioned over to RA1's/ then R888s, my initial thoughts was "this is like cheating on lap times." Guys with Hoosiers claim that they are even 50% better than Toyos.

R888s grip so good, I found myself less on the brakes and more on the gas. Again, it''s like cheating but everyone's doing it.

In NorCal, one of my patient is the regional sales manager for Toyo Tires. PM me if you want his info.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doccao
When I transitioned over to RA1's/ then R888s, my initial thoughts was "this is like cheating on lap times." Guys with Hoosiers claim that they are even 50% better than Toyos.

R888s grip so good, I found myself less on the brakes and more on the gas. Again, it''s like cheating but everyone's doing it.

In NorCal, one of my patient is the regional sales manager for Toyo Tires. PM me if you want his info.
I swear to you, the speeds I was carrying out in my GT2, and being on full throttle powering out of tight corners with back end planted was mind boggling... They are SICK!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
Just keep in mind that the R888's run a little wider than the RA1's. I made the switch and ended up rubbing with the R888's when the RA1's were just fine (same size). Now I'm stuck with a pair of very lightly used 275/35/18 R888's

Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
toyosonly@yahoo.com
E-mail Address(es):
toyosonly@yahoo.com
Try Bryan Shackelford at Toyos only.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I swear to you, the speeds I was carrying out in my GT2, and being on full throttle powering out of tight corners with back end planted was mind boggling... They are SICK!
ILL- I'm glad to see you kept your Ruf tt. Last time I posted here, you had about 10K posts and 100 rep pts. I see you've been busy. Surprised they haven't made you a moderator yet.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Doc you will laugh, but this past year plus I hardly posted on the 6, and those reps were all from years ago when the rep system was around haha, it came back and well it's mostly all old reps! I hardly have much time to post now a days unless it's late night or in the few minutes free troughout the day on my phone :/

And yea, my gt2 is staying put for a long time!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Same here...my post count practically stopped after I got done modding my tt. Now that she gone, I only come on here lurking around (and only recognize a few of the older 6ers onboard). After modding cars for so long, I find that tracking them is the real reward. You're constantly learning the limits of the car - and tires play a big part!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doccao

so R888 >> RA1 right? i will PM you when i am ready for a set of toyo. what medicine do you practice?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mikymu
so R888 >> RA1 right? i will PM you when i am ready for a set of toyo. what medicine do you practice?
I always found it odd that its called "practice"

Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by mikymu
Check out the Nitto NT01 as well!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
just wondering if you tried www.aimtires.com ? They're sorta local to the bay area and that's where I get my toyos from

Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM
marcsanz is infamous around these parts
Good to see we still think alike Alex!

Originally Posted by marcsanz
Noticed you were in CA. You could also get them from AIM
How far are they from you?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by iLLM3
What size tires are you running? Are you on stock wheels? Did you have any rubbing issues?

I have a Ruf 590 GT2 also and am struggling for grip on track, I just cannot give it full power until the car is fairly straight when coming out of corners. I'm running Pirelli Corsas in stock size, but they are a few years old so probably 'gone off'. I'm looking at moving to Toyos as they are cheap and make a 335 rear. I'd love to run Hoosiers, but they are not road legal here in the UK.

thks

Guy

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Guy
What size tires are you running? Are you on stock wheels? Did you have any rubbing issues?

I have a Ruf 590 GT2 also and am struggling for grip on track, I just cannot give it full power until the car is fairly straight when coming out of corners. I'm running Pirelli Corsas in stock size, but they are a few years old so probably 'gone off'. I'm looking at moving to Toyos as they are cheap and make a 335 rear. I'd love to run Hoosiers, but they are not road legal here in the UK.

thks

Guy
Guy, 255/335 rears, no rubbing what so ever!!! Once you get them on, and wear them in a little/heat cycle or two and degrease them just wait until you see that grip, it will boggle your mind, TRUST ME And they heat up FAST, going out on the street within a few minutes you have great grip, they are loud but I don't mind as it's the best "upgrade" for the car, because you can use all of it's capability and power!

I still spin through second in the cooler weather, but then they start warming up, they are not scary one bit and predicatble!

I'm on the RUF Modular/OZ racing wheels 12" rears..