Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

best place for shaved Toyo R888?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
best place for shaved Toyo R888?

Looking for RS OEM size Toyo R888 shaved for track. what is the best place to get a set?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I heard Vilven Tire out of Illinois is a good spot

check link below -- half way down on the right side

http://www.nasaproracing.com/news/toyo/dealer-list.html

Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
I heard Vilven Tire out of Illinois is a good spot

check link below -- half way down on the right side

http://www.nasaproracing.com/news/toyo/dealer-list.html
Thanks

i called Vilven and here is what they quoted

235/35/19 - $283 each
305/30/19 - $350 each

they charge $10 per tire shaving and about $88 shipping charge to CA from IL. this is te best price around .... here is the catch. they don't have any tire in stock since it's the end of track season. they may not order tire until later January

i will e-mail Bob at Vilven tire and see if i can get them earlier. will update in couple days

Old 12-30-2008, 02:36 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
try www.bobwoodmantires.com
Not sure if he offers shaving but he has decent pricing

If all else fails, les schwab should have them or be able to get them

I got a full set of r888 for my 6-gt3 (18s) for $1345 last summer
Again - not shaved though

Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by PJS
try www.bobwoodmantires.com
Not sure if he offers shaving but he has decent pricing

If all else fails, les schwab should have them or be able to get them

I got a full set of r888 for my 6-gt3 (18s) for $1345 last summer
Again - not shaved though
just e-mail them and will see what they have to offer

Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM
PJS
good luck!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Bob Woodman just raised his prices, This past fall I paid 340 for 305/19's and now they are 380.00. so the prices quoted above are pretty good. Maybe now that the price of oil is going down maybe they will lower the price of tires. "Right"

Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
Bob Woodman just raised his prices, This past fall I paid 340 for 305/19's and now they are 380.00. so the prices quoted above are pretty good. Maybe now that the price of oil is going down maybe they will lower the price of tires. "Right"
lol ... down turn of economy has affect everyone. it used to cost $240 per track day at Thunderhill and now it's $140 for a January run. Maybe Bob decided to lower his price to stimulate sale. the price above was quoted from his price sheet today. will let you guys know when i hear back from him tomorrow

Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 AM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mikymu
Looking for RS OEM size Toyo R888 shaved for track. what is the best place to get a set?

There is a fair amount of debate about the value of shaving the R888's. While they do tend to squirm when new at full depth tread, they get into their optimum grip zone pretty quickly. Unlike the RA1's, a couple of long threads on Rennlist about how poorly the R888's responded to shaving when they first came out. Toyo may well have tweaked the tire a bit in response to this, so more current input may well be available.

For DE purposes, I find them to be fine unshaved after a couple of sessions. For race purposes you would either have to cycle them in or shave them.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by 58spdstr
There is a fair amount of debate about the value of shaving the R888's. While they do tend to squirm when new at full depth tread, they get into their optimum grip zone pretty quickly. Unlike the RA1's, a couple of long threads on Rennlist about how poorly the R888's responded to shaving when they first came out. Toyo may well have tweaked the tire a bit in response to this, so more current input may well be available.

For DE purposes, I find them to be fine unshaved after a couple of sessions. For race purposes you would either have to cycle them in or shave them.
i am not completely sold on shaving the tire either. may try w/o. thanks for the advice

Old 12-31-2008, 02:57 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
I haven't shaved my R888's, as I am using them on the street, but I did obtain a set of shaved RA-1's from the local Les Schwab tire store. They have a shop in Oregon that does really nice tire shaving.

No affiliation

Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
They actually say don't shave the R888's, just heat cycle/wear them in after some good laps!

Hated them at full tread, but once they wore in they are awesome!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
marcsanz is infamous around these parts
R888's

You can also try Appalachian Race Tire in Knoxville. Also, just saw that Toyo offers a 265/30/19 in the R888 for anyone who wants to run wider than the 235 OE front's. Especially some of the agressive street guys.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Not really recommending the R888 for the street - at least not with a white car. Lots and lots of very fine black dust after only a few miles. Doesn't matter whether you are driving hard or not - lots of dust.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Love the R888s, tried many brands, Hoosier is the fastest but not having to change tires at the track is priceless....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best place for shaved Toyo R888?