Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Windshields - Polycarbonate >

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Rino is infamous around these parts
Windshields - Polycarbonate >

I'm tired of either fixing or changing my windshield, here the roads are full of gravel and every time I go on a road trip I brake my windshild, they said its 250 times stronger than glass. I will appreciate any comets on this, is it a direct fit? does it scrach easy? is it recommended?
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product
Thanks!

Last edited by Rino; 01-02-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Is it legal to change to something like this? Hope someone chimes in with some experience with this.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Is it legal to change to something like this? Hope someone chimes in with some experience with this.
This is a good question, I know that manufactures have to meet minimum standards that require safety glass. I would think that if your state has any type of annual inspection it would not Pass. but the more important issue would be personal safety on the road, Unless you are going to be waring your helmet all the time.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Not legal in the states for road use but more then fine for track use. I believe it has something to do with pedestrian collision but its been a while since I went through the books on it.,

Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Here's the Euro GT3 RS rear windshield replacement:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=997gt3ext

Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 PM
777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about
i think the illegality comes into play on a safety issue, if your in the car in an accident it is difficult for emergency personnel to get through the polycarbonate

Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
people, please notice that the OP and the 2nd poster are both not from the US. your conjectures about US legality are meaningless, at least to the OP. i guess it is a good question in general though, worldwide including the US.

i understand lexan scratches very easily. even the windshield wipers will scratch it. it's not practical for the street.

it is supposed to be safer and more durable for crash impacts than safety glass.

777vegasviper, you may be right but i am having a hard time believing it. whatever tools they use to remove safety glass they can use to remove the lexan. the windshield is not like a side window where they can shatter it with an impact tool. (well, they can shatter it but the glass will still be in place so that doesn't help with extrication)

Old 01-03-2009, 02:29 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
oh, another reason it is probably illegal everywhere is that big sheets (ie, windshield sized) need to be reinforced with support bars, which block your vision. look at the back window of the 430 scuderia. even that relatively small piece of lexan has support bars. then look at a nascar car and notice all the extra support bars.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:44 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
oh, another reason it is probably illegal everywhere is that big sheets (ie, windshield sized) need to be reinforced with support bars, which block your vision. look at the back window of the 430 scuderia. even that relatively small piece of lexan has support bars. then look at a nascar car and notice all the extra support bars.
That's an excellent point! My windshield is in a sorry state at the moment and I was thinking that pretty soon I should look into changing it. I don't drive it in the rain (not that it rains much here anyway) and getting it past inspection might not be as big a problem where I live but the safety aspect of installing this replacement might just deter me from doing it. I had no problem registering it with the stock Lexan rear window anyway.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:13 AM
777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
people, please notice that the OP and the 2nd poster are both not from the US. your conjectures about US legality are meaningless, at least to the OP. i guess it is a good question in general though, worldwide including the US.

i understand lexan scratches very easily. even the windshield wipers will scratch it. it's not practical for the street.

it is supposed to be safer and more durable for crash impacts than safety glass.

777vegasviper, you may be right but i am having a hard time believing it. whatever tools they use to remove safety glass they can use to remove the lexan. the windshield is not like a side window where they can shatter it with an impact tool. (well, they can shatter it but the glass will still be in place so that doesn't help with extrication)
I have Speedglass windshield and hatch glass in my '06 Viper. IT s treated to be scratch resistant (can't say i have used the windshield wipers on the car.

Lexan can't be shattered like a windshield, so it can't be removed by safety personnel like a standard windshield

Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
That's an excellent point! My windshield is in a sorry state at the moment and I was thinking that pretty soon I should look into changing it. I don't drive it in the rain (not that it rains much here anyway) and getting it past inspection might not be as big a problem where I live but the safety aspect of installing this replacement might just deter me from doing it. I had no problem registering it with the stock Lexan rear window anyway.
if you find molded lexan in the right thickness, there is no need for support bars.

had to get my car inspected when I brought it in state, they did not notice the windshield/hatch glass were speedglass (lexan)

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Several pilots of La Carrera Panamericana got killed with Poly windshields because at certain angle the sun blocks the vision and you can imagine the rest.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by luiscarlos
Several pilots of La Carrera Panamericana got killed with Poly windshields because at certain angle the sun blocks the vision and you can imagine the rest.
That wraps it up for me then! Better off with the stock windsheild.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
gt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to behold
Khalid

Once you get your new windscreen, pop down to B Kool and get them to put a film on the outside to give it some protection. Speak to Nabil or Farooq who just did mine for the last track day (2nd Jan). Seemed to hold up well and will provide some protection. BD20 a pop so not too bad if you only use it once and discard, but no warrenties etc.

Geoff.

Last edited by gt3geoff; 01-04-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Geoff, thanks alot! I might consider that when I have a new windshield in place!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshields - Polycarbonate >