GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Stradales?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 04:03 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by watt
tyson a gt2 is worth 140 for a new 03 to me and 155 for an 04. i would never spend 04 gt2 window, i'd use the $ for a CS!!! markedy more value to me
But value to you is really the marginal utility of the car based on how much your typical 6 months of use will cost you. If GT2's were holding their value at the same proportion as the Stradale, obviously your willingness to pay would increase on an 04.

IF the introduction of the 430 causes Stradale values to tank below sticker, then I know your opinion of the CS' "value" would change as well.

Which is why your proposition of '03 GT2 at 140 is still the best value any way you dice it up. Simple economics lesson... oops I forgot you went to HBS... they don't study economics there, only "business cases."

Old 09-24-2004, 04:10 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
My main gripe with Ferrari is that they are so fricking hard to modify to my personal taste. Look at the aftermarket industry for the 360-- LC Racing or Novitec??? Give me a break.

And should you bust up a Ferrari at the track, the repair bill would be much higher than a GT2.

To me the ultimate car would be GT2 minus 200lbs., with 600 real horsepower, GT3-R/RS/RSR suspension parts, JRZ or Moton double or triple adjustable shocks, and BBS scalloped aluminum wheels shod with Pilot Sport Cups.

That would be FUN and would probably kill an Enzo or Carrera GT to boot!!! Basically would be a Cup car with Turbos.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:01 PM
alamein is infamous around these parts
according to many people here Ferrari = Lexus in terms of quality. lol. As if no one here has experience with Ferrari besides an entire 1000 miles in a Stradale.

now even speed and torque don't matter .. and a GT3 is overpriced ... LOL

Old 09-24-2004, 11:18 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by alamein
according to many people here Ferrari = Lexus in terms of quality. lol. As if no one here has experience with Ferrari besides an entire 1000 miles in a Stradale.
I don't think anyone is saying that at all, they're just trying to counter the misconception that Ferrari equals Land Rover in terms of quality. Frankly, we're on our 4th 360 and despite the fact that they are not high mileage cars, they're absolutely equal to Porsche in terms of reliability. When factoring build quality and quality of materials, there's no comparison at all - Ferrari blows away Porsche. Forget the argument that Ferraris cost more too. The GT2 list is higher than a 360 Modena and Spider. With Ferrari, at least you get full leather (check the sunvisors on a Porsche lately?), a thicker steering wheel, real aluminum trim including the sills, etc., etc.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:28 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ESK
despite the fact that they are not high mileage cars, they're absolutely equal to Porsche in terms of reliability.
But isn't reliability proven only with mileage? How do you prove a car with only 6000 miles is equally reliable than one with 60000 miles? Or better yet, 130000 miles like Pierre's.

If I buy a Ferrari, it's not because of reliability and longevity. No, a supermodel is not for that. It's for the looks and the thrill of the moment.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:31 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by ESK
...they're absolutely equal to Porsche in terms of reliability. "
crap, 360s have a 40% RMS failure rate?. it also sucks to know this must mean the carbon brakes are going to disentegrate too like the PCCBs.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
crap, 360s have a 40% RMS failure rate?. it also sucks to know this must mean the carbon brakes are going to disentegrate too like the PCCBs.
Besides all that.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold

ben,

as long as F doesnt decide to quit f1 and build trux, i can get by!

Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 PM
dude, you guys talk more **** than my partner who just got an Enzo ... I joke with him all the time that my Tip Chipped Turbo will take him down ... you guys are like ex STI but now EVO drivers on a Subu board ... get some class or try Ferrari Chat. IMHO

Old 09-24-2004, 11:39 PM

ben,

they built trucks when you owned Porsche too

Old 09-24-2004, 11:46 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of

ben,

Old 09-25-2004, 03:30 AM
raygr is infamous around these parts
watt & Doody - re: CS weight - I stand corrected. I found out my car was actually weighed at the speed shop - 1407 kg 3096lbs with full tank. I can only guess that F reports the weight with NO options and lexan side windows minus some fudge factor Still, it's lighter than a GT2.

Hamann7 - Re: track car - Agreed I would not recommend buying a CS as your track car. There are better, cheaper, and more mod-able cars out there. But if you have one, why not track it too? It works.

alamein - Re: Reliability - yes, most F cars have lower miles on them, but so far, the 360s have not been too bad. I wouldn't want to use my CS as a daily driver anyway. But, I will say that regular maintenance items, like brakes, fluids, etc, are VERY pricey.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:58 AM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by raygr
watt & Doody - re: CS weight - I stand corrected. I found out my car was actually weighed at the speed shop - 1407 kg 3096lbs with full tank.
Hmmm... A GT3 with PCCB is lighter...

Old 09-25-2004, 04:00 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
Ben,

I guess we've had 4 of the 6 that don't have this problem. By the way, what's Porsche's RMS failure percentage? From your post, you sound like the guy who was so jacked up on the CGT, not the 360 CS owner. With all these potential problems, why'd you buy one anyway?

If you want to talk reliability, when's the last time Schumy didn't finish a race due to mechanical failure? Sometime back in the 2002 season! I think Ferrari knows how to build reliable cars, even more so now that Jean Todt is running both the automobile side and the F1 side.

Everyone's always talking about what it costs to maintain these things. At least when I buy one, I don't have to go spend another $3k for an exhaust so it sounds good. Besides, I probably won't have it long enough to worry about it anyway. I just passed 1,500 miles - time to trade! As far as performance, I'll sacrifice the torque from a TT with the sound of a 360 at 8,500 RPMS anytime!

Eric

Old 09-25-2004, 05:50 AM
dwishen is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ESK
Ben,

I guess we've had 4 of the 6 that don't have this problem. By the way, what's Porsche's RMS failure percentage? From your post, you sound like the guy who was so jacked up on the CGT, not the 360 CS owner. With all these potential problems, why'd you buy one anyway?

Eric
I think he was being sarcastic and referring to the problem that plagues the 996's.

David

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stradales?