Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RS Suspension available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:09 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Larry Herman
The standard GT3 suspension can be adjusted for camber, caster, toe, ride height and 4 sway bar settings, front & rear. How much more is there?
Good call Larry !!! It's not like the RS shocks have adjustable dampening like motons...

Last edited by rockitman; 09-30-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
You guys are completely missing the point.

What about suspension mounting points, geometry, and range of adjustability?

For example, the RS uprights are quite different than the normal GT3 ones...

The GT3-RS has been driven to a 7:43.5 with only 380hp. What does that say about the handling???

Old 09-30-2004, 12:17 AM
dwishen is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Hamann7

What about suspension mounting points, geometry, and range of adjustability?

For example, the RS uprights are quite different than the normal GT3 ones...

The GT3-RS has been driven to a 7:43.5 with only 380hp. What does that say about the handling???
Exactly.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:47 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not...I realize the RS suspension geometry is superior to stock GT3's...Not sure if it's a worthwhile investment for a car used the majority of the time on the road...but then again....

Old 09-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Larry Herman is infamous around these parts
Tyson, I wasn't missing the point either. I agree that the suspension has a better race oriented geometry, and works better. I just questioned wether or not it had more adjustments than a standard GT3 (which it doesn't).

Old 09-30-2004, 12:58 AM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by JASCLASS
The stock setup provides that just fine.
I was obviously trying to make a point. Hell, my WRX with stock suspension provides that just fine.

Originally posted by rockitman
I'm not...I realize the RS suspension geometry is superior to stock GT3's...Not sure if it's a worthwhile investment for a car used the majority of the time on the road...but then again....
Better investment than a CF wing...

Last edited by MetalSolid; 09-30-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:40 AM
dwishen is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Larry Herman
Tyson, I wasn't missing the point either. I agree that the suspension has a better race oriented geometry, and works better. I just questioned wether or not it had more adjustments than a standard GT3 (which it doesn't).
Larry,

Are you sure about this? I realize you own a GT3 (I'm not yet a P-car owner) and undoubtedly know a lot about your car and the marque, but I seem to recall that because of the different geometry, more suspension adjustment is possible. Is this incorrect (it would seem to make sense)? I'm not trying to get into a battle with an owner, just trying to provide help/additional information where I can, as well as increase my knowledge.

By the way, awesome car.

David

Old 09-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Larry Herman is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by DMW
Larry,

Are you sure about this? I realize you own a GT3 (I'm not yet a P-car owner) and undoubtedly know a lot about your car and the marque, but I seem to recall that because of the different geometry, more suspension adjustment is possible. Is this incorrect (it would seem to make sense)? I'm not trying to get into a battle with an owner, just trying to provide help/additional information where I can, as well as increase my knowledge.

By the way, awesome car.

David
No offense taken. I think that multiple terms are being flung around in this thread, and there is some confusion.

The geometry of the suspension, that being the angles of the control arms, and other members in relation to each other that determine the arc, camber and toe of the wheels as the suspension goes through it's range of motion is set by their pivot and attachment points.

The adjustabilty of the suspension, that being the range of static settings for camber, caster, toe and ride height are separate items and usually determined by the method of adjustment and the amount of movement allowed by their design (i.e. the length of the slots for moving the strut tops, the size of the eccentric bolts for setting the toe and rear camber, etc.)

So an RS can have better geometry, whilst having the exact same amount of adjustability in it's suspension. I couldn't tell you that for certain unless I had them on lifts, side by side.

Old 09-30-2004, 03:26 AM
DCLEE is infamous around these parts
RS suspension

A pro suspension (JRZ doubles, special valving, custom swaybars, Cup drop links) would run almost exactly the same as the factory RS kit and would offer vastly more adjustability. The RS apparently has different (I assume Cupcar) front uprights and links, supposedly to reduce bump-steer because of the lower ride height.

Does anyone know the actual spring rates on the GT3 vs. the RS? Someone told me the U.S. GT3s run 250/290 lbs., which is astonishingly low-- I started with 600-700 on my 993 RS and wound up with 900/1,000, and the 993 Cups go much higher!

Anyway, back to the GT3... if the spring rates are really that benign (someone correct me with actual data, please), I would be inclined to go significantly stiffer for a club-race car. For the street and occasional DEs, stay with stock and save your money.

If anyone has detailed technical data on the GT3 RS, please IM me--been looking for it.

Lee in D.C.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by MetalSolid

Better investment than a CF wing...
Damn Noel, you are a bad influence!!!

Last edited by rockitman; 09-30-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:07 AM
Porsche Fiend
Re: RS suspension

Originally posted by DCLEE
A pro suspension (JRZ doubles, special valving, custom swaybars, Cup drop links) would run almost exactly the same as the factory RS kit and would offer vastly more adjustability. The RS apparently has different (I assume Cupcar) front uprights and links, supposedly to reduce bump-steer because of the lower ride height.
What do you mean by "run almost exactly the same"?

Why wouldn't you put in JRZ doubles WITH the RS uprights and control arms??? It's not one or the other... if you want best results, you do BOTH.

I'm even thinking of fitting these parts in my GT2.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:18 AM
I wonder if the mounting points for the control arms, ect to the chassis are the same??? I would expect the different Geometry might require some hole drilling/measuring???

Old 09-30-2004, 06:40 AM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
The GT3-RS has been driven to a 7:43.5 with only 380hp. What does that say about the handling??? [/B][/QUOTE]

It says it handles well on that track.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:47 AM
Porsche Fiend
It means it handles well, period.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:56 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Motons are shocks. A suspension setup comprises of much more than shocks. Gert's retrofit has 48 factory pieces to it.

Obviously the RS suspension retrofit with Motons would be a superior solution, but a stock GT3 suspension with Moton may not be enough to make it better than a GT3-RS;

Yes, in the canyons, this will make you faster in and faster out while staying in your lane, and even faster in/out should you be ballsy enough to use both lanes!!!

This is probably the best upgrade for the GT3 yet.

ahh, I thought the Motons were a full coilover setup

does the RS have different sways, struts, etc?

edit: read through the thread more and figured out some of the differences. Thanks for the info guys

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 09-30-2004 at 07:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Suspension available