Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.2 GT3 at Geneva

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You think Porsche would be dumb enough to print that their new GT3 was slower than the old one.

I don't know the conditions but sport auto got these times.

7:47 --- 158.801 km/h -- Porsche 996 GT3 RS, 381 PS (sport auto 03/04)
7:48 --- 158.463 km/h -- Porsche 997 GT3, 415 PS/1440kg (sport auto 07/06)

Regardless, the point of what I'm saying is not that the 996 RS is faster, just that it's a much bigger improvement and much more radical change from the base 996 GT3 than is the 997 RS over the 997 GT3. Of course, making a watered down version of an RS to sell in the US was a brilliant move, right on par with the lamboghini's of the world. Add some exotic colors and bling and make a new name for it and it will sell.

I think the RS is a great car, I don't think it's worthy of the name GT3 RS though, at least not IMO compared to how the GT3 RS was birthed.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Sounds like a bunch of fluff to me and still is nothing near the changes that went into the 996 RS from that GT3 model.

What is there no comparison in? The RS looks better, but what else can it really do better? The 996 RS was definitively meant for the track. PERIOD. The 997 RS is a GT3 with little tweaks and lots of bling. The 996 was little bling and lots of tweaks.
Trust me, Porsche isn't worried about if you think the RS isn't better than the standard GT3. They are busy making guys like Pat Long faster. Every person who races a Cup-S or RSR KNOWS the RS is just a little bit faster and better in every way when it comes to the track.

I think technology is what has allowed the RS to be both hardcore and more civil at the same time.

A refresher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tT3n2yzEa4

Last edited by Mvez; 03-06-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mvez
Trust me, Porsche isn't worried about if you think the RS isn't better than the standard GT3. They are busy making guys like Pat Long faster. Every person who races a Cup-S or RSR KNOWS the RS is just a little bit faster and better in every way when it comes to the track.

I think technology is what has allowed the RS to be both hardcore and more civil at the same time.

A refresher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tT3n2yzEa4
This is a bunch of jibberish, what does a comparison with the GT3 and RS have to do with Rolex and ALMS? How does every person know anything of the sort? In fact you'd have to be one of those guys to get anything out of the improvements in the 997 RS from the base GT3. Even from Porsces own testing the 3 second on the ring would amount to about .5 on a 2.5 mile road course. And that's with a pro driving, the average joe couldn't tell any difference. It may feel just a little better, but that's all it is, just a tiny bit better.

As far as marketing and sales the RS is what it needed to be to get some cars sold and create an uproar selling over MSRP etc. but a lot of that is because of the fuss about us not getting the 996 RS here in the states and all the immitations that were being made. Porsche capitalized on it. Yay Porsche, but you're drinking the kool-aid if you think the 997 RS is even in the same family as the 996 in terms of improvement over the base GT3.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Originally Posted by Andrew M3/M5
very nice would love to see some interior pics
Some pics here.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ze_shark
Some pics here.
nice pics jc.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
This is a bunch of jibberish, what does a comparison with the GT3 and RS have to do with Rolex and ALMS? How does every person know anything of the sort? In fact you'd have to be one of those guys to get anything out of the improvements in the 997 RS from the base GT3. Even from Porsces own testing the 3 second on the ring would amount to about .5 on a 2.5 mile road course. And that's with a pro driving, the average joe couldn't tell any difference. It may feel just a little better, but that's all it is, just a tiny bit better.

As far as marketing and sales the RS is what it needed to be to get some cars sold and create an uproar selling over MSRP etc. but a lot of that is because of the fuss about us not getting the 996 RS here in the states and all the immitations that were being made. Porsche capitalized on it. Yay Porsche, but you're drinking the kool-aid if you think the 997 RS is even in the same family as the 996 in terms of improvement over the base GT3.
You've stated my point exactly, the RS is a homologation car made BECAUSE Porsche needs/wants those improvements for the track for racers to exploit. Without the RS, they couldn't use the improved race cars. So to all of us, the differences are pretty small, but to pros, a .5 second is an eternity, much less a couple tenths. The RS is not about marketing, its about homologation......

Your point of comparing a Euro-only 996RS's improvements over a base 6GT3 to that of a U.S./worldwide approved 997RS's improvements over a 7GT3 is what's jibberish. Seriously. Regardless, I think it's the standard 997 GT3 that's gotten considerably better and shrunken the gap between itself and the RS model.

I respect your opinion, I just don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Again, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

I think the new GT3.2, or whatever you choose to call it, looks like the typical incremental and nice upgrade from Porsche.

As for the RS, I have bought 2 (traded in one), because I like the wider rear track. However, I paid between $130- 150K for them, one new and one with few miles. So that was is in the GT3 price range.

If you really want a great car for the track, buy a %#@ Cup Car - you can get great deals on 996 cups these days. Don't believe that an RS or any other Porsche street car is going to stand up to a dedicated Porsche track car.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mvez
You've stated my point exactly, the RS is a homologation car made BECAUSE Porsche needs/wants those improvements for the track for racers to exploit. Without the RS, they couldn't use the improved race cars. So to all of us, the differences are pretty small, but to pros, a .5 second is an eternity, much less a couple tenths. The RS is not about marketing, its about homologation......

Your point of comparing a Euro-only 996RS's improvements over a base 6GT3 to that of a U.S./worldwide approved 997RS's improvements over a 7GT3 is what's jibberish. Seriously. Regardless, I think it's the standard 997 GT3 that's gotten considerably better and shrunken the gap between itself and the RS model.

I respect your opinion, I just don't understand the point you are trying to make.
.5 means nothing to 99.9% of RS drivers who drive them on the track. I have yet to hear of one RS being driven in a club race. The RS is exactly what you said, a homologation special and doesn't carry the same meaning as the 996 RS did is all I'm saying. The concepts behind the two are completely different. The 996 RS was made to race on the track, the 997 RS was made to improve the cars that do race on the track while not actually racing itself. And IMO since the 996 RS was the original (for a GT3, not all 911's), it set the precedence for what an RS should be, and the 997 RS is not in that same mold. Still a GT3, but not the same meaning of RS as we were initially subjected to.

The RS imo is supposed to be the closest thing to the cup car that you can drive on the street. But it's really barely more than a GT3, which is already plush and gained a ton of weight over the 996 GT3.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Andrew M3/M5 is infamous around these parts
Thanks

Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 AM
ir_fuel is infamous around these parts
Some pics my friend took when we visited the Porsche stand @ Geneva to check out what I have ordered

Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Not a big fan of the wheel.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 AM
revio is infamous around these parts

Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 AM
They removed the front lip on the white one?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
And what color blue is the blue one?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I like the new 3 a lot, not crazy about the wing. Is this the new DI engine?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 at Geneva