GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

HANS-specific harnesses, anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
HANS-specific harnesses, anyone?

I'm getting ready to install seats, rollbar and harnesses. Will be getting new helmet and HANS device. I'm wondering if the newer HANS-specific harnesses are worth considering, rather than the traditional 3" harnesses. Anyone have any experience, thoughts?

TIA

Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the Hans specific harnesses give you a lot more peace of mind since they fit into the grooves in the Hans device and make it easier to get ready for your sessions (you still have to be carefull with the quik release tethers if you have them)...I find them much easier to use (and they are probably safer) than the regular 3" shoulder belts

Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Not one Pro driver uses Hans-specific harnesses. All use 3" belts.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
that's not true...they all use 3" lap belts because it spreads the forces in a crash but many use Hans specific shoulder belts...btw..they are only smaller than 3 inches where they run over the Hans device they are 3 inches on your chest...

Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Someone told me over 2 years ago they saw Jim Downing at Sebring with 3" straps over his HANS. He is one of the co-inventors/developers of the device.

That influenced my decision to order the 6-point harnesses with 3" straps everywhere. If cinched down properly over the HANS lips, they don't try to slip off. The groove in the uppermost part is over 2 1/2" wide with an angled lip that is over 3/8" tall. That is what keeps the 3" strap securely in place.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by c2mojo
Not one Pro driver uses Hans-specific harnesses. All use 3" belts.
pro rules probably disallow 2" belts.

i like the 2" belts a lot.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Any harm in running a hans harness without the hans device? Long story short, I have a hans harness but haven't taken the plunge to get a device yet.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator
this is the one I'm talking about...Hans specific with 3" lap belts and 3" sternum belt that goes down to 2" for Hans...Scroth Profil III 6H

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Any harm in running a hans harness without the hans device? Long story short, I have a hans harness but haven't taken the plunge to get a device yet.
the 2" belts on your shoulders could cause you a problem in a crash due to forces not being as spread as they would be with a 3" belt or a Han device...take the plunge Dog...cheap insurance...

Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
this is the one I'm talking about...Hans specific with 3" lap belts and 3" sternum belt that goes down to 2" for Hans...Scroth Profil III 6H
Kind of like what I have.

Last edited by deputydog95; 03-26-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator
exactly what you have

Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
VSE is correct in the strap choice.

however, if you DONT have hand, DO NOT use hans belt, they wont work right.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 AM
hbennett is infamous around these parts
I was directed to this forum to try to help and answer questions.

1. You can use either SFI or FIA harnesses with the HANS Device. We do not recommend one over the other. They both work well. I will say we test specifically with 3" SFI certified harnesses.

2. If you are using the advertised HANS specific 2" shoulder straps because the straps sits flat in the channel on top of the device, your shoulder straps are probably not mounted properly (per harness manufacturers instructions). That can become an issue with some "race" seats. In any case, the seat should not interfere with the should straps.

3. In most rulebooks, you can not use the 2" shoulder straps without a HANS Device. 2" lap belts are usually allowed because of a better fit across the pelvis.

4. The quick release tethers can be an issue if they are left too long. They can work their way down between the driver and seat, or under the shoulder straps, and be released. The racer needs to trim the release tether to a length that is acceptable to them. With that being said, it only takes a minute or two to learn to install and remove the tether catches from the anchor almost as quickly as fumbling for the release tether (unless the racer does something like velcro tape the ends to the front of the helmet).

5. Jim Downing has used 2" shoulder straps for the past couple of years in his CSR car. Can't verify what may be installed in other cars he may drive. Most NASCAR racers use 2" shoulder straps. If you look closely at these and formula cars, the shoulder strap mount is integrated into the seat so it is mounted right behind your neck. In some of these cases, the 2" shoulder strap will practically lay flat on top of the HANS Device.

It is hard to keep track of every forum so if anyone has questions about using their HANS Device, please feel free to contact me at hbennett@hansdevice.com.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance

Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by hbennett
I was directed to this forum to try to help and answer questions.

1. You can use either SFI or FIA harnesses with the HANS Device. We do not recommend one over the other. They both work well. I will say we test specifically with 3" SFI certified harnesses.

2. If you are using the advertised HANS specific 2" shoulder straps because the straps sits flat in the channel on top of the device, your shoulder straps are probably not mounted properly (per harness manufacturers instructions). That can become an issue with some "race" seats. In any case, the seat should not interfere with the should straps.

3. In most rulebooks, you can not use the 2" shoulder straps without a HANS Device. 2" lap belts are usually allowed because of a better fit across the pelvis.

4. The quick release tethers can be an issue if they are left too long. They can work their way down between the driver and seat, or under the shoulder straps, and be released. The racer needs to trim the release tether to a length that is acceptable to them. With that being said, it only takes a minute or two to learn to install and remove the tether catches from the anchor almost as quickly as fumbling for the release tether (unless the racer does something like velcro tape the ends to the front of the helmet).

5. Jim Downing has used 2" shoulder straps for the past couple of years in his CSR car. Can't verify what may be installed in other cars he may drive. Most NASCAR racers use 2" shoulder straps. If you look closely at these and formula cars, the shoulder strap mount is integrated into the seat so it is mounted right behind your neck. In some of these cases, the 2" shoulder strap will practically lay flat on top of the HANS Device.

It is hard to keep track of every forum so if anyone has questions about using their HANS Device, please feel free to contact me at hbennett@hansdevice.com.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Well I don't mind be corrected, I just have not seen it at ALMS and PCA events here in the midwest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HANS-specific harnesses, anyone?