Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

front lift system effectiveness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
HBspeed is infamous around these parts
front lift system effectiveness?

Hey all, its my first post as I have been looking to do euro-delivery on a mkII gt3. The front lift system's percieved ability to keep a sports car's front end from scraping on my somewhat steep driveway and the other city hazards that are unavoidable has perked my interest when I had previously been warry of such issues in a street car. My concern is that the front lift option states only a 30 mm or 1.18 in. lift which to me seems potentially inadequate. Does anyone know if this stated lift height is measured from the front axle where the lift is applied, or is this figure actual rise of the front spoiler? If this height figure is measured from the front axle the front height would be raised more than 1.18 inches due to the angle, which would be reassuring. I suppose it is unlikely anyone has first hand experience at this point, but any further information on the effectiveness of this system would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
I've dealt with the system Ruf has available for there cars, and its surprising how much more clearance you do get. Don't know the exact amount that system lifted compared to Porsche's new design. It was quite some time ago I read all the info on the new GT3 so I don't recall if the system can be set to automatically lift at low speeds, that in my opinion would make it the bee's knees. I'll have to wait till the intro books get sent to the dealer to get the full scoop.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 AM
ir_fuel is infamous around these parts
If you go for a euro car, do not forget that noselift (as dynamic engine dampers) is not available until October 2009.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 AM
911rox is infamous around these parts
According to an interview with a chief designer on Drivers Republic recently, the system lifts 20mm at the axle and equates to 30-35mm at the front bar... Can maintain this for short while at speeds up to 50 km/h. Supposedly gives similar clearance to a regular 911 which would be heaps better than previous GT3s. Will it give you a scrape free drive always? No ... But it will allow you to take your car to places previously difficult to access, even if its with some scraping of the front lip...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 AM
If I recall correctly the system offered by Cargraphic lifts more.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
For me this is just one more reason that the 997.1 will be more attractive.

Yes the lift will give you alot more clearance than you think, mainly because its not so much about raising the car but angling the front upwards.

But this feature seems like a waste, the front lip is replaceable for a reason and you can literally replace it 10-15 times for the added cost of any of these suspension systems.

Also this is completely just a guess but I dont see how a suspension that supports front lift is going to be as aggressive for the track or durable.

On the TT or 997s sure, on a GT2 or GT3 this seems silly.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by raiyu
But this feature seems like a waste, the front lip is replaceable for a reason and you can literally replace it 10-15 times for the added cost of any of these suspension systems.
Ofcourse, but there are places that you simply cannot drive without completely tearing off the lip.

Also this is completely just a guess but I dont see how a suspension that supports front lift is going to be as aggressive for the track or durable.
Check the system Cargraphic sells. It's the same. It is fitted on top of the shocks. It is not integrated inside the shocks.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MPowerM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by raiyu
For me this is just one more reason that the 997.1 will be more attractive.

Yes the lift will give you alot more clearance than you think, mainly because its not so much about raising the car but angling the front upwards.

On the TT or 997s sure, on a GT2 or GT3 this seems silly.
I guess the Enzo or Gallardo is not durable then either with a similar system installed?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Is the system truly the same type as the Cargraphic lift system? If so, that means that is uses air bags and a compressor (which is noisy). I was at a CEC event two weekends ago and was told that Techart is coming out with a mechanical version of the lift which obviously wont require a compressor. Anybody hear anything about this?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HBspeed
Hey all, its my first post as I have been looking to do euro-delivery on a mkII gt3. The front lift system's percieved ability to keep a sports car's front end from scraping on my somewhat steep driveway and the other city hazards that are unavoidable has perked my interest when I had previously been warry of such issues in a street car. My concern is that the front lift option states only a 30 mm or 1.18 in. lift which to me seems potentially inadequate. Does anyone know if this stated lift height is measured from the front axle where the lift is applied, or is this figure actual rise of the front spoiler? If this height figure is measured from the front axle the front height would be raised more than 1.18 inches due to the angle, which would be reassuring. I suppose it is unlikely anyone has first hand experience at this point, but any further information on the effectiveness of this system would be greatly appreciated!
Living with a car this low you'll be surprised just how much any little bit helps. Ask any GT3/RS owner how many times they wished they had a smidgin more clearance!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I agree any bit helps, as my Z4M Coupe which I DD is pretty low as well. My sentiments are along the lines of why go through all the trouble to integrate this factory option, and not make the height rise even larger. I suppose this may be the limit that could be easily obtained without greater modification of the car's suspension or some other reason beyond my knowledge. Aftermarket overboost function anyone? Never thought i would get to say that about an NA sports car!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
While the topic was mostly aimed at prospective 2010 GT3 buyers, I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the KW or Cargraphic lift systems for the 2007-2008 models.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by MPowerM3
I guess the Enzo or Gallardo is not durable then either with a similar system installed?
Dunno about the Enzo, but if I am not mistaken the Gallardo noselift is a mechanical one, not an air-compressor based one.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by medici78
While the topic was mostly aimed at prospective 2010 GT3 buyers, I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the KW or Cargraphic lift systems for the 2007-2008 models.
I saw a guy with the kW lift system on his GT3 at the Francorchamps racetrack a couple of weeks ago, and at the speed he was flying over the racetrack he didn't seem to have any issues with it

Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting into contact with someone who would know greater specifics in regards to the geometry and effectiveness of this system. I may go as far as to measure my driveway and confirm no scraping, I can't help being **** about needing to know before I finalize a purchase! Does anyone have any suggestions for who to get into contact with, through email, phone, or whatever before I starting asking dealership personnel to steer me in the right direction towards the information?

Last edited by HBspeed; 04-08-2009 at 05:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: front lift system effectiveness?