Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RS Clubsport Roll Bar Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about

I was helping a friend on the weekend install a Porsche GT3 RS Clubsport roll bar in his US spec 2007 GT3 RS (#2373) (Full photos and installation details to follow). As it is an early production RS it has roll bar stud plates factory welded to the floor behind the seats where the front base of the roll bar attaches, bosses welded to the floor under the seats to screw in eye hooks for sub belt attachment and even stud plates welded to the floor in each of the foot wells to bolt a front roll bar extension. Installation of the Euro/ROW Clubsport roll bar itself was straight forward however we spent considerable time measuring and cutting the rear shelf carpeting and undercushioning so the bar could pass through where it bolts to the rear shock towers (see attached picture). The carpet undercushioning is difficult to cut with any precision as it consists of thick, spongy foam (up to 3" thick) and some rigid styrofoam. It occured to me that a better solution would be to order a replacement carpeted shelf piece for a ROW spec 997 GT3 RS that came with the factory Clubsport option as it should have the proper bar pass through holes already pre-cut in the carpet and foam backing? Attached is a picture of the underside of the carpeted panel from #2373 which shows a 997.551.033.00 part number. Do any 6speeders have a ROW spec RS that came factory equipped with the Clubsport option? I would appreciate the part number of the carpeted shelf panel (and pictures of the carpet cutouts if possible)? Many thanks!

Attached Images    

Last edited by Edgemontvillage; 04-13-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Mine's an ROW RS and I'll take some pictures of what the factory cutouts look like.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Mine's an ROW RS and I'll take some pictures of what the factory cutouts look like.
Khalid, thank you, I am interested in seeing the cutouts from both the top (carpet side) and underneath (foam side) the panel. I would also appreciate if you are able to get a part # from the piece.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nice work Lloyd, does the multi piece roll cage rattle at all?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Nice work Lloyd, does the multi piece roll cage rattle at all?
Ed, we went to some extra lengths to minimize the risk of creaking / squeaking such as torquing every bolt on the roll bar to the same spec and at the front and rear anchor points. We also applied some anti-friction material under the front mounting points where they meet the floor plates. We did a spirited "road test" following the installation including some off-camber and it was dead solid. It might loosen up over time however so far not a peep.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I know way to well what your spirited drives are like

Sounds like you guys did a great job, now when are you guys taking it to the track?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Zellamsee is infamous around these parts
I believe the part no for the carpet with holes is 997.551.033.90.A10 (black) . . . but perhaps someone here can confirm.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Zellamsee
I believe the part no for the carpet with holes is 997.551.033.90.A10 (black) . . . but perhaps someone here can confirm.
You might be right, I received a posting earlier with the same part # you provided so I called the guys at Suncoast Porsche (Ric) who checked the PET and he thinks its the carpet panel with the pre-cut holes for the Clubsport roll bar tube pass through. I ordered one and was told they will have it before the end of the week. I'm hoping its the right one. Thanks for your help! I'll post an update.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Found!

Suncoast (Ric) sent me this picture of 997.551.033.90.A10, its a winner! If you are planning a Clubsport roll bar installation you need this replacment shelf, it will save you lots of time and grief. Thanks also to Zellamsee for his lead on the part #.

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Tommy Carrera is infamous around these parts

Do you guys think this carpet piece might work for a Das Sport rollbar installation in a 996? (I know...blasphemy putting a GT3 part in a lowly C2.)

Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Great -- glad it worked out!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tommy Carrera
Do you guys think this carpet piece might work for a Das Sport rollbar installation in a 996? (I know...blasphemy putting a GT3 part in a lowly C2.)
Nothing wrong with a roll bar in a C2 so long as it's for track service! The RS carpet shelf is not compatible with the DAS bar. Although both the DAS and Porsche Clubsport bars use the shock towers as their rear mounting points the Porsche bar has a single bar pass through on the right side and an intersecting bar on the drivers side as indicated by the elongated cutout. I'd check with DAS, maybe they can provide you a cutout template?

Last edited by Edgemontvillage; 04-17-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Tommy Carrera is infamous around these parts
Excellent idea! I am hesitant about putting a bar in that is going to make the view through the window "untidy". This car is still going to be my primary DD even though I have been driving my Audi more lately given the torrential rains we have had in NC lately.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Question -- the replacement shelf piece solves the problem of cutting through the OEM carpet at this level -- but, did you still have to cut holes at the bottom of the carpet (at the floor of the car, above the factory welded plates)? If so, is there a WW (i.e., non-US) part number for the rear carpet (with pre-cut holes)?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Zellamsee
Question -- the replacement shelf piece solves the problem of cutting through the OEM carpet at this level -- but, did you still have to cut holes at the bottom of the carpet (at the floor of the car, above the factory welded plates)? If so, is there a WW (i.e., non-US) part number for the rear carpet (with pre-cut holes)?
When we installed the Clubsport roll bar we found that cutting the pass through holes in the carpet behind the seats where the bar bolts to the tub was relatively easy (sharp X-acto type knife and measure carefully) as the bars don't intersect on either side with another bar near the base of the mount requiring an elongated cutout which is difficult to do with any precision, the foam underpadding is much thinnner (+/- 1.5 inches vs 3"+ for the rear shelf) and the bars exit through the carpet at 90 degrees rather than on angles which is the case with the rear shock tower area. The cutouts are not really visible behind the seats either. I did enquire about a ROW spec pre-cut carpet set for the front and there is one available "Front Carpet for Racing Devices" (see picture) for $686 from Suncoast. Problem is the PET diagram doesn't show the exact locations of any of the cutouts. Unless you plan to install the passenger footwell fire extinguisher which is part of the Clubsport option and possibly the front extension pieces of the roll bar (see picture - RH drive shown), I didn't want to take a chance that the carpet would arrive full of holes that I didn't need.

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Clubsport Roll Bar Installation