Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

One better and cheaper tire option for GT3 - Bridgestone Potenza RE-11?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:45 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Thanks Dan, I run the Hoosier R6's in the dry, I highly recommend them, they are much better then MPSC's. In fact I feel that the Yokohama 048's are better in the dry (and wet) then the MPSC's. I will see if Yokohama comes out with 19" R Comps next year, if not I think Toyo R888's is the way to go for me.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by G997
Where did you get them mounted and balanced?
I got these mounted and balanced from the WheelSTO

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Thread revival: I am thinking of putting these on my 600 rwhp M3....she is driven 3 times a week (semi DD...tracked maybe once every 2 years) and gets caught in the rain....are these tires OK in the wet, or are they death like true track tires/R comps??
I've driven in heavy rain with these tires and they were fine, but i was only doing 55 though

Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I just went through a set of RE-11s for street and track duty and they are the best value. Their dry performance is on par with the MPSC and they are better in the wet than the MPSC and the R888s.

I've had all three and found that the R888s are no better in the rain than the MPSC and are one of the noisiest road tires ever made, so if you are doing double duty you will hate them.

The MPSC are great but their tread life is horrible, they are $800 more expensive, and they are absolutely horrendous in the rain.

I got great tread life out of my RE-11s I think I did about 7-9 track days and I just had to replace the rears (dialing down the negative camber in the rear as I still had some tread left).

The RE-11s are also very quiet and after trying every combo of tire out there I'm sticking solely with these.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM
LeonardoC2S is infamous around these parts
So it sounds like the RE-11's are usable even though they don't carry a 'XL' rating nor are they N-spec tires...?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raiyu
I just went through a set of RE-11s for street and track duty and they are the best value. Their dry performance is on par with the MPSC and they are better in the wet than the MPSC and the R888s.

I've had all three and found that the R888s are no better in the rain than the MPSC and are one of the noisiest road tires ever made, so if you are doing double duty you will hate them.

The MPSC are great but their tread life is horrible, they are $800 more expensive, and they are absolutely horrendous in the rain.

I got great tread life out of my RE-11s I think I did about 7-9 track days and I just had to replace the rears (dialing down the negative camber in the rear as I still had some tread left).

The RE-11s are also very quiet and after trying every combo of tire out there I'm sticking solely with these.
Thanks....how do the RE-11's compare to, say, PS2's or Toyo T1 R's in the rain?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
I recently put a set of Yoko ADO8's on a 996 GT3. Haven't had them on track yet, but they feel excellent after some aggressive road use. I noticed the Tire Rack test showed the ADO8 and RE-11 virtually dead even in performance. They are definitely more responsive than the PS2, probably stiffer sidewalls. Can't really compare grip, since the PS2's were five years old when I bought the car, and performance was suffering.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

I agree that the MPSC are horrendous in the rain. Does this mean you would call the R888 horrendous in the rain as well? I have heard that they are great in the wet.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I agree that the MPSC are horrendous in the rain. Does this mean you would call the R888 horrendous in the rain as well? I have heard that they are great in the wet.
For me the R888 were just as bad as the MPSC. Any benefit would be marginal, it's nothing like driving street tires. Im talking about when there is a substantial amount of rain fall.

Originally Posted by elh0102
I recently put a set of Yoko ADO8's on a 996 GT3. Haven't had them on track yet, but they feel excellent after some aggressive road use. I noticed the Tire Rack test showed the ADO8 and RE-11 virtually dead even in performance. They are definitely more responsive than the PS2, probably stiffer sidewalls. Can't really compare grip, since the PS2's were five years old when I bought the car, and performance was suffering.
The RE-11s definitely have a much stiffer sidewall than the PS2s and overall their construction is much better suited to the track. The PS2 has barely any sidewall and you'll wear out the edges way too quick if you drive them on the track.

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Thanks....how do the RE-11's compare to, say, PS2's or Toyo T1 R's in the rain?
I havent been in any monsoons with the RE-11s yet but I have been in a few rains here and there and they've done well enough that I forgot that they were even on the car. My seat of the pants impression I would take the RE-11s in the wet over the R888s and the MPSC. They wont be as good as a regular street tire, but they are the best compromise.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 PM
For me the R888 were just as bad as the MPSC. Any benefit would be marginal, it's nothing like driving street tires. Im talking about when there is a substantial amount of rain fall.
I live in a rain forest, we get a substantial amount of rain, it is a part of life. I am trying to find an upgrade to PS2's for the wet days. I thought about Hoosiers Wet's but that is over the top IMO.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Kaz
Kaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the rough
Sorry i know this is a semi old thread but just saw this info and was interested in the RE11. How does the R888 compare with the RE11 on the street. How do each compare in terms of tread life.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 AM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
I am confused by this thread. Is the consensus that this RE-11 with 180 tread wear rating is close to R888 and OEM MPSC in dry track conditions?

Is the RE-11 better than the RE50A OEM tire with the 140 treadwear rating?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I had the RE-11's on my rs4 and although I never did any track time in it I was very impressed with how they performed on the street/wet/and back roads. They were a little loud, but are a great option for the cost compared to PS2s and cups.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I live in a rain forest, we get a substantial amount of rain, it is a part of life. I am trying to find an upgrade to PS2's for the wet days.
Ed,

I've heard and read good things about the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. How about you try out a set this winter and then let us know the feedback next spring?

NB. No, I'm not paying for them.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 PM
ooberge is infamous around these parts
try the pirelli corsa systeme that what i use on my 997 gt3 a better tires than the cup i was very surprised how well they handle

Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kaz
Sorry i know this is a semi old thread but just saw this info and was interested in the RE11. How does the R888 compare with the RE11 on the street. How do each compare in terms of tread life.
I had R888's for the street and replaced them with the RE11's. There is no comparison, and you will be much happier with the RE11's. Did not take either tire on the track (addicted to Hoosiers), but the R888's are just too noisy for the street when the tread wears down a bit.

As for mileage, my camber is pretty agressive and I only got 3500 out of the R888 rears.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One better and cheaper tire option for GT3 - Bridgestone Potenza RE-11?