Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Nissan GTR vs 997 GT3 mk2 at the ring! Open this thread for the times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HK DRE
Hi I am new here.
LOL, yes I just created an account and this is my very first post
Come on guys, 2 seconds faster out of 8 minutes total time- i call that dead even. Im not here to argue that Nissan's claimed lap times are real or overblown, but it is simply an amazing car.
I just bought a GTR last week, but I also own an Audi S5 and a 997 vert. Driving the GTR is simply an awe inspiring experience, when you mash that throttle it pulls so violently and accelerates like a bat out of hell. I dont doubt Nissan's lap times are real, maybe slightly off this test against the GT3 but who cares, its still LOL fast. And the thing is this car handles like its on rails and is perfect as a daily driver. I can give it praise all day long, but you guys are going to flame me for it so ill stop here.
Having said all that, I prefer driving my regular 997 more..its a very different experience- much more engaging and i prefer the raw feeling of the NA 6 more than a TT V8. So much more fun.
The GTR though i can say has unlimited power it seems, I have barely gone half the maximum speed this car can handle as the traffic here hasnt allowed that so far. By the way, my GTR has an HKS 600hp kit with exhaust, will post pics up later when I have time.
Thanks for reading my post. I hope my next car could be a 997TT convertible.
You sure you have a TT V8? Last time I checked under the hood there was a TT V6 looking back at me. Did Nissan tell you otherwise?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
rr4
rr4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
You sure you have a TT V8? Last time I checked under the hood there was a TT V6 looking back at me. Did Nissan tell you otherwise?

I have a GT3RS and I drove a friend's GT-R for the first time last saturday.

Hate to admit it, but after driving the GT-R, getting into the RS feels like your driving a Toyota Camry. I find it truly surprising that a GT3RS or GT3 for that matter can beat the GT-R at a track. The GT-R feels ferociously fast, brutally bruatlly fast...it is a very special car. Did I mention that GT-R is fast? The acceleration of the GT-R is so brutal when compared to a GT3.

Unless you have driven both back to back, you really can't talk about the GT-R.

I was prepared to hate the GT-R but I can't.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:32 PM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Don't know about that, but in the latest issue of German sport auto ( # 6/2009 ) was the supertest of 997.2 GT3. Horst von Saurma, the editor, did a 7 min 48 sec lap with a 997.1 GT3 in 2006, now with 997.2 GT3 the time was 7 min 40 sec. OEM MPSC N0 tires.
In the next issue they will supertest the GT-R, 'ring laptime will be issued too...
Interesting. Now given that the 997.1's official time with Rohrl driving is 7:42, one could presume that with the 997.2 GT3 he might manage something around 7:34, i.e. 8 seconds faster. Hopefully they will supertest an LHD GTR in Sport Auto, then it will be a like-for-like comparison.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD-
Interesting. Now given that the 997.1's official time with Rohrl driving is 7:42, one could presume that with the 997.2 GT3 he might manage something around 7:34, i.e. 8 seconds faster. Hopefully they will supertest an LHD GTR in Sport Auto, then it will be a like-for-like comparison.
Notice the RS at the end?
7:42 --- 160.52 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3 RS, 415 PS/1420 kg (*mfr.)
7:43 --- 160.17 km/h - Porsche 996 GT3 RS, factory test driver Walter Roehrl (MOTOR magazine)

The 997.2 GT3's official time is 7:40, the previous 997.1 GT3's official time is 7:47.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...rburgring.html

Nissan's official time for its base GTR is 7:27.56 Car Magazine achieved a disappointing 7:51.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM
stevez0r is infamous around these parts
Hi I am new here.
Come on guys, 2 seconds faster out of 8 minutes total time- i call that dead even. Im not here to argue that Nissan's claimed lap times are real or overblown, but it is simply an amazing car.
I just bought a GTR last week, but I also own an Audi S5 and a 997 vert. Driving the GTR is simply an awe inspiring experience, when you mash that throttle it pulls so violently and accelerates like a bat out of hell. I dont doubt Nissan's lap times are real, maybe slightly off this test against the GT3 but who cares, its still LOL fast. And the thing is this car handles like its on rails and is perfect as a daily driver. I can give it praise all day long, but you guys are going to flame me for it so ill stop here.
Having said all that, I prefer driving my regular 997 more..its a very different experience- much more engaging and i prefer the raw feeling of the NA 6 more than a TT V8. So much more fun.
The GTR though i can say has unlimited power it seems, I have barely gone half the maximum speed this car can handle as the traffic here hasnt allowed that so far. By the way, my GTR has an HKS 600hp kit with exhaust, will post pics up later when I have time.
The 2 seconds between the cars isn't the issue at hand, it is the 20+ seconds between Nissan's time for the GTR and every other independent tests time. Does not take away from the fact that the GTR is an impressive machine, its just not the second coming of Christ that Nissan is making it out to be.

Originally Posted by rr4

Hate to admit it, but after driving the GT-R, getting into the RS feels like your driving a Toyota Camry. I find it truly surprising that a GT3RS or GT3 for that matter can beat the GT-R at a track. The GT-R feels ferociously fast, brutally bruatlly fast...it is a very special car. Did I mention that GT-R is fast? The acceleration of the GT-R is so brutal when compared to a GT3.

Agreed, it does feel very fast. The combination of relatively short gearing, AWD, and a dual clutch transmission make the thing feel absolutely, as you said "brutal", till about 80-90mph. The feeling is, however, not backed up by performance. A friend of mine has both a GTR and a lightly modified Shelby GT500 (the aforementioned 121mph trapping car) and we have run them in a straight line from varying speeds, the Shelby always wins. Around a track, the GTR would win, no contest.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Notice the RS at the end?
7:43 --- 160.17 km/h - Porsche 996 GT3 RS, factory test driver Walter Roehrl (MOTOR magazine)

The 997.2 GT3's official time is 7:40, the previous 997.1 GT3's official time is 7:47.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...rburgring.html

Nissan's official time for its base GTR is 7:27.56 Car Magazine achieved a disappointing 7:51.
Hmmm... I've seen other sources that say the 7:42 in for a non-RS GT3. That link actually confirms it.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
iceman996 is infamous around these parts
Nissan really set themselves up for a failure by trying to fool everyone that their car was faster than a Zonda and Enzo. Some people just wasnt easily led and refused to believe the time was legit.

Nissan inviting journalists to have a look around the car for any modifications.....big deal. How are journalists supposed to know if the car had a modified ECU and how much boost it was running.

Suzuki and the GTR are not mythical creatures with mythical powers. Suzuki is a great driver but is not any better than the other ring experts that only achieved a 7:50's with the GTR. Suzuki had even competed in F1 once, only completing two races and finishing close to last on qualifying, practice and race.
First I am not a Gt-R fan at all, NEVER. But let us just be fair. If you feel GT-R had modification when they were doing the ring testing, how can you tell Porsche had 100% stock car when they did the test? The 997 GT2 can easily add 40+hp by ECU mod, or cutting some weight...

To me at least Nissan shows their respect by inviting journalists, but Porsche never did.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 PM
iceman996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rr4

Agree! You really have to sit in one and be able to "WoW". I have 2 friends have it, and this big pig makes my 390hp+ 335i feels like my mom's Corolla.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Hi I am new here.
Fair first post, +1 rep. BTW that is a V6 not a V8 you have in the GT-R. I agree that 2 seconds on the ring is very close.

Originally Posted by iceman996
First I am not a Gt-R fan at all, NEVER. But let us just be fair. If you feel GT-R had modification when they were doing the ring testing, how can you tell Porsche had 100% stock car when they did the test? The 997 GT2 can easily add 40+hp by ECU mod, or cutting some weight...

To me at least Nissan shows their respect by inviting journalists, but Porsche never did.
Because Porsche has always been conservative with their times. And independent testing confirms it.

996 GT2

-Porsche 7:32
-Sport Auto 7:33

CGT

-Porsche 7:28
-Sport Auto 7:33
- Super car test (independent) 7:28 (guy only had a little time in each car)

997.1 GT3

-Porsche 7:42.9
-Sport Auto 7:47

Being as these guys are only doing one lappers, seems Porsche sets benchmarks for their owners to work to achieve. Nissan on the other hand sets a time that not even the other pro drivers can attain and somehow the car that's so easy to drive is now impossible to push to the limit except by one guy. Same thing occured with the R33, same story, different time.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD-
Hmmm... I've seen other sources that say the 7:42 in for a non-RS GT3. That link actually confirms it.
These are all the stock GT3 times. The underlined is the upcoming 997.2 GT3, the previous 997.1 GT3 is in italics, and the GT3 RS is bolded. Notice how close the manufacturer times are to the independent Sport Auto tests.

7:40 --- 161.22 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 435PS/1426kg (sport auto 06/09)
7:40* -- 161.22 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 435PS/1426kg, *company test driver Walter Roehrl
7:45*-- 159.48 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3 RS, 415 PS/ 1424 kg, works driver Walter Roehrl, *mfr.
7:47* -- 158.80 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 415 PS/ 1440 kg, works driver Walter Roehrl, *mfr.
7:48 --- 158.46 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3 RS, 415 PS/1424 kg (sport auto 03/07)
7:48 --- 158.46 km/h - Porsche 996 GT3, 415 PS/1440kg (sport auto 07/06)
7:49 --- 158.12 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 435 PS/1426 kg

Originally Posted by iceman996

It all comes down to independent tests, independent testers could at least get close to, match and sometimes beat the times set by Porsche driver Walter Roehrl. The difference between manufacturer and independent for the GTR is simply just too great, especially for a car that is supposedly easy to handle at the limit. Chris Harris put it plainly, the GTR is good on turns but just doesnt have enough omppph to achieve the time, this is really why the GTR lost to the harder to handle GT2. Whats the point in inviting journalists just so that they could look at the shiny body works, this doesnt prove anything.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:01 AM
BD-
Banned
These are all the stock GT3 times. The underlined is the upcoming 997.2 GT3, the previous 997.1 GT3 is in italics, and the GT3 RS is bolded. Notice how close the manufacturer times are to the independent Sport Auto tests.

7:40 --- 161.22 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 435PS/1426kg (sport auto 06/09)
7:40* -- 161.22 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 435PS/1426kg, *company test driver Walter Roehrl
7:45*-- 159.48 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3 RS, 415 PS/ 1424 kg, works driver Walter Roehrl, *mfr.
7:47* -- 158.80 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 415 PS/ 1440 kg, works driver Walter Roehrl, *mfr.
7:48 --- 158.46 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3 RS, 415 PS/1424 kg (sport auto 03/07)
7:48 --- 158.46 km/h - Porsche 996 GT3, 415 PS/1440kg (sport auto 07/06)
7:49 --- 158.12 km/h - Porsche 997 GT3, 435 PS/1426 kg
From p85 of the CAR Magazine article, "Porsche 911 GT3 (997), 7min42s, June 2006, Walter Rohrl. Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997), 7min43s, date unknown, driver unknown."

Where you have (*mfr) for the GT3 RS, that would be Walter Rohrl, implying that he'd tested the GT3 RS for Porsche and elsewhere. Difficult to believe but the RS was no faster than the standard model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT3#997_GT3_RS

Last edited by BD-; 05-27-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by BD-
From p85 of the CAR Magazine article, "Porsche 911 GT3 (997), 7min42s, June 2006, Walter Rohrl. Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997), 7min43s, date unknown, driver unknown."

Where you have (*mfr) for the GT3 RS, that would be Walter Rohrl, implying that he'd tested the GT3 RS for Porsche and elsewhere. Difficult to believe but the RS was no faster than the standard model.

Not really difficult to believe, the 997 RS wasn't designed to be mush faster, is was more for appeal than overall improvements. Most cases show that it's barely faster if at all than the base GT3.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 PM
BD-
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Not really difficult to believe, the 997 RS wasn't designed to be mush faster, is was more for appeal than overall improvements. Most cases show that it's barely faster if at all than the base GT3.
I'm thinking there may be a mid-7:3X lap in the 997.2 GT3 somewhere.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Hopefully if they make it more hardcorish like the 996 RS. It will probably be released with homologation rules to set the standard for the RSR's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR vs 997 GT3 mk2 at the ring! Open this thread for the times