Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Nissan GTR vs 997 GT3 mk2 at the ring! Open this thread for the times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:46 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
In my opinion the GTR is ugly... but having said that, the car is fast on a track. On our local track, a guy is driving one and he can be fast but not as much as any good driver with a GT3 !

The biggest difference on the track comes from all the electronic assistance systems. There is quite a lot in the GTR so most drivers don't need to really know what they are doing to be fast... but to be super fast, nothing can beat driver's skills and it shows on the track. Following this car on the track, you could see (and actually hear) all these systems going crazy ! That guy would have been in the wall few times in front of me if the Nintendo gizmos wouldn't be there.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Hopefully if they make it more hardcorish like the 996 RS. It will probably be released with homologation rules to set the standard for the RSR's.
Porsche knows Corvette is going to have a fully supported, factory team in GT2 later this year, so they will have their hands full with them and the rapidly improving BMW M3, especially since ALMS loves Corvette and will certainly not make it that hard on them to get up to speed with too many restrictions. ALMS can't afford to p-off the vette nation....

Because of all this, you can bet they are working to improve the RSR...which means the next RS should be ridiculous. The move to linear rate springs on the standard GT3 should give people some insight into how serious the next RS should be.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by iceman996
Agree! You really have to sit in one and be able to "WoW". I have 2 friends have it, and this big pig makes my 390hp+ 335i feels like my mom's Corolla.
My friend has one of fastest Procede tuned 335i's in the country. It dynoed 420 whp on pump gas. We raced his car against a GTR with cobbAP and Mid pipe. The 335i pulled on the GTR from 60-70 and then GTR would put 3 car lengths every single time and it stayed the same till 140.

I raced my 996 TT tuned....it was no contest. Bottomline, in my exp the GTR is fast up until 90 ish ...then it falls flat. The gearing just doesnt support high speeds.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I still have a hard time understanding how the GTR needs to be driven a certain way. And somehow powerful , knife edged at the limit cars can be driven within seconds of the factory times but the GTR can not? FACT, the GTR is supposed to be easier to drive at or near the limits than other powerful RWD cars. FACT , the " Ring " times of the GTR do not line up even close to the factory times. FACT, no one has gotten with 15 seconds of the GTR alleged time....NO ONE.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
No offense to GTR owners, but for me this car has no purpose.

It is an ugly show-off car, it is a bad track car in good hands (a good one for drivers with no skills with all the electronics) and it is still an AWD tractor ! Who would care for AWD Formula One or AWD Nascar racing ? At least the 911TT is a slick car to show-off... that do protect their owners against themselves when they drive fast on the highways.

GTR is a very expensive toy for "Fast and Furious" kids who like to race in the streets... Why buy a GTR for drag racing in straight line with other cars ?? Get a muscle car and boost the engine for half the price.

Last edited by GT3Techno; 05-27-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 PM
substance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GT3Techno

It is an ugly show-off car, it is a bad track car in good hands (a good one for drivers with no skills with all the electronics) and it is still an AWD tractor ! Who would care for AWD Formula One or AWD Nascar racing ? At least the 911TT is a slick car to show-off... that do protect their owners against themselves when they drive fast on the highways.

GTR is a very expensive toy for "Fast and Furious" kids who like to race in the streets... Why buy a GTR for drag racing in straight line with other cars ?? Get a muscle car and boost the engine for half the price.
thats like saying 977 TT is just a showcar as well. sure its fast but the AWD kills it.
I dont understand how the TT looks different than the rest of the 997 when its just a bit faster.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought this tread was all about what is the best car on a track. Sorry if there is any confusion but I don't personally think that any AWD is a suitable dedicated track car and this includes the turbo... unless it is the GT2 !

Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Alot ( not all ) of GTR owners want to show the car in the best light. But somehow ignore the tradeoffs required to get a relatively heavy car without a huge surplus of power to perform the way it does.

No one talks about the understeer the race drivers talk about at the limit, or the fact that at higher speeds it gets left behind by its competitors. Or the odd clunks and noises the car makes that wouldn't be accepted in the ZR1 or GT2....as would the insane requirements to keep the warranty or the supercar maintenance requirements.

The fact is simply that weight and excessive weight no matter what the drivetrain does no good for a cars handling , ok maybe for its ride but not for its handling. And the GTR still rides badly, it also does no good for straight line acceleration. If you want a track day warrior, its hard to beat the GT3, if straight line is your poison there are many cars for around the same or less money that would show the GTR its way ( modified cars as well).

Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3Techno

This car has a mixed purpose IMO, it's a time attack car, not a true track car. It's specs and purpose contradict it's function. It's not a race car because you can't complete a real race in it because the gearbox will overheat, the tires will die and any of various other problems will occur. It's a low cost (think GM) and high maintenance (Think Ferrari) at the same time even without track useage. A giant car yet with an extremely stiff ride and aggressive alignment, but also back seats and a trunk, yet noisy like a race car. Trying too hard to be racy and comfortable at the same time while accomplishing neither completely. With most cars there is a clear purpose as to what the car was designed to do, this doesn't have one.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:13 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
I'm picking up rumours that Sport Auto made 7:38 with the GTR. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM
HK DRE is just really niceHK DRE is just really niceHK DRE is just really niceHK DRE is just really niceHK DRE is just really nice
So the GTR cant match the claimed 7:27 time, big deal. It doesnt take away from the fact that it is an absolutely ridiculously fast car and can keep up or outrun GT3, 997tt, or other cars way above its price range. Its not a beautiful car, but its a friggin beast. Put in CobbAP, HKS powerkit/exhaust and its done. I bet most ppl here trashing the car havent even driven it before so dont assume. Go drive it 1st, then see if you still hate it.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BD-
I'm picking up rumours that Sport Auto made 7:38 with the GTR. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Only that the time isn't close to Nissans'. And this is the newest updated Euro version only 9 seconds behind the original American version and 12 seconds behind Nissan's time in the "same" car.

That's if this time is accurate. Slower than GT2 and CGT significantly and stil llikely a Nissan supplied car.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
modigs is a jewel in the roughmodigs is a jewel in the roughmodigs is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SpeedLimit?
wow, only nissan drivers know how to drive the gtr apparently
So true...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
toddbee is infamous around these parts
I had a 997 gt3 and have to say after driving the GTR for 45 min's or so on some great canyon roads, i was very impressed. The car seems to defy physics. The chassis feels so state of the art. Great power, brakes and balance. Now the Gt3 comes with r compound. How much does this account for on the ring against the GTR's stock tires?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 PM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Only that the time isn't close to Nissans'. And this is the newest updated Euro version only 9 seconds behind the original American version and 12 seconds behind Nissan's time in the "same" car.

That's if this time is accurate. Slower than GT2 and CGT significantly and stil llikely a Nissan supplied car.
Looks like the time is confirmed.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...69385&page=242
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/118276-i-...-7-38-gtr.html
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showpost.ph...0&postcount=43
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...GTR/index.html

Seems to be faster than the 997.2 GT3, if only for 1 lap, and faster than a Scuderia.

This and bankruptcy don't play too well for Porsche.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR vs 997 GT3 mk2 at the ring! Open this thread for the times