Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Nissan GTR vs 997 GT3 mk2 at the ring! Open this thread for the times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
Doom4420

I think you are missing the point that mvez is trying to make and unfortunately you both seem to be getting a little testy.

In my old aircooled 911 days I would get whipped up by Corvette's and Mustang's on the street. Go to a track and the tables turned. However, even my 911 had limits with respect to tires and brakes once you start doing laps on a track.

One Lap of America is not 50 laps at Laguna Seca on a hot day. It's not a dozen laps at Daytona. Apples and Oranges.

There have always been less expensive iron that can outshine a Porsche. There is more expensive iron that can't outshine a Porsche. Once you get in to the class of cars like the GTR, GT3, Enzo, etc. a blink of an eye or a missed braking point make a big difference. If it were a race, it matters. On a car you might drive to work and flog on weekends, it doesn't matter. Enjoy the car.

You know, the Scuderia is a beautiful car, and may often beat a similarly equipped GT3, but so much depends on the driver. But I do suspect that the GT3 could do the weekend challenges with the Scuderia, but it could not be driven to work on Monday, day after day. Not saying it couldn't happen. But I am always surprised when I read Ferrari advertisements; "40,000, engine just rebuilt..." That's an expensive car.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned
Doom4420 has a spectacular aura aboutDoom4420 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
You obviously have been watching too many Best Motoring videos and not exposed to other automotive enthusiasts. Even Top Gear has higher credibility than Best Motoring, they are basically at the bottom of the rung.

Having a faster car and having an easier car to handle for the average joe are totally different things. The GTR is an easier car to drive but not a faster car as compared with the other 7:20's car.

I do read LOTS of magazines and watch lots of other videos. I thought I made that clear. I have a huge collections of all types of magazines. Trust me, I don't think all there is to the automotive world is Best Motoring.
As far as Dirk, I meant 8:30, sorry. I just find it hard to believe my Mazdaspeed 3 was only 9 seconds slower than his time....

Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Doom4420
So Dirk got about a 7:30 with the R33 GTR? Really? I have a Mazdaspeed 3 as a daily driver. They took a stock one out and got an 8:39 with it. So my Mazda got 9 seconds slower than an R33? Wow, my car is quick.

I'm sure by now you probably think I dislike Porsche. Nothing could be further than the truth. I just visited the local bookstore and purchased 2 magazines that feature the new GT3.
The Mazda is hindered by its FWD setup so the advantage goes to the GTR, however the GTR is hindered by its weight. All in all its understandable how these two cars run a similar time with a professional driver. What I find funny is that Nissan tried to pass the R33 as being able to keep up the the 550hp CTS-V which also set a 7:59 lap quite recently (with a far better tire, far better computer, far better suspension and far better brakes).

Mazda Speed 3
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 263 @ 5500
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 280 @ 3000
Weight (lbs): 3153 lbs

Nissan GTR R33
Horsepower (hp): 276hp
Torque (lb-ft): 277
Weight (lbs): 3522 lbs

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned
True, I see you point. I figured with the all wheel drive and around 300 hp (RB26 has always, from what I heard made more than 276 hp) that it would have lapped much quicker than 8:30.

I understand your CTS-V point, but doesn't the Cadillac weigh 4100 lbs and is 2 wheel drive? There's some disadvantages right there.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM
True, I see you point. I figured with the all wheel drive and around 300 hp (RB26 has always, from what I heard made more than 276 hp) that it would have lapped much quicker than 8:30.

I understand your CTS-V point, but doesn't the Cadillac weigh 4100 lbs and is 2 wheel drive? There's some disadvantages right there.

So what your saying is that the laws of physics doesnt apply to the GTR but it does to all other cars? The CTS-V with its high hp still gets a low time because of its weight. However its not all about power and weight this is why the R33 is still slightly faster than the Mazda 3, however 4wd cn only take you so far.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Wow, that debate around which car is the better track tool is going nowhere... If you are a GTR owner and you love your car, good for you ! Reality is that when I follow that GTR on our local track, I can see the smoke coming out of the brakes in the corners while the driver is on the throttle; I can even smell the rotors burning ! May be in good hands the car can be a killer but I wouldn't recommend it to the average driver if they are really looking to improve their driving skills. Period.

Last edited by GT3Techno; 05-29-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned
So what your saying is that the laws of physics doesnt apply to the GTR but it does to all other cars? The CTS-V with its high hp still gets a low time because of its weight. However its not all about power and weight this is why the R33 is still slightly faster than the Mazda 3, however 4wd cn only take you so far.
Nobody said that the laws of physics don't apply, but I think it is safe to say that the CTS-V does not have the sophistocated electronics the R35 has to overcome certain weight handicaps.

Look we're never going to completely see eye to eye on this. Frankly, I think Nissan's electronics in their all wheel drive system is much more sophistocated than you all give it credit for. Whether it is enough to get to 7:26.7 without some sort of "cheat", well, I don't think any of us will ever know that for SURE.

I've also came out and said that I admire the GT3 and M3 in addition to the GTR, and none of you even acknowledged that.

I'm not only a GTR fan, but a GT3 and M3 fan. I don't think one is the ultimate car. Frankly, I'd love to have all 3 if I had the money. They all 3 suit different purposes. Not once have I read here that any Porsche owner/fan would like a GTR. It seems like they feel it is the devil and must be hated.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Nobody said that the laws of physics don't apply, but I think it is safe to say that the CTS-V does not have the sophistocated electronics the R35 has to overcome certain weight handicaps.

Look we're never going to completely see eye to eye on this. Frankly, I think Nissan's electronics in their all wheel drive system is much more sophistocated than you all give it credit for. Whether it is enough to get to 7:26.7 without some sort of "cheat", well, I don't think any of us will ever know that for SURE.

I've also came out and said that I admire the GT3 and M3 in addition to the GTR, and none of you even acknowledged that.

I'm not only a GTR fan, but a GT3 and M3 fan. I don't think one is the ultimate car. Frankly, I'd love to have all 3 if I had the money. They all 3 suit different purposes. Not once have I read here that any Porsche owner/fan would like a GTR. It seems like they feel it is the devil and must be hated.
Is Nissan's electronics all that powerful and sophisticated to enable it to beat the Enzo, Zonda, ACR and ZR1 around the track? I still say that the GTR is closer in performance to the GT3 than it is to the CGT, and that Nissan used a ringer for its top time.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned
Ok, guess we'll never know for sure. Everyone here must just hate the GTR and doesn't even admire it for what it is. It didn't get car of the year in multiple magazines for nothing.

You can believe they had a ringer, great. I'm not saying they didn't, I sure hope they didn't, but since I don't know, I'm not going to make that pronouncement. I think tho, being the GTR fan that I am, I can admit to admiring GT3s and the like, but any Porsche fan absolutely hates the GTR, never having driven one.

I personally think it is a little immature.

Oh, and I did read your posts regarding the GTR never making it below 7:40. Guess Sport Auto proved you wrong. But I'm sure they had a ringer also. From what I've read of your history, it's nothing but negative negative negative toward the GTR. I've never said anything in my short time here negatively regarding the GT3 or M3 or the like. I respect all sorts of high performance automobiles. Maybe you should let go of your GTR smear campaign. Everyone else seems to be honing in on your absolute hatred for the automobile.

Last edited by Doom4420; 05-29-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Ok, guess we'll never know for sure. Everyone here must just hate the GTR and doesn't even admire it for what it is. It didn't get car of the year in multiple magazines for nothing.

You can believe they had a ringer, great. I'm not saying they didn't, I sure hope they didn't, but since I don't know, I'm not going to make that pronouncement. I think tho, being the GTR fan that I am, I can admit to admiring GT3s and the like, but any Porsche fan absolutely hates the GTR, never having driven one.

I personally think it is a little immature.

Oh, and I did read your posts regarding the GTR never making it below 7:40. Guess Sport Auto proved you wrong. But I'm sure they had a ringer also. From what I've read of your history, it's nothing but negative negative negative toward the GTR. I've never said anything in my short time here negatively regarding the GT3 or M3 or the like. I respect all sorts of high performance automobiles. Maybe you should let go of your GTR smear campaign. Everyone else seems to be honing in on your absolute hatred for the automobile.
Who do you seriously think cares what you personally think? You are a noob that jumps straight into controversial threads with your impositions. I don't think many people will get offended.

And since you can't understand how best motoring is biased I don't think anyone is taking what you say seriously anyways.

BTW the GT-R got car of the year because it sells magazines and is the new kid on the block and was the most hyped thing ever to come out of asia. But I'm sure you wouldn't understand that aspect of magazine sales either.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned
Who the hell cares what you think either Heavy? Its a forum. I've read your posts on GTR.co.uk also, I think you were banned there, weren't you? I actually compliment other cars and all you do is try to bash anyone that likes the GTR.

I'm a noob? For all I know, your're 16 years old. At least I don't act like it.

Yeah, all those magazines chose it to sell magazines, not because it was an amazing car. Keep deluding yourself.

I have the ***** to admit that I think the GTR has weakness such as the transmission and such. I can even admit that I appreciate all kinds of other cars.

You come in here calling me a noob and you don't even know me. Easy to sit on the other side of the keyboard and call names, so likewise, I will do the same to you.

I didn't just sit here making up unsupportable accusations regarding Nissan cheating and such, not like you guys do.

I actually tried to compliment the GT3 and such and you Porsche supporters just sit there and bash bash bash anyone that likes the GTR.

You don't have an open mind, it's just a shut and closed case for you, like a little baby "Waaa, the GTR beat my expensive Porsche in testing, so I'm going to bash it to death."

Notice I've never said anything negative about other cars such as the Porsche?

I can't deal with closed minded people. Like hitting your head against a brick wall. Painful and a waste of time.

Last edited by Doom4420; 05-30-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:14 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Who the hell cares what you think either Heavy? Its a forum. I've read your posts on GTR.co.uk also, I think you were banned there, weren't you? I actually compliment other cars and all you do is try to bash anyone that likes the GTR.

Yeah, all those magazines chose it to sell magazines, not because it was an amazing car. Keep deluding yourself.

I have the ***** to admit that I think the GTR has weakness such as the transmission and such. I can even admit that I appreciate all kinds of other cars.

You come in here calling me a noob and you don't even know me. Easy to sit on the other side of the keyboard and call names, so likewise, I will do the same to you.

I didn't just sit here making up unsupportable accusations regarding Nissan cheating and such, not like you guys do.

I actually tried to compliment the GT3 and such and you Porsche supporters just sit there and bash bash bash anyone that likes the GTR.

You don't have an open mind, it's just a shut and closed case for you, like a little baby "Waaa, the GTR beat my expensive Porsche in testing, so I'm going to bash it to death."

I can't deal with closed minded people. Like hitting your head against a brick wall. Painful and a waste of time.
Could you tell us what car you are tracking on a regular basis ? Or all this stuff is based on magazines content ?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:19 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

You are a noob HERE, look at your join date and post amount. Or is that too complicated to figure out? You jump in here with no rep calling people immature because of their opinions that don't support your GT-R fanboy nation.

While everyone else has just been arguing points. You made this personal not me, I was just point that out. Either way, I'm not concerned because like I said you think best motoring is actually legit comparison tests. That says enough by itself.

Good day.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned
Whatever you say, of course you're right. Guess I don't have enough posts to know anything about cars like you do. Get off the best motoring thing. I posted fact about all kinds of magazines testing both, but you ignore that and only pickup on stuff that you can tear apart and insult with.

Like I said, one track mind. I already said that I'm not some stupid fanboi like you call me, I love all types of cars. If I read posts about a GT3 or the M3 where people were calling Porsche liars or the such and I didn't think it was true, I'd call them out on that also, and I've pointed that out that I like GT3's and M3's.

All you and monaroCountry ever do in any of your posts is bash GTR's. Its a fact, I've read so many of your pathetic attempts at dissing the GTR in other posts in this forum, it's not hard to see how biased you are. Have fun in your personal vendetta war against the GTR. Me, I can deal with the fact that there is more than one great car in this world. You can live in your own closed little world.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned
Could you tell us what car you are tracking on a regular basis ? Or all this stuff is based on magazines content ?
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo and a Mazdaspeed 3. I already said that I'm don't have the kind of money to support something like a GT3 or GTR. I've been into cars since 15, bulding engines, drag strip, some tracking. It's not something I do on a regular basis, but I have and do from time to time.

I've driven plenty of nice cars, including a Dodge Viper GTS, M3, Porsche 911 Carerra, RX8, etc. They are not mine, and I don't have extensive experience with them, but I have experienced much more than just cars I have owned.

Last edited by Doom4420; 05-30-2009 at 07:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR vs 997 GT3 mk2 at the ring! Open this thread for the times