Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

CGT oil change (URGENT!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Colby,

Thanks for the referal....

We service and maintain over 10 CGT's in the Southern California area.

We have done everything from clutch replacements, head gaskets to basic maintenance and service work.

Here is a CGT engine and gearbox out when we built our WC-GT exhaust system.

We have all the proper tools, diagnostic equipment and trained personel to service the cars properly.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bill S
I just did it myself without a lift. It took me a full day. The strainer was clean. It only took 8 quarts even though I let it drain a few hours with the oil filter removed. You need the torque multiplier to take off the wheel and be careful of all torques so you don't break the carbon fiber.

There's about 50 screws with different sizes, so you need to mark where they go.
"millionaire next door" for sure

I would not have thought in a million years a CGT owner would change his own oil...

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PJS
"millionaire next door" for sure

I would not have thought in a million years a CGT owner would change his own oil...
It was a very satisfying experience.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
bgwilly31 is infamous around these parts
I think i would be the same exact way^

And people complain about the lotus oil change.

Completely different ball park here.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
It was a very satisfying experience.
Good for you!
I would have looked at all the fasteners and thought about over torquing and cracking CF etc... and thrown in the towel
to do it without a lift even...

commendable

Old 06-09-2009, 05:47 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
I just did it myself without a lift. It took me a full day. The strainer was clean. It only took 8 quarts even though I let it drain a few hours with the oil filter removed. You need the torque multiplier to take off the wheel and be careful of all torques so you don't break the carbon fiber.

There's about 50 screws with different sizes, so you need to mark where they go.
How does the torque multiplier work? A friend with a F430 challenge has a humongous torque wrench for his center lock wheels. I'm wondering if he would be better off with your tool when at the track?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by fortyounce
How does the torque multiplier work? A friend with a F430 challenge has a humongous torque wrench for his center lock wheels. I'm wondering if he would be better off with your tool when at the track?
When you turn the multiplier with the torque wrench, the part connected to the wheel nut turns about 4X slower. The arm keeps the multiplier housing from turning by wedging up against the wheel spoke. 122 ft-lb in equals 407 ft-lb out. This one is specially made for the CGT by Hazet and has a protective covering on the arm. It basically like a starter motor where a small diameter gear engages a large diameter gear for torque multiplication.

It's easy to remove the CGT wheel with the torque multiplier and a breaker bar. It also provides precise torque when tightening, which is required to prevent damage to the CGT wheel from over-torque, or damage when the wheel spins for under-torque.

Last edited by Bill S; 06-09-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by fortyounce
How does the torque multiplier work?
gear reduction

A friend with a F430 challenge has a humongous torque wrench for his center lock wheels. I'm wondering if he would be better off with your tool when at the track?
i have a humongous wrench also. i can use it elsewhere (and have had to) and the inherent error in the smaller wrench isn't multiplied (along with the torque, the error is also necessarily multiplied). i don't recall exactly, but the price of the large wrench was pretty much the same as the multiplier ... not that a CGT (or 430CH) owner cares.

the multiplier requires a brace to work, and uses a spoke. the 430 challenge wheel design may not permit this.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
When you turn the multiplier with the torque wrench, the part connected to the wheel nut turns about 4X slower. The arm keeps the multiplier housing from turning by wedging up against the wheel spoke. 122 ft-lb in equals 407 ft-lb out. This one is specially made for the CGT by Hazet and has a protective covering on the arm. It basically like a starter motor where a small diameter gear engages a large diameter gear for torque multiplication.

It's easy to remove the CGT wheel with the torque multiplier and a breaker bar. It also provides precise torque when tightening, which is required to prevent damage to the CGT wheel from over-torque, or damage when the wheel spins for under-torque.
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
gear reduction

i have a humongous wrench also. i can use it elsewhere (and have had to) and the inherent error in the smaller wrench isn't multiplied (along with the torque, the error is also necessarily multiplied). i don't recall exactly, but the price of the large wrench was pretty much the same as the multiplier ... not that a CGT (or 430CH) owner cares.

the multiplier requires a brace to work, and uses a spoke. the 430 challenge wheel design may not permit this.
Perfect explanation. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
Make sure you guys have the jacking plates so your monocoque doesn't get stressed & crack

We have the plates & torque multiplier at our shop.

Bill S - That's awesome you did your own oil change.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Auctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud of

thats is insainly unessicarly complex!!
talk about trying to keep the service department in business.
way to go by doing it yourself!!

I used to do my oil myself until a friend told me that to just pay a few hundred was simply insurance incase ANYTHING happened to the engine that could be traced back to a leak or any possible tiny mistake I could make or over look. If a 15k (NSX), 75k (Diablo), or 150k (CGT) egine were to blow up from loss of oil it would all be on me if that drain plug wiggled loose. If I pay someone they assume the liability
I want to change my Diablos oil so bad, but its just not worth the chance over nothing

Old 06-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Auctung
thats is insainly unessicarly complex!!
talk about trying to keep the service department in business.
way to go by doing it yourself!!

I used to do my oil myself until a friend told me that to just pay a few hundred was simply insurance incase ANYTHING happened to the engine that could be traced back to a leak or any possible tiny mistake I could make or over look. If a 15k (NSX), 75k (Diablo), or 150k (CGT) egine were to blow up from loss of oil it would all be on me if that drain plug wiggled loose. If I pay someone they assume the liability
I want to change my Diablos oil so bad, but its just not worth the chance over nothing
Good point. But I like to think I'm more careful than the dealer. It's not fun to blow an engine, even if the dealer caused it and you can prove it was their fault. I blew an engine in a Ferrari right after the dealer changed the oil (oil pump seized). I couldn't prove it was something they did. Luckily it was covered under warranty.