Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

[PICS] 997 gt3 super light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 AM
greygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to all
If it was as easy as placing a new air filter/housing on the car to achieve 25 hp don't you think Porsche would have done it?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
997GT3NM is infamous around these parts
That is my car.

I agree on the half cage/roll bar. I did this Brey Krauss so that I could at least put harnesses in for now; it was not very expensive and I can resell it. Anyway, since I just did the sunroof delete, that added to my holding off on the rollbar and doing some more research. I am not sure what my future holds for me and this GT3 in terms of which direction I want to go with tracking it. DE's vs. more serious racing at some point, which requires the correct certified safety items. Anyway, a half cage (or more) will go in soon.

Fabryce, those are your brakes btw; from your WC GT3.

Stephen

Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by greygt3
If it was as easy as placing a new air filter/housing on the car to achieve 25 hp don't you think Porsche would have done it?
Absolutely correct! I did not believe it either, but wanted to see if it made any difference at all. K&N will take it back with 100% refund, and we have a dyno to test in house, so it really was not a big deal. On the dyno it did not add power or lose power. Seat of pants feel did not change either. It also sounded the same on my car as the original.

It will go back to the OE intake this week. Hope it helps those of your considering this item.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997GT3NM
That is my car.

I agree on the half cage/roll bar. I did this Brey Krauss so that I could at least put harnesses in for now; it was not very expensive and I can resell it. Anyway, since I just did the sunroof delete, that added to my holding off on the rollbar and doing some more research. I am not sure what my future holds for me and this GT3 in terms of which direction I want to go with tracking it. DE's vs. more serious racing at some point, which requires the correct certified safety items. Anyway, a half cage (or more) will go in soon.

Stephen
stephen, how much weight did you get out of the carpet?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
Outside of adding one of GMG's Rollbars, I think this car is dynamite!

A 400lb weight reduction is ALOT. That's getting into serious wt/hp ratios....I'm drooling just thinking about how much fun that thing is to drive.

It's also super clean looking for being stripped down, kudos to the owner for one badazz GT3.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
the k&n should save 1-2 pounds?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
JC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really nice
That is my car.

Stephen
Well done sir, I guess you are my hero.

we have a dyno to test in house, so it really was not a big deal.
Do you have a shop in Albuquerque? My 996TT may be moving to Santa Fe in about a month and I'll be up there some of August.

Last edited by JC919; 06-25-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
GTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud of
So Fresh and so Clean, Clean!Well except for the front bumpers. lol

Old 06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Porsche should've sold the GT3 exactly like this with the exception of a proper roll cage...

Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
supergoji is infamous around these parts
ya im curious about the carpet weight too.
audio weighs alot too.

but what im really concerned about is that the GT3 with the K&N intake was only making 310rwhp. the gt3 makes 415 crank right? was this a mustang dyno??

Old 07-05-2009, 06:14 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
add a rollbar and its perfect...

next question is what you stated earlier. what direction are you going with the car as far as racing or DE's

Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by speedoflight
stephen, how much weight did you get out of the carpet?
The front trunk area was right at 19 lbs. The interior carpet only was somewhere between 45 to 50 lbs if I remember correctly. I have everything written down, but not in front of me right now.

It is no where near 100 lbs!

Originally Posted by supergoji
ya im curious about the carpet weight too.
audio weighs alot too.

but what im really concerned about is that the GT3 with the K&N intake was only making 310rwhp. the gt3 makes 415 crank right? was this a mustang dyno??
I called their on duty engineer before buying this intake and he did not know very much about the 997 GT3/RS. He stated that different dynos under different conditions will make different numbers. While true, their output was way low. I believe that a stock 997 GT3 is making over 370 corrected whp.

But that may be the answer: "corrected." I live at approximately 6,000 ft of elevation and my uncorrected whp was somewhere between 330 and 340. So it is possible that the K&N dyno used was at an even higher elevation (would have to be around 7,000 ft, which I think is unlikely) and that they showed uncorrected numbers.

Another possiblity is that maybe their test RS went into limp mode because it was confused by the dyno (rear wheels moving and not fronts). If this is the case, the hp could have been all over the place and could easily explain the VERY optimistic gain of 25 whp.

Anyway, we did it on the same day and same engine temps. My GT3 has been putting down very repeatable and consistant numbers on our dyno.

I never believed that their intake would make 25 hp anyway, but thought maybe at least 10 was possible - NOT!

And again, seat of pants feel also confirms no power change.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by JC919
Well done sir, I guess you are my hero.

Do you have a shop in Albuquerque? My 996TT may be moving to Santa Fe in about a month and I'll be up there some of August.
Yes, I have a shop in Albuquerque. I co-lease this shop with a buddy of mine. He works on air-cooled Porsches, while I do paint protection film, and windshield tear-offs and cusom vinyl graphics.

I will PM you my number and address, would be great to have you stop by! Just give me a call before you do so

Stephen

Last edited by 997GT3NM; 07-05-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: promoting business
Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by SRatha
Porsche should've sold the GT3 exactly like this with the exception of a proper roll cage...
What I built, is what the RS should have been in the first place. I was on the list for one, but coudld not get in at MSRP. So I ordered my GT3 with no options at MSRP knowing that the RS basically has nothing on me. But I do still respect and love the RS.

The money that I have spent turnin my GT3 into an RS has really not been that bad, but it would have been easier if I had started with a white or orange RS that already had the pccb's.

So I built the true RS: a car that is barely street legal, at least 350 lbs lighter than any other stock 997 Porsche. And is truely set up to excell at the track (not autoX either!).

But it is still a work in progess. I just purchased all of the RSS suspension alignment parts as another major step. I also have more safety gear, and more wheels from ultralightweight with Hoosiers to the stock wheels with the fake Cups.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by jenk12m
add a rollbar and its perfect...

next question is what you stated earlier. what direction are you going with the car as far as racing or DE's
I am currently investigating this. First I want as much seat time as possible, I try for every weekend during the season.

Than I need to be honest with myself as to how good I really am, and what are my chances getting into some kind of organized racing sanction some day.

I am currently working towards becoming a PCA instructor, but may go into Club Racing. Some of the events that NASA puts on has me intrigued.

But for now I am just having a lot of fun and I have a lot to learn. I am not ready for anything serious at this point. The best I can do is participate in the highest HPDE event classes and also the highest PCA classes for DE's.

Stephen

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: [PICS] 997 gt3 super light