Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

too good to be true

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
id say
i wont do ebay. i will fly down. pick me up at the airport tomorrow and we will go to the bank together. you sign title over to me, i deposit check into your account all right there. then i drive car back home.

not much quicker than that.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
kscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these parts
RUN!!!! Its a rip off.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Steve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the rough
It is a scam as much as the Nigerian money orders. The email you received is a template. Here's samples of the replies I received from a Craigslist seller for a 2006 Cayenne Turbo for $15,600. The seller had every excuse to not meet up take the cash and do the exchange. They will insist that the money must be transfered first, and the car is already at the transport company and unavailble for inspection. Whatever photo you see are typically lifted from someone else's ad. Here are sample of replies I received that is common in this scenario. Notice the similarities in tone, grammar, transaction procedure requested:

Hi,

My 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo is in great shape,no engine problems,damages or
hidden defects. Hasn't been involved in any accident. It was always garaged and
never kept outside. I`m a single mother with 2 children because i divorced with
my husband and after the divorce i own this car,i don`t need it and that`s why
i`m selling it so cheap. The car has a clear title, no liens. Transmission is
Automatic and has 20,966 miles. The total price is $15,600 including shipping
and handling. We will use eBay protection program for our safety and for
payment i prefer to use a eBay Safety Bank Account.
I just need your full name and address so i can open a case.(with no further
obligation to buy it or fees).

Have a nice day!

Patricia

Hi,
The car is already at the shipping company in Miami, Florida sealed and ready for the shipping. All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale will be provided along with the car. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. If you want to buy it please email me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the transaction through eBay(I repeat with no further obligation to buy it or fees). After that they will contact you with all necessary information about this transaction(terms,buyer protection,payment instructions,invoice,etc.)
Thank you,
Patricia

Hi,
The car is already at the shipping company in Miami, Florida sealed and ready for the shipping. All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale will be provided along with the car. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. If you want to buy it please email me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the transaction through eBay(I repeat with no further obligation to buy it or fees). After that they will contact you with all necessary information about this transaction(terms,buyer protection,payment instructions,invoice,etc.)
Thank you,
Patricia

(this reply was actually sent twice)

Hi,
The car was also listed on eBay and for this reason I suggest that we close this deal using the security provided by eBay.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice will send you the details on how to make a refundable payment.
4. eBay will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you want with the car. If you will buy it, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.
5. If you will decide that you will not buy the car, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company(DAS) come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
Thank you
Patricia

Last edited by Steve W; 06-22-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 AM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
Originally Posted by buzzm
he agreed to my friend stopping by before 4.00 to see the car (i dont have any friends in texas though)

i would have thought he would have come up with an excuse why it wouldnt be possible
I had a scammer that tried to entice me into a similar transaction a couple of years ago, his correspondence was nearly identical to what you have posted.

Last edited by jmla; 06-23-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 AM
thebabydoc is infamous around these parts
I had the same exact scenario on cayenne turbo last week:
2008 Cayenne Turbo

here's the e-mail:
Hi Ron,

The carfax report is just below. The reason I'm selling this car under the market value is because I need some money to save my business. Right now I'm having a business trip abroad and I will not be able to handle the sale in person. But I've already arranged the shipping and the title transfer. The shipping is included in the price. The transaction will be made through eBay for the safety of both of us. In order to do this we will have to follow a few easy steps:

- I start the transaction through eBay.
- eBay send you the transaction details.
- they send you an invoice with the payment details.
- you send the money to eBay Motors.
- I ship the car.
- you receive the vehicle and inspect it.
- you accept the vehicle and eBay pays me.

The clean title will be sent along with the car. eBay Motors will hold the money until the car and the title are delivered to you. I think that 5 days of inspection are enough. If the car is not like described you will have to ship it back on my expense and eBay will give you a full refund. This way, you will be able to inspect the vehicle before committing to buy it and I know that you have the money and you aren't just fooling around.

Giving the nature of this transaction please note that my sale terms are final and nonnegotiable. In order to move forward I will need your full name and the shipping address.

Thanks,
David

Although I cannot figure out how they can keep the cash, it is clearly
a fraud. Don't even waste your time responding to the e-mails. Frist thing I did was Google the guy's name- no matches. That's usually a good clue that the guy is a fraud. Then the Carfax showed that the car had been sold 11 days earlier in Miami- I called the dealership and they confirmed that there was a deposit and nothing more and that the sales price was $20K higher.

...There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Lets think about why would the seller want to pay %ebay fees rather than a wire transfer?

I don't believe there is an Ebay trust account that works that way. They would be 3rd party if there was an escrow. In reality it is probably just a bank account transfer.

It seems that 25% discount is the sweet spot to entice buyers of luxury items that are never discounted. It seems that most scams are about this price range.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
TOTAL BS, walk away

Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
bring a shotgun with you (and the duffle) ~ LOL

run

Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
My dumbass neighbor got ripped off for $8,500 on EXACTLY the same deal for an '06 Ford F250 4x4 with 30K miles in excellent condition. Yeah...Right!

When you get the ebay link it will look like, smell like, and feel like ebay. But it won't be. It's redirected and you will post your 'ebay' transaction and 'POOF' your money's gone and another ***** gets one over on a bottom feeder who ignored all the big red flags.

Sorry, but if you proceed you'll only have yourself to blame.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
" It's redirected and you will post your 'ebay' transaction and 'POOF' your money's gone "

+1

Old 06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
ScottGT3 is infamous around these parts
Somebody needs to figure out a way to track these slimy *******s down and cut their b@!!s off!!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i thought about messing with him and at the least wasting a bunch of his time but he stopped replying to my emails

i f*cking hate scammers almost as much as i hate pikeys

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Too many "rules' on his part. Sounds like a scam - also PPI by an independent mechanic (usually not a dealer) is better than CARFAX, though do both...Just IMHO