Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

too good to be true

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
too good to be true

i have been offered a car for a very cheap price 30k (at least 10k less than blue book), he says hes desperate and its either the car or his house that goes, he says he was messed arround by the last seller whose financing fell though last week and now he needs cash urgently

other then getting vin number, running carfax, getting thorough ppi, dme etc how else can i cover myself

i'm not stupid, i know when things appear too good to be true they usually are but there are a lot of desperate people out their right now

edit - it didnt take me long figure out this was a scam, obviously i passed on it, hopefully he didnt manage to scam anyone but i'm sure some poor fool fell for it

Last edited by buzzm; 06-26-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
fallen612 is infamous around these parts
take it to a mechanic, and do like you said carfax it. does it look like its worth kbb value? like the paint, and interior? if everything checks out then you got yourself a steal. but just make sure you check everything. like you said there really are some desperate people out there right now.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i asked for the vin which he just gave me, he also said an inspection is fine

he wants to go thorugh ebay, this is what he said,

I don't have any problems regarding the inspection.
The transaction process through ebay is quite easy :
- first you will have to transfer the money to them
- when they will get your deposit it will be secured into a non-interest bearing trust account
- once they notify me that they have your money I can either deliver the car to your address or you can come and pick it up yourself. You can take it then at any porsche dealer you may want and have a full inspection.
- if you decide to keep the car after the 10 day period you will transfer the title into your name and ebay will transfer the money to my account otherwise you will get a full refund.
If you agree with these terms, please email me your eBay username along with your Full Name, address and phone number so I can start this process through eBay.
I will call you as soon as I will register the transaction to talk about the remaining details.

i'm still really sceptical

Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor
kaoss is infamous around these parts
SCAM. SCAM. SCAM.....if it's a real deal, he shouldn't have any issue with you paying by cash and collecting the title AND the car at the same time. He should also have no issue sending the car for a PPI prior to your purchase. I think you hit the nail on the head...if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

We have someone doing a similiar thing with one of our inventory cars...offering it for WAY less than our asking, but giving out our vin # and sending pics direct from our web site. They want the "buyer" to go through yahoo finance only.

Check with E-bay for starters, research his user name...although, even that could be compramised no days.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 AM
mcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nice
Is the purchase local or long distance? If it's long distance how do you plan to take delivery of the vehicle? Maybe ask/pay a fellow 6speeder thats local to the vehicle to go check it out for you? Added peace of mind is a big help for this kinda stuff

Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
he just emailed this to me, i had asked to do a deal in person and meet at hsi bank to arrange a wire transfer

''I'm sorry but I can't afford to lose time like I did with the previous buyer, I just want to be sure you have the money. I can drive it myself to you if you want but I want it done through ebay.''
I'm in discussions with 2 more buyers so you would might want to hurry up

Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM
he agreed to my friend stopping by before 4.00 to see the car (i dont have any friends in texas though)

i would have thought he would have come up with an excuse why it wouldnt be possible

Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Adam2S is infamous around these parts
Walk away - far too many questions and suspicios reasons for not doing things.

The 10k you think you are about to save could turn out to be 30k you loose!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM
DJH
DJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really nice
SCAM FOR SURE! Like Kaoss said, there should be NO PROBLEM with him accepting cash.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
As others have said, this transaction seems highly suspicious. Why would he lose time with cash? If anything, he'd gain time by not having to wait for the funds to clear transfer. Plus the fees that he'd incur via ebay, it doesn't make sense. How much more certain can you get then having cold hard cash in your hand? Tell him if he's so desperate, to be a little more flexible.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Scam -- who doesn't like cash

Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
for a large sum, i wouldn't want cash either. the last thing a seller needs is a duffle bag full of fake bills. BUT given what the seller outlined below... RUN AWAY!!!

Originally Posted by buzzm
i asked for the vin which he just gave me, he also said an inspection is fine

he wants to go thorugh ebay, this is what he said,

I don't have any problems regarding the inspection.
The transaction process through ebay is quite easy :
- first you will have to transfer the money to them
- when they will get your deposit it will be secured into a non-interest bearing trust account
- once they notify me that they have your money I can either deliver the car to your address or you can come and pick it up yourself. You can take it then at any porsche dealer you may want and have a full inspection.
- if you decide to keep the car after the 10 day period you will transfer the title into your name and ebay will transfer the money to my account otherwise you will get a full refund.
If you agree with these terms, please email me your eBay username along with your Full Name, address and phone number so I can start this process through eBay.
I will call you as soon as I will register the transaction to talk about the remaining details.

i'm still really sceptical

Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
fallen612 is infamous around these parts
yea. he should take a wire transfer or meet up with you and have a bank aproved check from you to him and then he sign over the car. something isnt right. see if he meets you in person and talk to him about it in person. if hes so worried about time then i dont htink he would drive down to talk to you in person. my 2cents

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
SCAM. Stay clear. Many very similar eBay instances have been reported here and other boards. Souncs like a classic scam.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Andrew D. is infamous around these parts
It's a scam. Trust your instincts. Don't be seduced by something that is "too good to be true."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: too good to be true