Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RMS leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DanH
Can someone explain to me why Porshe aren't fitting the 996 TT part themselves if thats all there is to it? They are not stupid and they seem to be creating new revisions to try and cope without just popping in this legacy item.
They are not stupid, just cost-concious, stubborn, and do not like to admit mistakes.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
Originally Posted by sparkhill
They are not stupid, just cost-concious, stubborn, and do not like to admit mistakes.
Exactly! When I mentioned installing a 6TT seal, my service advisor laughed and said "those guys on the forums don't know what they're talking about".

Old 08-20-2009, 03:11 PM
DanH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Honestly, that makes absolutely no sense. They are spending money designing + fabricating new parts, splitting open blocks to re-apply the sealant on peoples cars and replacing the RMS multiple times. This is all incredibly expensive. Porsche is not a company that would do that if the 996TT seal was the simple answer.

I wonder if its something complex around crank case pressure that has changed vs the 996 GT3 engine which didn't have this problem in any noticeable numbers.

They do also specify ridiculously thin oils for a car thats going on track so I guess that makes it more likely to seep.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DanH
Honestly, that makes absolutely no sense. They are spending money designing + fabricating new parts, splitting open blocks to re-apply the sealant on peoples cars and replacing the RMS multiple times. This is all incredibly expensive. Porsche is not a company that would do that if the 996TT seal was the simple answer.
It may not make sense, but SharkWerks, GMG and other have fixed the RMS leak by doing exactly what was described even when the dealerships could not. Besides, Porsche is not spending too much on repairs because they are just telling customers that it is "normal."

Old 08-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
We have serviced dozes of cars with RMS leaks and repaired the issues even when dealers have not been able to.

There is no "problem" with the engine or car other than the pesky seal itself.

If you are considering a car that has a RMS leak its not a big deal especially if you can negotiate the price of repair into the price of the car, mostly all my customers have upgraded the clutch when having the RMS seal serviced.

Happy to help if you need some advice on the issue feel free to drop me a line.

Our satelite race shop (17,000 sq ft) is located in Mentor Ohio and the work could be done there if needed.
So Fabryce, what is GMG's solution ? 996TT seal ?
Please advise
thanks
Bill