Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RMS leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 PM
sprinter is infamous around these parts
GT3 RMS leak

Would anyone here buy a 997 GT3 if you knew it had an incurable RMS leak? And if so, how much would that alter the price you would pay? Thanks

Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
they are usually not incurable if you get an independent that will install the 996tt rms...the factory one that the stealers install will not solve the problem...if it is a case issue then pass...

Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 PM
pvgolfer is infamous around these parts
Isn't the RMS leak really just an annoyance, a few drops of oil on the garage floor every few days? Or, is it a larger leak with performance, durability issues? I've read that it's not necessarily worth fixing unless you need to change your clutch anyway. What exactly is the impact of this RMS leak?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I think the leaks have to be evaluated on an individual basis...one may be a few drops and another may be a serious problem

Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 AM
YellowDragon is infamous around these parts
To me those very few drips are just minor annoyance. If left undriven for months, you'll see few drips on the floor. If driven at least once or every other week, then no trace at all (probably got evaporated even before it hits the floor) - at least from my experience. I'd rather deal with it than have the engine dropped to get it fixed with no 100% guarantee. I've read that someone tried to get the RMS fixed numerous times with no solid conclusion. With engine dropped so many times for the fix, I am really concern for its integrity and effects on drivetrain afterwards. If I were to buy another mk1 GT3, I'd choose one WITHOUT any RMS repair history.

BTW, I don't believe RMS issue will affect the price at all.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 AM
sws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think you have to drop the engine to replace the RMS. I think these days, they drop the tranny and replace in position. There are pics somewhere of how it's done.

I, for one, wouldn't touch a car that had several repeated leaks. But that's me. I'd keep looking. If there others like me, who don't want to deal with RMS, then by definition, there is a smaller market for cars with problems. Hence, it may affect price.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
We have serviced dozes of cars with RMS leaks and repaired the issues even when dealers have not been able to.

There is no "problem" with the engine or car other than the pesky seal itself.

If you are considering a car that has a RMS leak its not a big deal especially if you can negotiate the price of repair into the price of the car, mostly all my customers have upgraded the clutch when having the RMS seal serviced.

Happy to help if you need some advice on the issue feel free to drop me a line.

Our satelite race shop (17,000 sq ft) is located in Mentor Ohio and the work could be done there if needed.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:32 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
rms is a design issue, not just a batch of 'bad' gt3/rs. if it hasn't leak yet, at some point it will leak. i would prefer one that had a leak, 'fixed', and hasn't leaked for months/years. if car has multiple records of rms repair, just means owner is very attentive about it and took it to dealer for repair. i mean seriously, would you rather buy one that's been leaking for months/years but owner never got it fixed or would you rather have one with 2 or more rms repair records and hasn't leaked for months/years. of course, naturally most prefer one that has not leaked at all but no guarantees it won't leak either. remember porsche has no real solution. although, others are saying TT seal works but porsche is not going to use it. i would put in TT seal if i was out of warranty with rms leak
if the one you're looking at currently has a leak, i'd price factor labor to fix (assuming out of warranty) then put in rs lwfw/pulley at same time. if it has had rms repair record and no longer leaking, no price discount.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
No big deal at all, just switch it out to the 996TT seal & everything will be fine.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
breadslicers is infamous around these parts
You have to love Porsche for calling an engineering design mistake a "normal" condition. Obviously they have no solution so they pass it to the customer as "normal". Then they should put it in the manual if it's normal. None of my other 15 cars leak oil as "normal". My stove works all the time, my refrigerator works all the time, etc. Weak engineering, and what happens in the future when the car is out of warranty and there is 1 quart of oil on the floor then who pays..................

Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
pvgolfer is infamous around these parts
Since I am in the market to buy a 997.1 GT3, I want to make sure I understand this...
With a RMS leak, the worst possible scenario is a couple of drops of oil on the floor, right??? No harm to the engine as long as the oil level is checked/maintained every few weeks?
I haven't heard of any catastrophic side effect of the RMS leak, only just the inconvenience of the few drops. Am I correct here?
Replacement of the seal does not guarantee a long term solution.
If an owner chooses, he/she may take the car in to have the seal replaced under warranty. Any dealers refusing to attempt a seal replacement?
If a car has not exhibited a leak in 5000 miles, could the problem surface for a new owner?
Any clarifications appreciated!

Signed,
A "future?" gt3 owner

Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 PM
breadslicers is infamous around these parts
Gt3 rms 997

It's the best car Porsche makes, for all around driving and track use I think. That said, it seems all will have an RMS leak for which Porsche has no solution. True no harm to the engine, as very little oil leaks out. It's a nuisance nothing more. Porsche says the leak will come back if you change the seal, I can atest to that. Mine took about 3 months. Who knows about warranty in the future, mine is under warranty now but I am going to meet with Porsche to talk about leaking in the future and warranty work if the leak get's worse. From what I know it seems a matter of time for this engine, not if. All said you'll love the car, buy one.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 PM
sjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to all
My 996 GT3 leaked at 3,000 miles but the leak was really minor, I never had to add oil to the engine. The leak started right after a dealer performed the annual service. I decided to have the leak repaired at the same dealer, within 60 days the leak started again. The amount of oil that leaked was again very minor and my car would not leak at all for extended periods. As others have said, the leaks are the result of a design issue and limited use seems to increase the chance of oil seeping past the seal. There have been many posts on the subject, the seeping occurs when the vacum between the block and seal is weakened. Non use causes the seal to weaken versus every day use where a vacum holds the seal tighter. When I sold the 996 GT3 it still leaked. I have had my RS for 22 months still dry "knock on wood". The most disappointing aspect of the RMS problem was how Porsche decided how to handle remedy. Instead of using their factory engineers to come up with a reliable repair they sent out corporate dribble "letters" stating it was the owners responsibility to drive our cars or oil seepage would be normal and not considered a design defect. This language is actually included in the owners manual. The GT3, all versions, are great/fun cars, I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by sjgreco; 08-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
DanH is infamous around these parts
Can someone explain to me why Porshe aren't fitting the 996 TT part themselves if thats all there is to it? They are not stupid and they seem to be creating new revisions to try and cope without just popping in this legacy item.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
sjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DanH
Can someone explain to me why Porshe aren't fitting the 996 TT part themselves if thats all there is to it? They are not stupid and they seem to be creating new revisions to try and cope without just popping in this legacy item.
Thats a really good question. I wonder what seal is being used on the new GT3's and RS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 RMS leak