Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Carrera GT blows Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:28 AM
Orli930 is infamous around these parts
Carrera GT blows Clutch

I was at "The Collection" yesterday with Xico and Shank. We went to the service area to take a look at Xico's car, while in the service area I noticed a Carrera GT on a lift and the engine on a stand next to the car. It seems that the owner of "The Collection" lent his CGT to a friend for the weekend and he blew out the clutch.....OUCH!!!!!!!

Total repair cost 25K.

Morale of the story, dont let anyone drive your car.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:33 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Re: Carrera GT blows Clutch

Originally posted by Orli930
I was at "The Collection" yesterday with Xico and Shank. We went to the service area to take a look at Xico's car, while in the service area I noticed a Carrera GT on a lift and the engine on a stand next to the car. It seems that the owner of "The Collection" lent his CGT to a friend for the weekend and he blew out the clutch.....OUCH!!!!!!!

Total repair cost 25K.

Morale of the story, dont let anyone drive your car.
How on earth did he blow this clutch so quickly. I thought they were supposed to handle 23000 RPM and be bulletproof? Are they more like the "revolutionary" PCCBs?

Old 11-05-2004, 03:33 AM
seh1 is infamous around these parts
clutches

funny how every story you hear about blown clutches the car was lent to a friend or family member...

Old 11-05-2004, 03:38 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Re: clutches

Originally posted by seh1
funny how every story you hear about blown clutches the car was lent to a friend or family member...
Yeah, and it's so wierd since the clutch is so easy to get used to.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 AM
aracerx is infamous around these parts
when in the "hinterland" doing a test day for GT owners, all they stressed was to be careful with the clutch engagement/disengagement; they seemed very sensitive about it. That said, I've now driven a few CGT's and have had little/no issue with clutch, neither have the owners! Me-thinks, CGT borrower may have to get a lie detector test....hmmm-havefundeclutchdrivecgt-Mark

Old 11-05-2004, 03:49 AM
Who, really knows what happened. How hard does someone have to drive to blow a clutch in a weekend in a CGT that has on 600 miles.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:51 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Who, really knows what happened. How hard does someone have to drive to blow a clutch in a weekend in a CGT that has on 600 miles.

pretty hard I'd think

Old 11-05-2004, 03:56 AM
blowing clutches

orli,

how "hard" will it need to be driven?

hard is a broad term. i'm pretty sure i can blow a perfectly good clutch, including the cgt, in your driveway if you give me the whole weekend...

something smells burnt,

sean

Old 11-05-2004, 04:01 AM
seh1,

Agreed!

Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 AM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
No warranty on the GT?

Old 11-05-2004, 04:13 AM
warranty

clutches and warranty have been enemies since the early ice age...

clearly they can be materially flawed as with any other product, but since they require a certain finesse, for lack of better word, to operate, it is easy to empathise with the manufacturers as well.

some people you just can't protect yourself against, and you certainly can't agree to indemnify them against themselves.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
I've blown out the "ball joint" from power shifting in my car twice and they've replaced it no questions asked.

I don't know what the part actually is, but you can't shift it into gear without it, and it doesn't like power shifting!

Old 11-05-2004, 09:48 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
ouch! that really hurts!

Old 11-05-2004, 07:37 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Whats 25K betweeen friends eh?

Old 11-05-2004, 07:41 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Probably safe to say that whoever drove it was probably a jackass. I can see the possibilty of a darwin candidate revving it to 8000 and dropping the cluth...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT blows Clutch