GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT/GT3 RS 20HP Difference; How?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 AM
SuperchargedRS4 is infamous around these parts
GT/GT3 RS 20HP Difference; How?

Guys,

Tried to find this info on line but I didnt' see anything regarding the power difference between the standard GT3 and the GT3 RS (MK1 997) I understand the RS has the lightweight flywheel but thats not making more power, what is? Also is the redline higher on the RS?

I'm not enjoying the GT2 as much as I thought I would, normaly aspirated high revving motors is in my blood

Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GT2ornot
Guys,

Tried to find this info on line but I didnt' see anything regarding the power difference between the standard GT3 and the GT3 RS (MK1 997) I understand the RS has the lightweight flywheel but thats not making more power, what is? Also is the redline higher on the RS?

I'm not enjoying the GT2 as much as I thought I would, normaly aspirated high revving motors is in my blood

I didn't think that there is a difference in power between the .1 gt3 and RS, however, there is a 15 hp difference between the .2 gt3 and RS. I believe that the increase in power is due in part, and quite possibly entirely, to an improved intake system on the .2 RS.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM
By .2 are you talking about the 2010s? They also have more displacement....

Could have sworn the original 997 GT3 RS had 435HP.....

Edit: I see your reference is in the power difference of the MK2s not the overall displacement difference between the MK1 and MK2.

Last edited by SuperchargedRS4; 09-06-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Not sure where I was coming up with that higher HP number. Are the cars geared the same/same redline setting as well?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 AM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
997 GT3 MKI and 997 GT3RS MKI Both 415HP, but the rS had the LWFW
997 GT3 MKII has 435HP and the RS has 450HP, had the LWFW, titanium exhaust and maybe more RAM air intake and maybe different tune. Not torque is 317 for both!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if the RAM intake would fit a on a mk1 3.6? For mk1, you can get some hp from full exhaust and ecu upgrades.... you can go from 415 to about 435 or so. I think Ranger was closer to 450. IMO, 450hp is enough. At the track, the challenge of the GT3/RS is in controlling the car through the turns. I feel Porsche needs to do more to balance the handling stock. Before upgrading my entire suspension, I had 2 of the most reputable shops in SoCal do alignments/corner balance. The car still had horrible snap/bump oversteer and rear was uneasy during heavy breaking. I let several pro race drivers drive it and they agreed the stock suspension was crap. So I got every conceivable suspension upgrade and then had a race-oriented shop do an alignment and finally it's balanced and on rails. Rear is planted, no understeer and very predictable at the limit. The car now instills confidence and makes you push yourself further and further. Most here can't even handle 415hp at a track, more less do anything with 450hp (obviously we can all handle more hp in a drag race). In the turns, hp is worthless, it's the suspension and the driver. The mk2 RS is a much better stock platform for which to start (3.8 vs. 3.6), but expect a lot of additional time and resources to get it handle like it should.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I wonder if the RAM intake would fit a on a mk1 3.6? For mk1, you can get some hp from full exhaust and ecu upgrades.... you can go from 415 to about 435 or so. I think Ranger was closer to 450. IMO, 450hp is enough. At the track, the challenge of the GT3/RS is in controlling the car through the turns. I feel Porsche needs to do more to balance the handling stock. Before upgrading my entire suspension, I had 2 of the most reputable shops in SoCal do alignments/corner balance. The car still had horrible snap/bump oversteer and rear was uneasy during heavy breaking. I let several pro race drivers drive it and they agreed the stock suspension was crap. So I got every conceivable suspension upgrade and then had a race-oriented shop do an alignment and finally it's balanced and on rails. Rear is planted, no understeer and very predictable at the limit. The car now instills confidence and makes you push yourself further and further. Most here can't even handle 415hp at a track, more less do anything with 450hp (obviously we can all handle more hp in a drag race). In the turns, hp is worthless, it's the suspension and the driver. The mk2 RS is a much better stock platform for which to start (3.8 vs. 3.6), but expect a lot of additional time and resources to get it handle like it should.
Excellent post. Comments very well said.
For the GT3/RS suspension and handling is king.
Utilizing and excellent headers / exhaust system from FVD and tuning my 997 GT3 made 392 rwhp ~ 450 bhp.
btw am currently working with German builder M&M through FVD to have equal length long tube headers developed for the GT3/RS.
Different designs and tubular diameters have been tested for max power.

Ranger

Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 AM
YSS
YSS is infamous around these parts
keen to understand what suspension mods you made if you can share?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by YSS
keen to understand what suspension mods you made if you can share?
see here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...agunaDude.html Thanks.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 09-07-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
akshon is infamous around these parts
you have any noise issues with those components?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 PM
due to all metal bushings/joints Toyos resonate more than normal. otherwise, it's a dream. feedback like running barefoot. FYI, if you are planning on doing all the suspension mods, be sure to also get fixed-back 996 GT3 or euro-spec 997 seats and rear cage. With the g forces in the turns, you will need to be planted in the seat. Cage helps if you mess up.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 AM
OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !
Just got the GMG WC suspension components in my GT3. Handling is definitely improved! Not as bumpy as I expected either, but there is definitely more road noise over bumps and I think they added at least 20lbs of weight. Worth the added noise for me. Another reason to have a serious exhaust.

Last edited by OmahaGT; 09-10-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 AM
SpeedGeek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT2ornot
Guys,

The 2010 RS makes 15 hp more than the 2010 GT3. The differences are more extensive than just induction / exhaust. The RS engine has a higher compression ratio and makes its peak power at higher rpm (7900 vs 7600). So there must be internal engine differences.

Peak torque and redline are the same for both cars. However, it's possible the RS sacrifices some low-end torque to gain the stronger upper band.

The 2010 RS also has shorter gearing than the GT3 in the first 5 gears (and of course it has a LWFW). All-in-all, power delivery of the two cars will probably be quite different, reflecting their respective street / track bias much more than the 997.1 cars.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Similar to my experience with the GT3RS. The stock suspension is tricky in braking and cornering at high speed.