Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

One week into my 997 GT3 and new to 6speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
One week into my 997 GT3 and new to 6speed

Love the car always wanted one since their launch, drove a SharkWerks Cayman RS350 for a few years, interesting platform but always knew I NEEDED the GT3. This car is just impressive, haven’t even turned the PCM on yet coz I just love the sound the engine makes.

One question, what’s up with all the rattles?

BTW are there any GT3 track days/meets in the Bay Area?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I would like to hear your comparison between the 2 cars. Everyone says the Cayman has better handling because of the mid-engine design. Were you looking for more power or just wanted to be in a rear engine Porsche? Even though I have a turbo, I'm kind of fascinated by the Cayman because of the handling aspect.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Congrats!! Wellcome to the club!!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hey Marc so good to see you on here too... we're a good bunch (and weird!). You're going to love, love and love this 3. See you soon:P!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
I would like to hear your comparison between the 2 cars. Everyone says the Cayman has better handling because of the mid-engine design. Were you looking for more power or just wanted to be in a rear engine Porsche? Even though I have a turbo, I'm kind of fascinated by the Cayman because of the handling aspect.
Landjet...

It is true the Cayman S is well balanced and could keep up with the 911 around the curves, even with the lower HP. However, it was very tame as a stock car and therefore I had to get Alex at Sherkwerks to make it into something fun, which he did superbly. It feels like Porsche purposely calmed the Cayman down so not to compete with the 911. Now a GT3 on a Cayman chassis would be the ultimate in my view But I don’t think Porsche can ever move from the 911 format.

The reason I bought the GT3 is because I needed it the way a women needs diamonds . It's just a great beast and yes I wanted something with 400HP plus before we are all forced to drive the Toyota Prius to save the planet!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Marc so good to see you on here too... we're a good bunch (and weird!). You're going to love, love and love this 3. See you soon:P!

As always Alex it's just a question of time. I already have my shopping cart full of your goodies

Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Welcome Marc - congrats on your new beast! Beautiful!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:26 PM
rwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to behold
Finally....A Prius worth owning....

Originally Posted by marcw
Landjet...

It is true the Cayman S is well balanced and could keep up with the 911 around the curves, even with the lower HP. However, it was very tame as a stock car and therefore I had to get Alex at Sherkwerks to make it into something fun, which he did superbly. It feels like Porsche purposely calmed the Cayman down so not to compete with the 911. Now a GT3 on a Cayman chassis would be the ultimate in my view But I don’t think Porsche can ever move from the 911 format.

The reason I bought the GT3 is because I needed it the way a women needs diamonds . It's just a great beast and yes I wanted something with 400HP plus before we are all forced to drive the Toyota Prius to save the planet!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:48 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwgrif
Finally....A Prius worth owning....
Bet you never see that written again!

Congrats on the new GT3, I hope to join the club soon.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by marcw

BTW are there any GT3 track days/meets in the Bay Area?
yes -- check the de forum on rennlist and the GT3 forum -- most of the regulars over their are tracking and there are a lot of guys from NorCal

Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by PJS
yes -- check the de forum on rennlist and the GT3 forum -- most of the regulars over their are tracking and there are a lot of guys from NorCal

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
Welcome =) from the the crew @ Rennsport-One

Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
"One question, what’s up with all the rattles?"

tell more about the rattles.

I did not sign up for a 125K rattle trap.

That thing better be tight as a drum for that kind of money.

-Troy

Last edited by Glock Guru; 09-23-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM
darkw1sh is infamous around these parts
I bet the car is fun dont burn the clutch!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
"One question, what’s up with all the rattles?"

tell more about the rattles.

I did not sign up for a 125K rattle trap.

That thing better be tight as a drum for that kind of money.

-Troy
If you talk to most GT3 owners or in fact a number of 997 owners there are several complaints about rattles. My car came out of the dealer today with the left rear 1/4 panel window tightened. It created a crazy buzz. Porsche's line is the GT3 is a race car and you will hear rattles AND Porsche states that in the car warranty manual, the rattles are not necessary covered. Of course, Porsche fixed mine but they seem to be somewhat reluctant to find the other smaller rattles. If you get one show them the check you wrote for the car and that will most likely motivate them

I owned a Cayman S before and tracked down a bunch of them and solved them myself. The 997 seems tighter but I still expect to hunt a few down and solve myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One week into my 997 GT3 and new to 6speed