Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

More negative camber = faster spin at Thunderhill :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996flt6
In your RS- u can hit 143-144 mph just before t1 at thill provided u throttled early before t15 and brake late on t1 provided your lsd is functional. If your lsd is kaput invest in a Guard LSD- u wont go back. Your car has more mechanical grip then the 6gt3 so a 40/60 is all u need. If u go more aggressive have fun driving that thing in the rain. I have a 80/80 Guards unit- couldn't drive more then 55 mph in lite standing water. Mike
I will pee my pants if I hit 140 mph and brake late before turn 1 at TH lol. I am still an advance Novice when it comes to track. Will take my time to learn and enjoy my RS ... I am trying very hard not to scare the living day light out of myself

Thanks for the info on LSD. I know next to nothing about them so 40/60 vs 80/80 doesn't mean much to me .... would you mind shed some more light on the topic of LSD?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
nice vid!! looks like fun. i see they have the windmills installed now.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Md11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really nice
I bought my guard LSD shortly before the business was sold to a company in Colorado I believe (gtgears@yahoo.com).
You may be lucky and the new owners are as terrific in giving you all the advice you possibly need in determining which setup you want as well as educate you in general terms regarding LSD's.
I got the 40/60 setup and my car feels super tight.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 AM
996flt6 is infamous around these parts
In layman's terms- lsd means "limited slip differential" for those unknowing(meaning u). All 911's are rear engined based and thusly all the weight is in the back meaning motor outwards and tranny . Having said that a lsd is so important for our chassis giving our rear engine layout. Lsd limits wheelspin on the inside wheel and gives traction most to the wheel that needs most traction on acceleration being outer wheel and on most important lockup on deceleration which provides stability on braking. All that means is we can break later and accelerate later wo pause. U heard with 911's slow in fast out it really means brake as late as u can and gas as fast as u can with an lsd. the numbers 40/60 only represent the lockup values but stock lsd's on out cars will will have a lower preload and lock at less then less then spec so u get wheelspin neway. I'm a huge fan of guard transmission as the preloads are much higher or equal to the 40/60, 50/80 or 80/80- our stock lsd's will still have wheelspin under track condtitions. Your car can do an easy 2:04 on mpsc's- it's real easy. Mike

Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Also the peeing in your pants thing : ) it's the passenger riding with u not u : ). U get that straight from now on then - NEXT!!! : ). Mike

Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Thanks for the advice on LSD! I will make sure to wear diaper next time when I am booking down turn 1 at 145+ mph

Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Edwin814 is infamous around these parts
i'll be the passenger next time!!!

i used to be able to hit 145mph on front straight in my dinan s3-r m3, then brake hard for turn 1. that was fun! now i can barely get up to 130 in my e30 m3

Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
I'm still trying to figure out why Porsche doesn't use a Guard LSD in all GT3/RS's. Porsche already uses Guard as a motorsport supplier with Porsche part #'s.

I've already mentally spent $3K on the LSD and don't even have a GT3 yet. lol.

Last edited by Mvez; 09-29-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by Edwin814
i'll be the passenger next time!!!

i used to be able to hit 145mph on front straight in my dinan s3-r m3, then brake hard for turn 1. that was fun! now i can barely get up to 130 in my e30 m3
Hey Edwin, I did not know you join 6speed since 2007 .... are you getting ready for a GT3?

I am serious when I said I get scare going down turn 1 faster than 130 mph. My RS feel really lose in the back under hard braking - tilting the rear wing up all the way helps .... but I still hate my PCCB. It is still unpredictable as far as how it bites I may have to switch to my steel cup rotors before next track event

Originally Posted by Mvez
I'm still trying to figure out why Porsche doesn't use a Guard LSD in all GT3/RS's. Porsche already uses Guard as a motorsport supplier with Porsche part #'s.

I've already mentally spent $3K on the LSD and don't even have a GT3 yet. lol.
Oh man .... Now I found out the hard way. I did not know about our crappy OEM LSD. They are seriously expensive to replace. The club LSD cost $2500 and GT2 cup LSD is about $3250 not including $600 + of labor to install. What is Dr. Ing thinking when he decided to put a Prius LSD in a GT3?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Edwin814 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey Edwin, I did not know you join 6speed since 2007 .... are you getting ready for a GT3?
i don't think i have the deep pocket to track a GT3RS

so is your LSD shot already?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
If u want cheap way with lsd u can just rebuild the old one with guard internals or cup internal parts from motorsports granted Guard casing is to die for if u ever seen one in person. For your experience maybe that's the ticket- I don't think you can grenade your case that easily but hell if u can afford a rs why go cheap : ). Here's a pic Guard gt2 lsd vs stock left to rt.

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
If u want cheap way with lsd u can just rebuild the old one with guard internals or cup internal parts from motorsports granted Guard casing is to die for if u ever seen one in person. For your experience maybe that's the ticket- I don't think you can grenade your case that easily but hell if u can afford a rs why go cheap : ). Here's a pic Guard gt2 lsd vs stock left to rt.

hey mike what have you been up to? haven't seen you the last 2 ncrc events.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey Joe I was there at ncrc aug 29/30 but race 1(sat) after greenflag hamfisted into 3rd gear and yanked shiftlink off cable. Oh well **** happens. Was running V710's at the time. Only positive I matched my laptime of 2:02 on mpsc after 3rd session over the top. I think I coulda gone in the mid 2:00.xxx- next time : ). Mike

Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Hey Joe I was there at ncrc aug 29/30 but race 1(sat) after greenflag hamfisted into 3rd gear and yanked shiftlink off cable. Oh well **** happens. Was running V710's at the time. Only positive I matched my laptime of 2:02 on mpsc after 3rd session over the top. I think I coulda gone in the mid 2:00.xxx- next time : ). Mike
yanked it off? you're gonna have to stop workin' out.
i thought i saw your car parked (it didn't move) on 8/30 but didn't see you around. hope you got it all sorted out. when's the next one? so the kumhos are faster huh. did you trailer the tires to the track? i'm about due for a new set of tires.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Nope drove up with them on. Went back like 9:30 am Sunday and reinstalled the shiftlink back onto cable well at least to drive it back home. Removing the center console and cd holder was a pita so now car has none of that stuff on. I'm going to strip the car someday. Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More negative camber = faster spin at Thunderhill :)