Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

More negative camber = faster spin at Thunderhill :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 PM
996flt6 is infamous around these parts
Next trackday is nov 6 with tmr at sears as well as with nasa nov 7/8 sears hopefully. Kuhmos were great- heats up fast but 1st session a wash hot temps went close to 40 and not so grippy at those pressures. I 'm comfortable at 31-32 hot with kuhmos/mpscs.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks for the advice on LSD! I will make sure to wear diaper next time when I am booking down turn 1 at 145+ mph
The best thing you could do now would be to hire a driving coach for a day at Thunderhill. It doesn't do much good to keep practicing laps over and over again without input from someone who really knows what they are doing. I got hooked up with a professional coach at Thunderhill a few years ago, and now its a whole lot less work to go a whole lot faster (and safer). No affiliation with the coach, but PM me if you want his name and phone number.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Md11skipper
I bought my guard LSD shortly before the business was sold to a company in Colorado I believe (gtgears@yahoo.com).
You may be lucky and the new owners are as terrific in giving you all the advice you possibly need in determining which setup you want as well as educate you in general terms regarding LSD's.
I got the 40/60 setup and my car feels super tight.
I communicate with the new owner Matt extensively both by phone and e-mail on LSD selection. He was super helpful. From what I can gather, Guard transmission is still the same high quality company and have not lost that "mom and pop" shop feel which can be hard to come by now days

I am sold on the GT2 LSD but not decided on the ratio - 40/60, 50/80 or what ever they come with. I still have a-lot to learn. Now if I could only figure out a way to explain this new expenditure to wife. Honey, I tripped on my RS and my credit card flew out and hit my LSD that's why we can't go to Hawaii for Thanksgiving lol .....

Originally Posted by Edwin814
i don't think i have the deep pocket to track a GT3RS

so is your LSD shot already?
I have a burning hole in my pocket lol

The crack dealer don't even want to take a sniff of my LSD - it's that bad

Originally Posted by 996flt6
If u want cheap way with lsd u can just rebuild the old one with guard internals or cup internal parts from motorsports granted Guard casing is to die for if u ever seen one in person. For your experience maybe that's the ticket- I don't think you can grenade your case that easily but hell if u can afford a rs why go cheap : ). Here's a pic Guard gt2 lsd vs stock left to rt.
I gotta do this LSD mod ONCE and do it right. GT2 LSD it is

Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Great thread and info on alignment, LSD... and driving coach.... I am learning!!! Love this forum...

Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Harold
Great thread and info on alignment, LSD... and driving coach.... I am learning!!! Love this forum...
Glad you can benefit from some of our conversation. Hope to see your RS on the track someday

Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Go 40/60 u could always ramp up later to 50/80. But 50/80 would be great on track but u have to be aggressive with it to fully utilize it ie late late late braking and gas gas early early- LOL. Wouldn't recommend 80/80 scary in the rain. Mike

Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Go 40/60 u could always ramp up later to 50/80. But 50/80 would be great on track but u have to be aggressive with it to fully utilize it ie late late late braking and gas gas early early- LOL. Wouldn't recommend 80/80 scary in the rain. Mike
I am getting there as far as late braking and early gas out. I think I am going with 50/80 GT2 LSD. I really don't want want to remove my tranny the second time just to change the ratio. Is 50/80 set up OK in the rain for street driving?

I wonder if stock Z06 LSD is more robust than our OEM LSD. I had a hard time keeping up with couple Z06 granted they had slicks. They sure are doing the late braking and early gas out on every turn

ZO6 2:04.9 lap at TH

Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
2:04 on a Z06 on slicks is slow. 171 mph turns 1:59 over the top and I turn 2:02 over the top on Mpsc's(both 6gt3's) 2:04 is a good time though at thill on your next trackday with a functional LSD : ). Mike

Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Also with a dead LSD your laptimes be up 3-5 seconds per lap at thill. Been there done that so get it done(LSD) and be amazed. Mike

Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 PM
2:04 on a Z06 on slicks is slow. 171 mph turns 1:59 over the top and I turn 2:02 over the top on Mpsc's(both 6gt3's) 2:04 is a good time though at thill on your next trackday with a functional LSD : ). Mike
The video above was from someone that only track for about a year. I think that is amazingly good and the right car and right tires helped a-lot. 170 mph at turn one is just insane! Your time at TH of 2:02 is really good and that is on MPSC which I dislike with a passion.

Here is a vidoe of someone in a 6GT3 doing 1:59 at TH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8SBQGLFPtc

Also with a dead LSD your laptimes be up 3-5 seconds per lap at thill. Been there done that so get it done(LSD) and be amazed. Mike
Yes, I would like to have functional LSD as soon as financially permit. That is one expensive piece of metal.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:37 AM
That youtube video is Dave potter aka 171mph aka id name at rennlist( I mentioned him on previous post- the 1:59 guy) . Superfast and got *****. I run with him at ncrc race group- same class(GT1)- I never win : (. So with reference to zo6 guy- he only started a year ago in this car and never done ne trackdays before? or he's done trackdays before and then the z06. Which Zo6 neway- new or old? New one's -equal driver he'll roast ne porsche gt3 new or old given right tires and brakes-suspension he'll walk away big time. Mike

Old 10-03-2009, 01:28 AM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Next trackday is nov 6 with tmr at sears as well as with nasa nov 7/8 sears hopefully. Kuhmos were great- heats up fast but 1st session a wash hot temps went close to 40 and not so grippy at those pressures. I 'm comfortable at 31-32 hot with kuhmos/mpscs.
dang 3 days in a row hardcore! i haven't ran with nasa. heard they have traffic like the 101. but probably different for race group.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Joe the advanced grp hpde 4 is great grp- never been in a logjam but crazy stuff can happen. For some reason no hpde 4 that weekend for NASA so next grp is hpde 3 int/adv grp u can only pass on the straights and they open up more passing on certain spots as time goes( this grp u can see more stupid stuff). Yes there are logjams in this grp u just have to pass 3-5 cars when u have the opportunity but teaches u alot about car control and situational awareness(my trackdays started with Nasa 8 years ago in my 99 996 and 83 gti). U only get 4 20 minute sessions though. Mike

Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Joe the advanced grp hpde 4 is great grp- never been in a logjam but crazy stuff can happen. For some reason no hpde 4 that weekend for NASA so next grp is hpde 3 int/adv grp u can only pass on the straights and they open up more passing on certain spots as time goes( this grp u can see more stupid stuff). Yes there are logjams in this grp u just have to pass 3-5 cars when u have the opportunity but teaches u alot about car control and situational awareness(my trackdays started with Nasa 8 years ago in my 99 996 and 83 gti). U only get 4 20 minute sessions though. Mike
yah, you would have been a LOT faster by now if you didn't start with NASA first. and you will have more stamina... 4 20 min sessions. **** i barely warm up by then.
8 30 min session would be good

Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
2:01:16 over the top
stock GT3 with R888
granted i had potter in front as rabbit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More negative camber = faster spin at Thunderhill :)