Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Projected 2 year depreciation on 2010 Gt3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
k4site is infamous around these parts
You also loose the 10k in sales tax

Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
projecting depreciation is like asking your financial advisor for advises...you want to hear what you like to hear, and hope that bad thing will not happen...

Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
projecting depreciation is like asking your financial advisor for advises...you want to hear what you like to hear, and hope that bad thing will not happen...

True dat!

My advisor told me that I'd make money on my new GT3.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by k4site
You also loose the 10k in sales tax
You get some of that back when you trade it; at least in NYS.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
It will be worth what you are willing to let it go for as long as there is a buyer that is willing to pay that price, period. When I bought my 6GT3 I know I paid a premium price but from what was available at the time it was and still is a premium car. I have no interest in buying a newer version and if the day comes that I do decide to sell the market will be what it will be and I hope that there will still be buyers like myself.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:07 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
I would say 10-12k. Assume 12 so if its less you feel great. If you assume 10 and its 12 you will want to go crazy. Also look at the whole picture and say to yourself do I want the car enought that if I lose 5-10k more than I thought I would I would still be happy? If you answer yes then get the car if not maybe wait to buy one in a year or two used when they depreciate like the .1 cars.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:30 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Keep in mind depreciation is only half the cost - so figure $30K per year based on my own first hand experience over 3 years:

a) $40K in depreciation and taxes
b) $10K tires, new set of tires every 5000 miles - $1500 a set
c) $5K in brakes - new rotors every 10000 miles - $1500 a set
d) $10K in insurance
3) $10K in fuel (about 11MPG was my average)
e) $5K+ in misc.

Misc. cost is off track or off road excursions/scratches/etc which are almost unavoidable. Overall worth every penny if you have the time to drive 10,000 miles a year - just for fun - otherwise it makes no sense to own a GT3 all. It will become a garage queen as most of them end up - and reason I didn't replace mine.

----
BTW people like GMG can shed light on the real cost of a GT3 racing program - I am guessing is 4x this - so real bargain actually again if you have the time.

Last edited by quartermile; 10-17-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
You guys think the economy is going to get better?

Ranger

Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
me&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Given their MSRP disparities, does anyone find it interesting that one can apparently get similar age and mileage 996 GT2's and 996 GT3's for nearly comparable amounts?
Don't forget that the 996GT2 has that whole "widow-maker" stigma...

What's everyone's thoughts on the 997.1 GT3RS... safer bet than a non-RS car, or no different?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by me&you
Don't forget that the 996GT2 has that whole "widow-maker" stigma...

What's everyone's thoughts on the 997.1 GT3RS... safer bet than a non-RS car, or no different?

I would think that depreciation on a high mileage RS would be far worse than non RS given that this is a track dedicated car and not significantly quicker than a regular GT3 minus the stripes and a few minor suspension mods. Certainly the standard 997.2 will be faster than any previous RS. All these cars will transform old school the minute the PDK GT3 comes out.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by me&you
My thought is everyone will be happy with any GT3 or RS in his garage. Driving will be no different on the street as most cannot reach the full capacity of the car.

Having said that, some GT3 owners may wish to upgrade or add an RS to his collection, while not a lot of RS owner will have that thought. You know what I mean.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by quartermile
I would think that depreciation on a high mileage RS would be far worse than non RS given that this is a track dedicated car and not significantly quicker than a regular GT3 minus the stripes and a few minor suspension mods. Certainly the standard 997.2 will be faster than any previous RS. All these cars will transform old school the minute the PDK GT3 comes out.

What do people want from the RS? C'mon, it has much more than a "few minor suspension mods". The suspension mods alone are far from minor.

And, there will always be a market for a manual GT3; call them old school, whatever, they'll still be the weapon of choice for many.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by 911dev
What do people want from the RS? C'mon, it has much more than a "few minor suspension mods". The suspension mods alone are far from minor.

And, there will always be a market for a manual GT3; call them old school, whatever, they'll still be the weapon of choice for many.
I think Tim is correct that extracting the performance difference between the two is beyond most. RS is certainly more track ready but less of a daily (not that the GT3 is).

As for PDK it is likley the primary reason the new 997TT is (10 seconds) faster than the old TT at the ring. The difference between RS and GT3 is probably 2-3 seconds. When the PDK ends up in GT3 -with extra power and suspension improvements - it will likely end up as fast a Carrera GT. That would be a bargain say at $135K.

Last edited by quartermile; 10-20-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by quartermile
I think Tim is correct that extracting the performance difference between the two is beyond most. RS is certainly more track ready but less of a daily (not that the GT3 is).

As for PDK it is likley the primary reason the new 997TT is (10 seconds) faster than the old TT at the ring. The difference between RS and GT3 is probably 2-3 seconds. When the PDK ends up in GT3 -with extra power and suspension improvements - it will likely end up as fast a Carrera GT. That would be a bargain say at $135K.
PDK is not worth 10 seconds at the Nurburgring; torque vectoring, suspension improvements, 20 more horsepower, less weight and PDK are worth that.

Anyway, the 991 GT3 with PDK and all may be 7-9 seconds faster than the RS, not that anyone would know it on the street. We might as well have stopped buying better Porsches long ago.

Last edited by 911dev; 10-20-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by 911dev
PDK is not worth 10 seconds at the Nurburgring; torque vectoring, suspension improvements, 20 more horsepower, less weight and PDK are worth that.

Anyway, the 991 GT3 with PDK and all may be 7-9 seconds faster than the RS, not that anyone would know it on the street. We might as well have stopped buying better Porsches long ago.
hmmm torque vectoring vs. throttle steering/LSD/2WD - I am pretty sure I know which is better. The weigh savings and power increase - you can get that from a Titanium exhaust stock turbo is like 70lbs. The only real difference is PDK. That's why I suggested that this is the primary difference.

As far as buying now or later - buy it now and enjoy it I am just using PDK as an excuse because I don't have time to drive anymore. To be honest it was easy to pass on the 997.1 (mostly cosmetic changes compare to 996.2) by 997.2 is really tempting specially in RS form- even as a garage queen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Projected 2 year depreciation on 2010 Gt3?