Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Projected 2 year depreciation on 2010 Gt3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
You all are funny. Predicting two year depreciation is vodoo black magic only for fools and liars, but predicting delta's in NR lap times for cars that don't even exist yet is fine. Tooo funny...

PM me in two years and I'll let you know what my new 997.2 GT3 is worth then and what it cost me.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM
tedean is infamous around these parts
Red face

So I might as well throw in a stupid question. With the economy the way it is, are 2010 GT3's selling for list? I am thinking of upgrading.....

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM
pempem is infamous around these parts
You all are funny. Predicting two year depreciation is vodoo black magic only for fools and liars, but predicting delta's in NR lap times for cars that don't even exist yet is fine. Tooo funny
Hey this is SERIOUS science!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DAVE W
You all are funny. Predicting two year depreciation is vodoo black magic only for fools and liars, but predicting delta's in NR lap times for cars that don't even exist yet is fine. Tooo funny...

PM me in two years and I'll let you know what my new 997.2 GT3 is worth then and what it cost me.

I would imagine that was directed at me for some reason. Hey, I didn't accuse you of practicing voodoo black magic, but if it works for you.

Last edited by 911dev; 10-22-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by quartermile
hmmm torque vectoring vs. throttle steering/LSD/2WD - I am pretty sure I know which is better. The weigh savings and power increase - you can get that from a Titanium exhaust stock turbo is like 70lbs. The only real difference is PDK. That's why I suggested that this is the primary difference.

As far as buying now or later - buy it now and enjoy it I am just using PDK as an excuse because I don't have time to drive anymore. To be honest it was easy to pass on the 997.1 (mostly cosmetic changes compare to 996.2) by 997.2 is really tempting specially in RS form- even as a garage queen.

Well.... "throttle steering/LSD/2WD" may be better, but we're talking about an AWD car. A Ti exhaust may shave 70 lbs, but we're talking about comparing two OEM cars. I just do not believe that PDK is the only real difference and is worth 10 seconds. I GUESS I would have to agree that it would have a major impact (I'm sure you'll be able to sleep tonight knowing that) but that's not saying that the suspension revisions and all of the aforementioned stuff doesn't count .

Anyway, you'll have to excuse me I am late for my voodoo/witchcraft class. It's the beginner one and I don't want to miss it.

Last edited by 911dev; 10-22-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quartermile
I think Tim is correct that extracting the performance difference between the two is beyond most. RS is certainly more track ready but less of a daily (not that the GT3 is).

As for PDK it is likley the primary reason the new 997TT is (10 seconds) faster than the old TT at the ring. The difference between RS and GT3 is probably 2-3 seconds. When the PDK ends up in GT3 -with extra power and suspension improvements - it will likely end up as fast a Carrera GT. That would be a bargain say at $135K.
Agree that the future PDK GT3 will be faster.

But in my last track day, I found that lap time is not everything, but the actual enjoyment of fast driving on the track...I found that the manual shifting contributes significantly to that pleasure, to the point that I'm willing to sacrifice some lap time for that pleasure feeling.

It is like when a couple is trying to conceive to have their babies. The number of babies that they produce is the eventual outcome, but the pleasure comes from the "process" of baby making...

Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911dev
Well.... "throttle steering/LSD/2WD" may be better, but we're talking about an AWD car. A Ti exhaust may shave 70 lbs, but we're talking about comparing two OEM cars. I just do not believe that PDK is the only real difference and is worth 10 seconds. I GUESS I would have to agree that it would have a major impact (I'm sure you'll be able to sleep tonight knowing that) but that's not saying that the suspension revisions and all of the aforementioned stuff doesn't count .

Anyway, you'll have to excuse me I am late for my voodoo/witchcraft class. It's the beginner one and I don't want to miss it.
LOL.Ya my point regarding LSD/2WD is that even at higher speeds a TT effectively becomes a 2WD/LSD how it operates now. "torque vectoring" is a secondary effect - may be makes sense in wet conditions. Having 20hp and being 60lbs lighter are also a secondary effect. The primary effect is the faster shift times from PDK that add up like crazy on a complex track like the ring.

Regarding estimating depreciation well that is in fact a science and determines lease rates in a normal economy. Perhaps voodoo works better these days

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Agree that the future PDK GT3 will be faster.

But in my last track day, I found that lap time is not everything, but the actual enjoyment of fast driving on the track...I found that the manual shifting contributes significantly to that pleasure, to the point that I'm willing to sacrifice some lap time for that pleasure feeling.

It is like when a couple is trying to conceive to have their babies. The number of babies that they produce is the eventual outcome, but the pleasure comes from the "process" of baby making...
i agree with you that is is about enjoyment and not lap times but racing is serious business. I believe pros can shift as quickly and consistently as a robot gearbox. The main reason for sequential gearboxes I think is safety - i.e. keeping your hands on the wheels at all times and avoiding mis-shift errors. I distinctly recall seeing a brand new GT2 ending up in a wall on a track once becase of a bad shift - blown engine I am sure and a twisted wreck - very sad to see but fortunately nobody hurt.

So practice safe sex in you analogy

Last edited by quartermile; 10-22-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Grant is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911dev
You get some of that back when you trade it; at least in NYS.
Yes, but you take significantly less on trade-in than in a private sale so the tax credit is largely offset by receiving less for your car. At least in Colorado, you don't receive any tax credit, unless you trade-in to a dealer (private sales don't qualify).

And in states like CA, you're entirely out of luck with tax credit on trade-in.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM
epicjon is infamous around these parts
12.5%