Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What does your dealer do when he sees a roll cage in your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:53 AM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
What does your dealer do when he sees a roll cage in your car?

I'm thinking seriously about putting a roll cage in my GT3. Once we move out to SoCal in Feb, I'd like to run Willow again. That's a damn fast track for no roll cage. So, I think I need one before we head out there.

Question is, what's the dealer's reaction to a Porsche roll cage in your GT3? Are they going to hassle you on warranty issues? Clearly, I wouldn't expect them to replace brake pads or rotors under warranty if I am doing lots of DEs. (I do not plan to race the car, just DEs.) But, I'd like them to honor power train items in the event that they failed. Like let's say a diff or tranny (assuming it wasn't some botched shift on my part). Or suspension bits.

IMO, the car is made to be tracked. Of course, the trouble is, Porsche may disagree that it is meant to be tracked with the warranty intact... The roll cage would give it away that it was tracked.

Any one have any experience with this? Has a roll cage been an issue when you take your GT3 in for service?

Old 11-23-2004, 07:16 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
The rollbar may imply but does not prove track use. I only get compliments about the bar at my dealership. Now if you show up with numbers on the doors, six point harnesses, and a taped over headlights...

Old 11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
pierre is infamous around these parts
My dealer installed it. No warranty issue at all.
Greetings,
--Pierre

Old 11-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
No problem here.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
You just have to cover up those rolled over signs on the roof

Old 11-23-2004, 04:33 PM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
The more tire marks from ractracks on my car the more fun my dealer has.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Hoehn has performed transmission warranty work and I have a full roll cage.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:46 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The dealer probably makes a notation in your service record. A yr later you come in with a major claim, they'll pull it up, paranoid?
Similar thing happened to a guy I know with a boxter, had the dealer install some aftermarket seats and a harness,they were all buddy-buddy with him. A yr later broke a transmission peice, voided his warranty.
Richard, you out there?

Old 11-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
The dealer probably makes a notation in your service record. A yr later you come in with a major claim, they'll pull it up, paranoid?
Similar thing happened to a guy I know with a boxter, had the dealer install some aftermarket seats and a harness,they were all buddy-buddy with him. A yr later broke a transmission peice, voided his warranty.
Richard, you out there?
Why would you do business with a dealer like that?

I wouldn't, and I'd make sure none of my friends did either.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:00 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I don't, nobody does anymore.(NJ dealer)

Old 11-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Larry Herman is infamous around these parts
My dealer took a big dump in the showroom!

Nah, actually they gave me a $5,000 sponsorship credit at parts & service, and in return I promote them => HOLBERT'S P/A/VW in PA <= (with logos on the car) at track events.

Old 11-26-2004, 06:14 AM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
The dealer has them in the option book so why would there be any warranty issue.

Old 11-26-2004, 10:18 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
KSA, they don't in the USA.

Old 11-26-2004, 01:02 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to put it in a cage. The car is just too much fun on the track to just drive it around on the street. Glad to know that Hoehn has been cool about it, as that is where I will have the car serviced starting in Feb/Mar.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Chronos is infamous around these parts
Question

Does anyone have concerns about cages in cars that are mainly used on the street?

We have a similar debate on a local Porsche board...

Dangers of head injury due to striking the roll cage bars when involved in an accident on the street is a real one. Even with padding I'd think it could be a real danger. I used to volunteer for a charity that was involved with individuals who experienced major head traumas, usually in auto accidents. Hence, my concerns about adding steel pipes inches from one's head.

I've been tempted to pick up a bolt-in solution for those times I run at the track (DE-style events) and then remove it for street driving.

Thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does your dealer do when he sees a roll cage in your car?