GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Lost front spoiler 2nd time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 PM
dxd
dxd is infamous around these parts
Lost front spoiler 2nd time

Not used to the height of the front spoiler and scraped it a bit and it ended up flying off on the highway. Went to the dealer and had a new one installed and when I got home I took a look at it and it only had about 6 screws holding it on. There were several missing and not sure why.

Yesterday while driving down the highway it popped off again! Very annoyed and I am thinking that the missing screws (if they indeed were) made the spoiler less stable. Over $400 a pop and getting old. Anyone else have this problem? I am going to call the dealer tomorrow morning and try to get a discount on the next one since it seems like the tech rushed it and left a few screws off.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 AM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Double sided tape and check the push pins periodically should do the trick.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 AM
ErikG is infamous around these parts
And buy the cup car lips, they are only about $110 or so. Small strip of tape to the front also helps some, prevents any air between the lip and the bumper. At the end of my 996 ownership I driller a few extra holes thru the lip and bumper and put a small rivet in there, but of course there is the risk that I tears your bumper when you hit a big enough obstacle. But it did work for me. Either way, I've probably gone through lips in 17K miles. Always had a bag of extra pushpins in the car too :-)

Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 AM
dxd
dxd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ErikG
And buy the cup car lips, they are only about $110 or so. Small strip of tape to the front also helps some, prevents any air between the lip and the bumper. At the end of my 996 ownership I driller a few extra holes thru the lip and bumper and put a small rivet in there, but of course there is the risk that I tears your bumper when you hit a big enough obstacle. But it did work for me. Either way, I've probably gone through lips in 17K miles. Always had a bag of extra pushpins in the car too :-)
What are the cup car lips and can they be bought throught he Porsche dealer? Thanks for the tips!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Try Fabryce at GMG. They are a sponsor here on 6Speed.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 AM
ErikG is infamous around these parts
GMC would be a good source. Dealer will not sell them, you need someone or some shop that buys from Porsche Motor Sports. (i.e. anyone that runs a cup car). Pick someone that is local, if not the shipping will be more then then lip. Best to pick a race shop where you can pick them up. Most shops buy them 10 or 20 at a time so that they only pay for shipping once.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM
MCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud of
As suggested earlier; definitely go with Cup splitter and two sided tape. Absolutely make sure that all Pins are in to keep air from working against you. Lastly keep an extra splitter and about 2 dozen pins in the garage. Everyone that has had a 996 GT3 has battled this I believe.