Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT3 vs 997TT - track car choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 PM
hughp3 is infamous around these parts
Thanks to all of you for the input, it has given me a allot to think about. I am leaning toward the GT3. Cheers - Hughp3

Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hardracing
So we got a GT3 RS, and it's fully track prepped and we are over 3-4 sec. faster at EVERY Track then we were with the 997TT...
Thanks for the good insight.

I really need this 3-4 seconds advantage in order to keep up with Ed and other GT3 drivers at our local track.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I don't have a GT3 Tim, just a C2S :-(

Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The TT is more akin to your STi and it totally depends on your driving style which would be faster. I know a few guys for reference running 1:34- 1:35 in stock to stockish GT3's. For a stock track car, all factors included, it's the best there is PERIOD. HOWEVER, if you are thinking about adding power FORGETABOUTIT!!! You'll spend a ton, and not get much out of it. The ceiling is right on top of your head in terms of improving the car, not much room to move up. The TT can handle heavy mods, but you have to know how to use it once you get the mods on the car to see the REAL improvements.

For a street car that you can mod and track, the Turbo is the way to go, and that sounds like the direction you're heading. Of course the GT3 will/should still make you a better driver.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 AM
997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light
are you a profissional pilot?
yes, then go to GT3 is a fantastic track car!!!
but you are a normal pilot if like a sports car, then for my personal opinion go to the 997TT!!!
i had 997GT3 RS, black/orange is fantastic car but for a profissional pilot in my hand the 997TT is better, because i normal driver!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brownan
However, with the torque and traction the TT is a highly entertaining tool and one that an equally well driven 997GT3 will have a hard time passing in the curvy sections and while not "left-for-dead" on the straights it will struggle to keep up. .

I have tracked a pretty track modified 600HP 996 Turbo for almost a 1 and half years (30 some track days) and now have a 997GT3 that I have tracked about half as many days.

First of all, my experiences with driving a turbo and drving my GT3 is exactly opposite of the above statement. The Turbo's AWD will definitely make a beginner have faster laps times, and will most likely make them feel a little bit more "secure". That's what it did for me. Better drivers, in lighter cars such as GT3's would come right up on my tail during the corners. Once on a straight away, the Turbos incredible torque and horsepower could start to make me pull away..a little. But track courtesy and common sense would then dictate I give them the point by, and I did. Once they passed me, they usually pulled away from me at a faster rate than their approaching rate to me. Pretty much the reason they took awhile to pass me was that I was more or less a hurtling obstacle down the straights.

With me out of their way, the lighter and agile GT3's would keep more of their momentum and keep a faster overall speed than me. On the track, exit speed out of a corner is more important than pure acceleration down the straights.

Once I went to a GT3 my lap times dropped as well. I am now the person who comes rogering up on a high HP Turbo through the corners and are on their tail through the exits. Catching a turbo on a road course is just a matter of driving well through corners until you pass them (given equal driver skill).

Of course, as someone else mentioned, a course layout with very long straights would tip the advantage to the turbo as far as lap times go.

Since you've stated you been to track schools and such, the GT3 is really the only choice here. (It'll also retain its value a little bit better, too.)

Dan

Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
I agree with docdan, i would like trade my modded Turbo for the new GT3 RS... must be a beast on the circuit

Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
kush is infamous around these parts
I recently traded my 07 TT for an 07 GT3 because I was enjoying the track more and more. No question the GT3 is more designed for the track. Don't let its reputation scare you. Drive within your limits and you'll be fine, particularly if you get a new one which comes with PSM.

GT3, much more fun, sharp, light, with more linear throttle response, etc, etc. The drive to the track (assuming you drive the car you track and it takes a few hours) is definitely more pleasant in the turbo.

Good luck and have fun with your decision.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
your choice for track car is clearly the 2010 gt3. possibly last 911 with the gt1 block. the problem with the tt on the track, and mine is heavily modified and run hard at a high hp track, is the balance with the weight up front...makes the setup difficult and u fight understeer everywhere. you could run toe in and lots of camber and turn off pasm but won't be fun sawing a 3400lb car with huge torque and turbo lag. the compromise is too great and expensive to turn the turbo into a so/so track car, $25k minimum, after which you'll just spend $100k for a cup anyway and not get the value out of your modded beast! just my 2cents after 1.5 years of trying

Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
hughp3 is infamous around these parts
Well I have decide on.... a 997 GT3. I spoke to a racer (http://rogerburdette.com/) and he convinced me it is the way go. Put a 4 point in it , 5 point harness and we are off. I am literally shaking as I type this. thanks all.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
I'd opt for a GT3 all day but seeing those 750HP TT's at Road America hit 170mph before Canada Corner is a sight to see.

My good friend has a track-only 996TT that demolishes everything in its path. So I would say it's a combination of both car and driver.

and I know this is blasphemy but a Viper ACR is the ultimate track weapon.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jamuz
your choice for track car is clearly the 2010 gt3. possibly last 911 with the gt1 block. the problem with the tt on the track, and mine is heavily modified and run hard at a high hp track, is the balance with the weight up front...makes the setup difficult and u fight understeer everywhere. you could run toe in and lots of camber and turn off pasm but won't be fun sawing a 3400lb car with huge torque and turbo lag. the compromise is too great and expensive to turn the turbo into a so/so track car, $25k minimum, after which you'll just spend $100k for a cup anyway and not get the value out of your modded beast! just my 2cents after 1.5 years of trying
I have to agree. To make a turbo a real track weapon takes a lot of $$$ in suspension mods. For a somewhat experienced driver, the GT3 is the right choice. For the beginner, the tt gives you some margin for error.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c2mojo
and I know this is blasphemy but a Viper ACR is the ultimate track weapon.
+1

GT3 vs TT... at the tracks I am it, it would take significant mods to a TT to beat the well driven GT3s...

Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
+1

GT3 vs TT... at the tracks I am it, it would take significant mods to a TT to beat the well driven GT3s...
Unless Jerry is driving the TT, then you will never get by him.

Last edited by NorthVan; 10-16-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
If i were u i'd go for the GT3, because it IS made for the track, more so than the Turbo. It doesn't mean its the faster one. Another thing to consider is what you really want out of the car...
-do you want to turn faster laps?
-do you want the feel of driving a great chassis for the track or something more compliant?
-driving thrill and experience
-mod potential in terms of power?
Lets look at it this way, Cargraphics RSC 997TT, its one fast car, and it shows that the TT has a lot of potential, and on smaller tracks, it may even match the GT3s time...
If you decide you want a track car, you're gonna spend a lot of money, to get a GT3 to match the Cargraphics RSC 997TT is impossible, but to get a TT to match a GT3 in terms of LAPTIMES, it won't be too hard (however impossible to replicate driving experience of the GT3).
If you are looking for a car for the weekends, and you don't wanna spend too much on it, I suggest GT3.
I was in your position once, but I plan to get a track car possible a GT3/rs but only after a 997TT as I use that almost daily cuz am so addicted to the crazy power and the Range Rover doesn't cut it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT3 vs 997TT - track car choice?